Extremely Low Iron - Any Tips for getting better & dealing with people who dont get it?

villie

At the start of the month i was told i have "extremely low iron" by the doctor. I had been feeling awful for about 2 months. I also have SVT (heart), which may be why they didn't pick up on it sooner. They said its very low, to the point of being serious. In the last 2 months ive lost about 7-8kg.

Ive had everything from being dizzy, shortness of breath, tired, weak, loss of appetite, no concentration or focus, poor attention span, nausea, lightheadness, feeling like im gonna faint/black out, or zone out. I seem to bruise and bleed easier too. The smallest cut and it poors out with blood. Or a poke to the arm and i have a massive bruise.

I was going through trouble with a dodgy guy and feeling a hell of a lot of regret, which surely did not help things! lol. I tried to tell him i wasn't well - hell would you want to or enjoy having sex feeling like this? or feel 'chatty'?lol

Ive been on iron tablets for about 2 weeks, and the only side effect so far, was horrible nausea. The doc said to stay off them for a couple of days. Im seeing the doctor again on Friday as i keep loosing weight.

Are there any foods that i should AVOID? Not that i eat much these days.

I know i should eat steak or greeny leafy vegies but whatelse thats not gross? (liver! eek!)

Due to feeling this crappy, my performance at work is slipping a lot. I was pretty much given a warning by my boss last week. She is one of the coldest women i have ever met and she is like this to a lot of people (I used to have like maybe 2 days off a year sick, and get a guilt trip for them).

I dont think she understands really what this is. I say "low iron or iron definacy" and they just seem to shrug it off. Its like they expect me to be better over night. I was told that i seem to 'disapear' from my desk. Ha, yeah thats coz im in the bathroom thinking i might throw up! She is horrible!

Is there any way or or to say it in a better way so she fully gets it?

My work - is pretty mundane and boring. I am sitting at a desk on the computer for 8 hours, flicking through screens, and making phone calls. Our office is in a basement, so we dont really have many windows or open doors to get fresh air in, and where i sit, is in a fairly dark corner. no natural light.

So this doesn't help the 'no concentration' thing!

Any tips would be great!

I suffer from the same problems.

I don't take supplements, but I do eat a lot of spinach & broccoli. Helps a lot.

Also, if you're not feeling well, you're allowed to take a short break & step outside for a quick breath of fresh air. Nobody is allowed to tell you otherwise. Your health comes first.

I told my boss from day 1 that I have this problem, & I also told him that I have really bad periods. I explained to him that if I feel bad, I have to step outside for a quick break.

They need to understand.

I suffer from the same problems.

I don't take supplements, but I do eat a lot of spinach & broccoli. Helps a lot.

Also, if you're not feeling well, you're allowed to take a short break & step outside for a quick breath of fresh air. Nobody is allowed to tell you otherwise. Your health comes first.

I told my boss from day 1 that I have this problem, & I also told him that I have really bad periods. I explained to him that if I feel bad, I have to step outside for a quick break.

They need to understand.

Thanks. I have like 3 'bosses'. The top boss, i have told and he's very good. He seems to understand.

You'd think coz she is a woman she'd be better but she isn't. She told me the other day if your feeling so unwell maybe you shouldn't be here but you have no sick leave. HELLO! i have like 4 weeks! she is well... a b*itch!

i'll have to try brocolli

SVT heart probs? What is this? Are you on plavix? Aspirin? Lipitor? and or nitrolingual spray?

SVT is Supraventricular tachycardia

Which basically means my heart beats too fast. My pulse is usually above 100.

From that i get p,ounding chest, Shortness of breath, Chest pain, Rapid breathing & Dizziness

I do have tablets but dont help a lot.

thank you i'll check it out!

Spinach in my mind seems horrible. wouldn't eat it as a kid. whats it taste like? is it bad? lol

It's not bad. I try to incorporate it into most of my meals. It's really good in sandwhiches (subway, yum). I also like to steam my spinach & pour some lemon & salt on it. It's not my fav, but it's not too bad either lol

Dear villi,

So sorry to read your post...I want to help you. First there are things here to consider...As I mentioned to another person regarding iron deficiency several suggestions. I will start off by asking you regarding your heart condition, which is called supra ventricular tachycardia. Now does your PMD give you any medication for this?

The symptoms you are having is because of this condition and if you are taking iron supplements it may also add to your nausea. As I mentioned to another poster earlier tonight with a similar problem with low iron you must try and eat a well balanced diet of FRESH raw vegetables, oatmeal/cream of wheat (iron fortified cereals) drink orange juice because the vitamin C absorbs the iron....there are certain vitamins/supplements that hinder the absorption of iron and one of those is calcium.

I work in the medical field for a blood research institute and study nursing and see many people daily with low iron.

What does your doctor intend to do about your condition?

Now for your boss....I am not sure what country you live in, but here in the states you have a right to take PAID time off for health reasons. Your health comes first and if your boss doesn't like it then to bad. Do you have health insurance? You need to take a written dx (diagnosis) to your boss from your doctor and go on medical leave until you are feeling stronger.

Hope this helps...hugs and smiles to you.

I was in trouble 3 years ago .3 blockages..3 stents!! The 10th January. came out a few days later then had to go back in a second time They gave me betalock which slowed my heart right down to around 35 beats per minute and blood pressure dropped badly.My doctor told me not to go to sleep that night as my heart was likely to stop in my sleep..kaput . So I ended up in hospital again and came out on the 27th.. There was talk of putting in a pacemaker for me..never happened thank heavens..

Only someone who has gone through this experience can understand us properly...

So..low iron can be caused by internal bleeding..get another opinion..get checked!! I know your a woman and those monthlies dont help the darn situation but I think you need another doctor. Plavix and aspiriin alog with other blood thinners makes us bleed out alot..I cant even get my tooth out or I will probably die from blood loss!! So I can only assume theyve done it for you.. Light headedness can be issues with your blood pressure.What is your blood pressure like? I can only imagine that its very high when your heart beat goes up... Are you on cholesterol medication?? I felt like an old man on lipitor..I was exhausted ,lacked concentration..lost interest in alot of things .. I thought I would have to go on the pension at 39!!Are you on lipitor? Get some more food on your plate too.

Please let me know if your oin these medications...low iron isnt a good sign..try better dieting and supplements

Actually can I make a suggestion to try? Start drinking a sport drink every day..The electrical currents which control the speed of our heart beat require the correct magnesium sodium potasium ratios for the impulses to control the heart I believe... I have sometimes found that when my muscles or heart feel not so great this seems to help on a few occasions.

Yes, aspirin thins the blood among other types of medication...so if you bruise and/or bleed easily just have to be very careful.

Aspirin and other meds thins your plasma and makes it hard for your blood to clot and then your platelets don't stick together to form a clot, which stops the bleeding...some blood thinners inhibit your prothrombin to thrombin, which is a natural clotting factor.

Has your doctor told you about a procedure called radiofrequency ablation??

Yes. I have a cardaic surgeon who told me about a procedure that sounded like that. a wire will go through and they will make a little burn or something to redirect the blood or something.

i am seeing him in mid feb. i have also been referred off to the nueorolgy department. im still waiting for an appointment.

thank you dreamwarrior

Yes i am on medication for the SVT. i still get it though so i dont know if it really works. i have to take the tablet for it to work each day. dont take it, it dosn't work obvously. but i dotn want to be on them the rest of my life!

Im seeing my doc on friday again. i feel a bit better but my appetite isn't the same. food doesn't have the same appeal. dropped 7-8 kg in under 2 months.

and my concentration and focus sucks. i can barely watch 30 mins of tv.

there is a lot on my mind too - guy troubles. money troubles. which of course doesn't help things. its hard to focus on anything else, so all that crap goes over and over in my mind.

yeah i have about 4 weeks paid sick leave. i was gonna try and hold off until i get the procedure done for the SVT. i see him late feb. so hopefully there wont be a long wait. they said its quick, iin hospital for about 4 hours. in and out.

i dont know if anything else is going on. apart from an awful pain i had about a month ago just below my ribs in the centre and pain on the left stomach side.

Does peeling skin/cracking on the inside of the mouth - only left side, mean anything? its been there for while. at first i thought i might have bitten the side of my mouth during sleeping or something but its been well over a month or more.

Thanks Top Bloke.

Oh god thats horrible. Very lucky!

I would be just sitting at my desk at work, maybe taken 10 steps or none, and just sitting there and my pulse would be like 115.

With internal bleeding, wouldn't there be pain though?

i had some at the top of the abdomen and lower left side of stomach but that was over a month ago. The abodomen one was horrible. it hurt to cough and breathe.

Yeah, i was told that period can make you have low iron. but im the opposite. not heavy. in fact theyve actually slowed down so thats not the cause of blood loss.

They said my blood pressure was ok, so was my cholesterol and sugar. they were all fine. They did say my red blood cells were a little small.

yeah i have lost interest in sooooo much. I was worried that i was getting depressed. with guy troubles to, having alot of regret didn't help things. dropped 4 kg in a week! I didn't eat anything for like 3 days

Im not on any of those medicatons. maybe the occasional panadoll or maxalon. I am using Ferro Grad C for iron. they said its a high dossage. felt really bad with nausea. they said to stay off it for a few days,

Bingo!! Ferro grad is helping my wife heaps..Are you of meditaranean or asian oriigin? Have they checked you for thalassemia minor??It is typical to have small red blood cells with this genetic condition..

Have you got an infection as well do you think? Do you pee blood? Has the bleeding stopped at the injury? Hmm..its got me wondering..it sound like a condition that sux badly.. I want to help..I am giving it a go ..

I am lucky and feel good lately..!

Bingo!! Ferro grad is helping my wife heaps..Are you of meditaranean or asian oriigin? Have they checked you for thalassemia minor??It is typical to have small red blood cells with this genetic condition..

Have you got an infection as well do you think? Do you pee blood? Has the bleeding stopped at the injury? Hmm..its got me wondering..it sound like a condition that sux badly.. I want to help..I am giving it a go ..

I am lucky and feel good lately..!

Nope, im caucausion - or how ever you spell it! lol.

thank you very much for your help.

Nope, no peeing blood. The only extra blood loss i notice is the smallest cut, it poors out with blood. you know the little bit of skin around you finger, i must of pulled a bit off, a tiny spot, but it bled for like 15 mins. Even a small spot, it was dripping blood. ive never noticed it before. Bruising is really bad. there seems to be a lot of nodules in the top of my arm. i dont know if its muscle, and with the weight loss its more noticeable, but coz i can feel them, little lumps, its easy to sort of keep pressing on them and i have little bruises, its like some one grabbed my arm.

When i had blood tests and they put that strap around your arm. i had a huge bruise there for a week. from the strap!

I saw a doc on sun and he said they were gonna get them together and 'investiage' coz its been going on for too long. 2 months.

With other worries it hasn't helped, but it was starting before that started. might have made it worse tho.

link removed

Sorry to confuse you with it.Alot of people have this genetic trait.It is typified by small red blood cells.Thats why I mentioned it.. Sounds like your lymph nodes your feeling there?

I wish I could help...I just am not sure on this one....Start eating more is my only advice.. Also ask if you can safely reduce the dosage of aspirin. I suspect it was my thinned blood that may have caused my fatigue back a while. I am taking the plavix and 5 mg?aspirin.. Our blood is too thin!! I can only reccomend one other thing ...go to the butcher and buy lots of liver.Cook it and eat . Or..get very high potency liver tablets.The liver meat is one of the best vitamin pills we can eat.!!

Good luck..I tried..

Just make sure you have a stomach full of food before taking the iron pills. They make me throw up if i take them on an empty stomach, and are fine if i wait til i've eaten a meal.

And eat as much red meat as you can until your iron gets normal again. Broccoli and spinach are good, but not enough if you are low and need to build back up again. Have roast beef sandwhiches for lunch, and steak or hamburger for dinner.

If you are iron deficient you really do feel awful and exhausted, so work on getting your iron back up as quickly as possible. If you don't feel better in another week or so, go get a second opinion, since anemia can have other medical causes that need to be investigated if you aren't responding to iron pills and eating red meat.

villi mate..listen... Aspirin and iboprofen destroy the lining of the stomach. The result is an ulcer. Possibly bleeding. I recommend you use coated aspirin as it does not have this side effect. This may be causing the problem. You may need some anti ulcer pills which may help

Just make sure you have a stomach full of food before taking the iron pills. They make me throw up if i take them on an empty stomach, and are fine if i wait til i've eaten a meal.

And eat as much red meat as you can until your iron gets normal again. Broccoli and spinach are good, but not enough if you are low and need to build back up again. Have roast beef sandwhiches for lunch, and steak or hamburger for dinner.

If you are iron deficient you really do feel awful and exhausted, so work on getting your iron back up as quickly as possible. If you don't feel better in another week or so, go get a second opinion, since anemia can have other medical causes that need to be investigated if you aren't responding to iron pills and eating red meat.

thank you. Yeah i had terrible nausea the other day. I took it on an empty stomach. then i ate half a piece of toast, but the entire day i thought i was gonna throw up! But dont, probably coz there is no food there!

yeah seeing the doc again friday. they've only done blood tests. they had to do 3 of them before they picked up on the iron......

ive been under a lot of worry and stress which doesnt help, and maybe made it worse......

villi mate..listen... Aspirin and iboprofen destroy the lining of the stomach. The result is an ulcer. Possibly bleeding. I recommend you use coated aspirin as it does not have this side effect. This may be causing the problem. You may need some anti ulcer pills which may help

thanks. i dont take aspirin that much tho. i sometimes take nurofen or whatever, but maybe a couple of times a month.

they need to do a complete phsycial exam really. not just a blood test.

villie when you have the chance, ask you doctor to schedule an endoscope for you. It seems like you have an iron deficient anemia and have a low hemoglobin level. When you say you've been feeling this way for the past few months and mention that your iron level is EXTREMELY low, it concerns me a little. I don't know the exact tests that you've done, but i'll say that x-rays, ct scans, m.r.i., don't reveal everything which is why in your case i highly recommend getting an endoscope done. There is always a chance that you may have a tumor growing on your stomach that could be cancerous and really an endoscope is the most reliable way of catching it. My mom recently was diagnosed with stomach cancer (gastric cancer) and she had the same symptoms that you've mentioned, the extremely low iron levels, fatigue, nausia, fainting, abdominal pains, etc and it had been going on for a few months, she got numerous tests done, but the cancer wasn't known until she done an endoscope and it revealed a tumor growing on her stomach. It was the cause of her low iron/hemoglobin levels. So i would definitely mention the endoscope thing to your doctor the next time you see him just to make sure. What's your age btw?

Archived