I'm Considering Joining the US Army

Programming as a Second Career - Nu...
Programming as a Second Career - Nuggets of Software Development Wisdom

Hello all,

I'm a pretty successful guy and have developed enough assets to retire right now; yet, I'm too young to retire so I was thinking that after I graduate law school I'd join the Army's JAG ranks as a second career. I'd need to figure this out before the age of 42 since that's the age cut off point. My cousin is an officer in the Army and I've seen how honorable a sacrifice he's committed for our country and I feel a calling to do so too.

Anyone out there an officer in the Army that can give me more details about the JAG program?

I am an officer in the Army but not a JAG officer. If you have whatever qualifications they require (probably a law degree?) you can get a direct commission as an officer. "Direct" meaning you are not required to complete Officer Candidate School, ROTC or graduate from West Point. I think you also get a higher pay than the average officer of equivalent rank, but I can't guarantee it. Medical professionals do. You would have to look on the army pay chart for 2009.. google it.

Anyway, if you get your direct commission you would then attend the Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC) II, which is at either Fort Sill, OK or Fort Benning, GA. Since you have no prior military experience, your BOLC course is about 11 weeks (rather than the 6 weeks the non-direct commission officers attend. You would be grouped with other new JAG officers like yourself. I don't think you have to attend any other courses after that to be qualified in your branch (branch being JAG) For example, my branch was basically logistics, so after I went to BOLC II, I went to logistics school.

I can't tell you what happens after that!

The Army is an excellent career. Both my parents were career US Army officers. I highly recommend it, and often regret not accepting my appointment (I was feeling rebellious at age eighteen). JAG offers some interesting opportunities, I've heard some good stories (I work on the DoD side of the world with a bunch of former military officers)

No prob. If you have any other questions, ask. Also if someone who is in the army suggested it to you, make sure they are enrolled in G-RAP so they will get paid for it. It's like $8,000 to get an officer to join the army, so if your friend or someone suggested it to you they will get a nice extra paycheck.

Archived