Ladies, how bad is the morning sickness and the exhaustion of the first trimester

tmp02161248

Alright so my girlfriend of 2 months is around 5-6 weeks pregnant (We didn't waste any time lol, though it's really pretty scary not funny).

To answer the common questions, I know it's mine, the condom broke on the 8th of Dec (Shoulda bought Magnums instead of using the free Lifestyles crap they handed out during AIDS awareness week at school), she told me relax, I'm on BC. She didn't wanna do morning after pill, so we waited it out since I don't have the conscience to sprinkle it in her eggs. Well she ended up being late, and the day before Christmas Eve I bought the most expensive pregnancy test money could buy (the kind that has the digital readout to avoid confusion) and found out the news. Is it nuts that we're keeping it? Yes, insanely crazy, we weren't planning on having a baby right now, we barely know each other, This is something that we're scared but excited about.

So now that that is out of the way let me tell you what's been goin on lately. She's been overly exhausted, like sleeps 14hr nights consistently and then more on her days off, her stomach is always bothering her, that's all I ever hear about like just this afternoon she had some exorcist-esque morning sickness. I've been reading some books like "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and "The Expectant Father" and they don't describe these symptoms to be as extreme as my girlfriend's. I know not every woman is the same but I wonder what's going on.

I think about if it could be twins since her family and my family both have a history of it. Then I think about if she really doesn't wanna spend time with me and is just saying she's sick or tired. We don't live together, but we used to see eachother 3-5 times a week, whereas now it's 3 times a week if we're lucky. I also consider that maybe she's tired and has stomach ache because she doesn't eat enough, usually due to the fact that she's sick.

This is all new to me so if anyone can give input that'd be awesome

Everything that you are describing sounds about par. Though, every woman is different.

Symptoms from woman to woman vary. What's bad for one woman might not even be a problem for another.

When I was about 6 weeks pregnant I was experiencing EXTREME fatigue. It was really difficult for me to wake up in the morning and when I did wake up I felt sick for about an hour. I didn't experience much morning sickness. I had a very little appetite. My stomach would almost always bother me.

Again, every woman is different. If her symptoms become reason for concern I'd suggest she not waste time and see the doctor.

Good luck!

I was tired, but not at all sick, the first 4 months I was pregnant. After that, I was deathly sick for the next 5 months. Pregnancy is hell to go through, so be very supportive of her. If her sickness and tiredness doesn't let up after the first three months (most do, but I know many women who had pregnancies like mine) you can forget about sex for about the next year or so. Nothing stops sex like pregnancy!

My first pregnancy was like that.....i was sick as a dog and to this day have not met anyone who had it worse than i did.

All women experience something different. I would not say she is making this up to avoid you. She might really be sick as a dog and very lethargic from it. First pregnancies can be the worst for many women.

My second was nowhere near as bad. Not that this info helps at all.

I am 15 weeks pregnant now and starting at about 5 weeks I was completely exhausted (as in barely could get off the couch and work was torture) and nauseous and/or vomiting every day until about 10 days ago. Every woman's body responds to pregnancy hormones differently, some women breeze through with no symptoms, others have mild symptoms, and still others have more severe symptoms like MS described, and all are within the range of what is considered normal.

You are right that hyperemesis can at times be indicative of excess hormones present in twins, but it is not always the case, I was miserably sick and it's been confirmed by ultrasound that I'm only carrying one baby.

Good luck, you both have a challenging road ahead of you. Pregnancy is hard enough when a couple is in a long term solid relationship, so yours will present special challenges. I hope you both have a lot of support and that your girlfriend is getting good prenatal care and taking her vitamins.

I tend to overanalyze things, but it's just so frustrating since she's been so distant lately, pushing me away. I just have to keep tellin myself it's the hormones, be strong, give her space when she needs it and then be there for her when she needs me to be

Yes, pregnancy can be trying on even the strongest couples. My hormones have left me far more emotional and cranky than I normally ever am. It's like PMS on steroids. Combined with the fact that you hardly know each other and are now saddled with this enormous life time commitment to each other and responsibility, it can be very difficult.

Archived