Would you apply for a job that your uncle can help you get even if you were not qualified?

Learn English Via Listening | Begin...
Learn English Via Listening | Beginner Level | Lesson 10 | Joe's First Car

I informed my uncle about my layoff situation last week and he works for a healthcare company and told me there is a opening at his department paying $45,000 a year. After he emailed me the job description and qualifications, I knew that I would not be qualified because it deals with a lot of public speaking and that is not one of my strengths.

So Do I take a job my Uncle can get me and end up unemployed again when I'm unable to perform the job at a high level? I know i'm unemployed but I don't want to take a job that is nt a good fit for me and that I have no experience in. If you were in my situation would you still tell your uncle you are interested in the position knowing you are not qualified?

See the way I see it is that you are trained at whatever job you hold, now if you are required to know a set of skills or have an expertise in certain area then no you shouldn't do it but if you think you can be trained in a few months to perform the tasks then go for it.

I am pretty good at bs'ing my way through a lot of things and took my last job extremely under qualified which lasted 2 years. I learned the job in a few months and just recently got laid off

I'd take it. Then, like Debaser says, I'd study up on the position and try to get myself on the ball ASAP. Remember, you CAN learn to do most jobs. Just be confident and believe in yourself.

The last long-term job I had, I got it through someone I know. It was for a position that I had NO experience in and wasn't sure about. I took it and ran with it and stayed at that company for 7 years until I moved away.

Is the job being offered to you or do you have to interview for it first? Is the salary much different than what you were getting before? Is the job within your field or radically different? Do you think public speaking is something you could learn to do well over time or would it be something that would make you very miserable? The bottom line is that you need to weigh your options and consider the happiness factor, whether or not you can learn this over time and be comfortable with it, if you can afford to be unemployed a bit longer while you look for something that is more suitable etc.

I have experience in public speaking but not in front of LARGE GROUPS. Thats what you have to do as a healthcare representative and I don't want to look like a suttering idiot. I just don't want to set myself up to fail and be unemployed again.

See it's nothing wrong with accepting a new challenge when it's YOUR decision but not when you have NOTHING and can be in a similar situation if you can't perform the job at a high level.

If public speaking is the *only* hurdle that's keeping you from taking this job, I would, as others have already said, take the job and work on the public speaking skills.

There are skill sets you can acquire in a fairly short amount of time and there are those you cant; to *me,* public speaking would fall into the first category. And yes, I do not like public speaking as well but I also had to learn how to step out of my comfort zone for my particular profession.

Good luck!

For one its the old addage of "its not what you know but who you know." This is too true.

Second most job descriptions are BS. They dont really reflect the job and its duties. Also how many people do you think that get new job are already qualified. I can tell you its not 100%.

Fact is and most employers now this that they will not always find someone who ticks off 100% of the of the job qualifications. Smart employers will take someone who is sharp, willing to learn and has an attitude of can do before taking someone who doesnt have those but has tons of experience. Smart employers think about what you can do beyond this job.

I would only say dont take it if you arent willing to learn and dont think the job will either appeal to you or help you grow.

If public speaking is the *only* hurdle that's keeping you from taking this job, I would, as others have already said, take the job and work on the public speaking skills.

There are skill sets you can acquire in a fairly short amount of time and there are those you cant; to *me,* public speaking would fall into the first category. And yes, I do not like public speaking as well but I also had to learn how to step out of my comfort zone for my particular profession.

Good luck!

I just told him I decided to apply for the position. It seems like since telling him earlier today I don't think I would be a good fit for the position, he was not that aggressive in emailing me back.

I have experience in public speaking but not in front of LARGE GROUPS. Thats what you have to do as a healthcare representative and I don't want to look like a suttering idiot. I just don't want to set myself up to fail and be unemployed again.

See it's nothing wrong with accepting a new challenge when it's YOUR decision but not when you have NOTHING and can be in a similar situation if you can't perform the job at a high level.

It sounds like the real issue here is just your fears..fear of failure. Don't let your fears stop you...it won't take long for you to be able to adapt to speaking in front of large groups if you have already done it for small groups.

For one its the old addage of "its not what you know but who you know." This is too true.

Second most job descriptions are BS. They dont really reflect the job and its duties. Also how many people do you think that get new job are already qualified. I can tell you its not 100%.

Fact is and most employers now this that they will not always find someone who ticks off 100% of the of the job qualifications. Smart employers will take someone who is sharp, willing to learn and has an attitude of can do before taking someone who doesnt have those but has tons of experience. Smart employers think about what you can do beyond this job.

I would only say dont take it if you arent willing to learn and dont think the job will either appeal to you or help you grow.

Excellent post.

Most training for a job occurs once you've acquired the job.

It sounds like the real issue here is just your fears..fear of failure. Don't let your fears stop you...it won't take long for you to be able to adapt to speaking in front of large groups if you have already done it for small groups.

just read the qualificatons again and when they see my resume I won't have to worry about being called in for interview because I don't meet none of the qualifications for the position. Plus i noticed that employees who refer that job to someone gets a bonus so now everything is making sense.

LOL

CD are you sure he is offering you this job? IF so, very few companies allow you to work directly for a relative. YOu can work there, but not as his direct report. Secondly, if it isn't in his department, i'd venture to say the manager of that dept has the final say if you are hired.

We see it happen all the time where i work where people refer their friends and family to jobs, but they still have to interview, test, go thru background checks, etc. Now maybe this is a small family run business and this doesn't apply, but if it is calling for giving presentations it sounds more like a larger business.

Lastly, giving presentations is not something everyone does well or even WANTS to do. If you have never done it, you don't want to take a job and then be so pressured to learn a new role AND trying to learn the core competenices all at the same time.

My vote is no, if you really do not think you are qualified don't take it if offered unless you TRULY believe you can step up to the plate. Back in the day before I had finally mastered giving presentations and facilitating meetings I would have had a very difficult time starting a brand new job AND trying to master that skill. It would be VERY stressful and you seem like someone who stresses out easy wtih new and unknown situations.

Think long and hard about it. I would never take a job i really knew I was not qualified for. I wouldn't want to set myself up to fail.

Now if they are telling you that you will have a few months to learn what you don't know that is different. I know for jobs I have hired for we can't afford to train the person on the core competencies of the job. They have to already know it. For example if i hire a project manager, they HAVE to already know how to lead projects and that sounds very ambiguous to the reader of the job profile, but it is far more involved than that. They also need to know how to use statistical analysis tools, assemble teams from accross the org to solve a problem, they need six sigma experience to be able to establish baselines and then work out solutions to improve. They need to be extremely quick learners as every project is in a new area and they not only have to do the job but learn exactly what others do in THEIR jobs in their department and then map it out and put it into flowcharts. But from the job description everyone thinks they can do the job so everyone applies....

Job profiles and descriptions are almost always ambiguous and vague. Talk to someone who does this job if you can to find out the REAL skinny. I would love to tell you to go for it, but if you truly don't feel you meet the qualifications, then think real hard about it first.

What are the other job skills required CD? Have you ever facilitated meetings or given presentations? Do you know how to go about putting them into presentation format and do you know how to engage the audience, and deliver a message in front of 20+ people on a regular basis?

just read the qualificatons again and when they see my resume I won't have to worry about being called in for interview because I don't meet none of the qualifications for the position. Plus i noticed that employees who refer that job to someone gets a bonus so now everything is making sense.

LOL

That is exactly what I thought. You can ignore my last post (unless you ever are in this position legitimately, then it might help).

Just like at my job everyone refers friends and family looking for that bonus, but nine times out of ten it falls thru because they have to go thru all the interviews, be the final selected candidate, go thru testing then pass the background check.

YOur uncle should not have given you false hope like that. I had a feeling that he was not legit.

I'd like to add I am sorry about your layoff. This is happening to so many people right now, and for lack of better words - it plain sucks.

yeah I have had some time to get over it and 8 days later have my resume uploaded to 11 different sites. My last day is thursday and I will say goodbye to friends for the last time.

I have spoke in front of large groups but not co-workers, people who I was trying to recruit for a job training program in urban areas.

If this happens in the future just make sure you understand the role completely, and there is nothing wrong with calling someone - the manager, or the recruiter - someone - to dig deep and find out if you are qualified.

I have seen way too many people take jobs they are not qualfied for and they become so pressured and stressed, and often are fired or have to quit. Now i am not saying the job in question would have ended this way for you, but you stated you didn't feel you met any or most of the qual's so in the future just dig into it a bit and make sure it is a match....

As some said no candidate usually ticks off every checkmark but if the main skills are not present it hurts the employee as much or more than the company.

I feel like i can pick up most anything quickly but I won't take a job I am not qualified for - self preservation more than anything else. That doesn't mean I don't like challenges, to the contrary. But I want to do the employer and myself a favor and make sure the critical skills and competencies I already have OR make sure I understand if they can be amiable to training me on them if I don't.

what annoyed me is that I emailed him my resume detailing a summary of my qualifications and he never once took the time to see that the position the emailed me about was not a match to my work experience.

Happens all the time.....i am sure he had SOME good intentions, but some of those intentions had to do with that bonus referral. LOL

yeah I have had some time to get over it and 8 days later have my resume uploaded to 11 different sites. My last day is thursday and I will say goodbye to friends for the last time.

I am sorry things had to turn out this way. It will be hard for you to leave. Hopefully an even better job is just around the corner.

Archived