Extremely Low Iron - Any Tips for getting better & dealing with people who dont get it?

villie

Quinoa, lentils and spinach have been heaven sent for me.

I was born in Peru, and quinoa was always in abundance but I never enjoyed it as a little kid. Then I moved here and forget it, most people didn't even know what that was so I never thought I'd eat it again.

I introduced it back in my diet when I began really feeling sluggish, weak and miserable, even worse during my menstrual cycles. My grandmother and mom were anemic with iron deficiency.

I learned how to make yummy dishes with these three ingredients and ever since I've been much better. I've actually been great.

I've always eaten veggies and fruits, but lentils, quinoa and spinach are my go to strength foods.

I recently got my wisdom teeth out and got a bad infection. I have been put on some terribly strong antibiotics and I began to feel very ill. I made myself a spinach, lentil and quinoa puree and before I eat anything else I have a full cup for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I can't tell you how amazing I feel ever since I started that again.

I know it sounds weird, but if you make a "sofrito" - our version of sauteed, lots of onions, garlic, yummy herbs, add your cooked lentils, spinach and quinoa, season to your liking, add more olive oil and anything else if you want to get creative, then use a hand blender you can make it soupy or thick up to you- it's actually pretty tasty!! pair it with some brown rice and a piece of fish and you'll feel a lot better.

Or you can cook all them differently, make a lentils, add corn and carrots and some chunks of meat, sautee spinach, make quinoa "croquetas" and a piece of protein...play around. Good luck

Liquid iron is how I deal with being anemic. It tastes disgusting, but the liquid form helps your body absorb it faster. My coach recommends it... as athletes (runners) we can't afford to have the effects of anemia for long (won't do well in competition... training won't pay off).

Just pay attention to what the box says of iron pills. I got prescribed an iron supplement too (pill form) and it actually says to eat either an hour before or after eating... they want to simulate an emptier stomach.

thanks.

im 23.

ive seen a doctor just the other week, and they are sending me to a shrink now. they think its coz i might be depressed.... great! I had a rough time with it - guy troubles (had terrible regret, feeling used and that i made the biggest mistake).... i thougth he was great and he turne dout to be a jerk. i dont know if that and with feeling so crappy, its just made it worse.

but they haven't mentioned anything about any more tests. just talk to this shrink.

thanks everyone

ive notice that it seems to make things take much long to heal.

if i get a little cut, it bleeds like crazy! it never used to

i got sunburnt on half of my lower leg - and oh my god. its swelled up huge!, the ankle, the foot. doesn't help that i sprained this ankle 2 months ago and its still not healed either!

thanks everyone

ive notice that it seems to make things take much long to heal.

if i get a little cut, it bleeds like crazy! it never used to

i got sunburnt on half of my lower leg - and oh my god. its swelled up huge!, the ankle, the foot. doesn't help that i sprained this ankle 2 months ago and its still not healed either!

I really believe it is the aspirin. if I bump myself ..the bruise takes up to 2 months to go.I have had one bruise since november. If I cut myself..it looks like a crime scene..blood keeps coming out.I use tape to stop it. Shaving cuts take a long time too.

Ihave been taking iron and drinking orange juice for a week now and its made no difference . However I have been battling extreme fatigue..its from the medication ..I am certain. The only link between my fatigue is my cholesterol levels. When they are around 4.8 to 5.0 I am really good . When I hit 4.2 to 4.0 I am feeling like an old man. Yesterday I had a huge steak and califlower with cheese sauce.. Within one hour I was like a new man.. It was not the protein..it was not the iron..I believe it was the fact that my cholesterol would have started climbing. I know it doesnt coincide with the experts but I have noticed this on quite a few occasions..

I think its time to start eating more if you can and lessen the aspirin dosage if it is safe to do so..Of course ask your doctor first..

Good luck..

villie, sorry you're feeling so sick. Special K Cereal is actually very high in iron, 1 cup has nearly half of the your daily requirement. And give spinich a try, it's very good raw in a salad...get the baby spinich leaves if you can, they're really good and if you get the prewashed ones, no hassle to prepare.

villie, sorry you're feeling so sick. Special K Cereal is actually very high in iron, 1 cup has nearly half of the your daily requirement. And give spinich a try, it's very good raw in a salad...get the baby spinich leaves if you can, they're really good and if you get the prewashed ones, no hassle to prepare.

thanks Greensleeves

i'll have to get some special k. thats not bad to eat! lol.

yeah, feeling sick as well as a lot of hassles with a guy and getting i think maybe a bit depressed, certaininly doens't help things and work stresses! all came on at once and its a bit much.

Archived