Writing a college resignation letter

glegend

I`ve given this a lot of thought and me and my dad are going to talk about this tomorrow.

Basically, I might be dropping out of college. I really really want to be there, esecially since I`m in my last semester but I need out.

Honestly, I just don`t feel that I belong. I seem to get picked on a bit my prof`s. I really don`t seem to be getting any help from my prof`s when I ask. This semster started off great but then I had some difficulities with my shop assignment and it was the first time I was doing this kind of assignment and I was taking a bit more time then the others. Basically, my prof marked my assignment while it was still 50% incomplete, then he had the nerves on coming and telling "I have to congradulate you on finishing the assingment, one hour ago I was looking at it you and your assingment and was saying to myself that you might not put it together". But then he also told me that I don't seem to be understanding the concept of the assignment and that I seem to be one of those students who needs more time and works slow.

I also got used an example for making a mistake. I made two mistakes and he got pissed off when I made my last mistake. When he did congradulate me, he did mention the two mistakes and how I was able to correct it even while I was on crunch time.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that I am not really welcomed there to learn. That mistakes are not part of the learning experience, and that it has to be done right the first time even if it is the first time your doing it. That I am not there to share on the learning experience like how everyone else is.

So my dad and I spoke briefly on Thursday, and he's like finish off this week and we'll talk about it on the weekend, well tonight he said we will talk tomorrow morning. Now I have to be prepared for whatever I choose. My dad says there is no point on me going to school if the program is no good and that I should find something else; maybe get an apprenticeship.

Anyways, if I choose to drop out I need a resignation letter to submit to the program coordinator.

My question is what do I need to write in that letter?

I don't mean to be harsh but dropping out of college in your last semester is a huge waste of money... I understand that you don't fit in, but is it the crowd you don't fit in with? Do you really enjoy the work your doing? It sounds like you are having trouble with the people there. I had the same problems when I went to a tech school. I'm sure you can go anywhere you want in the country with your degree and find the right place to fit in with. Oh and also keep this in mind.. When your at your lowest point, its time to bounce back up...

For the letter.. I don't know what to tell ya...

I don't mean to be harsh but dropping out of college in your last semester is a huge waste of money... I understand that you don't fit in, but is it the crowd you don't fit in with? Do you really enjoy the work your doing? It sounds like you are having trouble with the people there. I had the same problems when I went to a tech school. I'm sure you can go anywhere you want in the country with your degree and find the right place to fit in with. Oh and also keep this in mind.. When your at your lowest point, its time to bounce back up...

For the letter.. I don't know what to tell ya...

I get all my money back minus $100. I've spoken to student services about this already. I enjoy that I am doing, and really I guess that's all that suppose to matter right? However, when I'm in class working on whatever we are working on I really really hate it. It's not just the crowd that I don't fit in with, it is the whole class. I get the feel that I am not wanted in the classroom, that I am contributing person in the class, that people see me my age and size and that what turns them away. I also believe that my age and size is something that my prof's see and use it against me, I assume they think that I can't handle it.

I always think of the first verse and chorus of song "Go the Distance" from the movie Hercules

"I have often dreamed

Of a far off place

Where a hero's welcome

Would be waiting for me

Where the crowds will cheer

When they see my face

And a voice keeps saying

This is where I'm meant to be

I'll be there someday

I can go the distance

I will find my way

If I can be strong

I know ev'ry mile

Will be worth my while

When I go the distance

I'll be right where I belong"

I will search the world

I will face its harms

TillI find my hero's welcome

Waiting in your arms..."

However, it never comes true no matter how hard I try, how hard I do, whatever I do, nothing works. It just seem that all the people in my program that are the true slacker and don`t really give a crap about the assignments seem to do really well and finish way before the assignment is do. Yet I`m the one who is working hard and I`m getting nothing.

What kind of grades are you getting? Will you pass with a relatively good mark? You can leave this professor behind once you get your degree.

In the working world you will find that you will not always like and get along (feel respected) by your bosses. But sometimes you just have to push through it. This guy isn't going to be your professor forever.

I think you should tough it out. Having professors and classmates that don't like you is not really a good reason to drop out of college. You'll always have to deal with people you don't like, and you may as well learn how to now. Just grit your teeth and finish the semester.

What kind of grades are you getting? Will you pass with a relatively good mark? You can leave this professor behind once you get your degree.

In the working world you will find that you will not always like and get along (feel respected) by your bosses. But sometimes you just have to push through it. This guy isn't going to be your professor forever.

This past school year I've been getting crap grades, only time I get good grades is like in theory class. A lot of mid 50's to like high 60's. To pass with a good mark I highly doubt it, and really I'm through with getting crap grades. A lof of my academic class back in high school, I got crap grades only time I got good grades was in any of my tech classes and whenever I did summer school.

I think you should tough it out. Having professors and classmates that don't like you is not really a good reason to drop out of college. You'll always have to deal with people you don't like, and you may as well learn how to now. Just grit your teeth and finish the semester.

What about crap marks and when your getting picked on? When your looking at you work while your working and all you want to do is break down and cry?

Can you change concentration? Are there any tech courses you can take at your college?

My Sisters first year at University was terrible for her. She almost got herself kicked out due to poor grades. She then changed majors, and was able to pull off half decent grades.

You go to school to learn and get a degree (amongst other things). Not to feel wanted in a classroom. I understand that effects how you will work, and can easily demoralize you, and I empathize with you(I'm in college as well, but in the U.S.). However, this is a life experience and a bump in the road. It will reveal a lot about yourself at this point when you make this decision. What I mean is, you are 19, young, and still extremely inexperienced, regardless of what you've gone through at this point if your life. This is the around the age where you build the foundation of your character and what kind of person you are and will become.

Ultimately, you should do what makes you happy. But remember this. If you tough it out and get through it, it will help you immensely later on in life. Because you overcame something that heavily didn't go your way. It will make you mentally stronger, and better to adapt to the world. Throughout your life, you're not always going to encounter friendly/comfortable environments, and finishing out this semester will help you prepare for situations you may run into later on. Especially in times like these, the strong are the last one standing. College is meant to toughen you up, and better prepare yourself for the real world. And you're finding out firsthand that the real world is not always fair or nice. So finding an alternate route to get around this hurdle might not necessarily benefit you like you perceive it will. I also wonder how other colleges/companies will look at your dropping out during your last semester of school. Things to consider.

Good luck on what you decide

Can you change concentration? Are there any tech courses you can take at your college?

My program is all tech. It automotive service technician.

I think once you get out of school you will find somewhere to fit in and you will learn everything you need to know for your career. It may be rough at the start but whats better than on the job training? [Depends on your career though]

What what I'm thinking maybe I just go through an apprenticeship. I'm pretty sure what I've learned so far will count toward my apprentice hours.

Well if you do end up dropping out, I would not put it all in a letter. Talk to the program coordinator and as them what your options are.

After that, you can just write a short and concise letter thanking them for their help and how it's directed you to your conclusion.

What about crap marks and when your getting picked on? When your looking at you work while your working and all you want to do is break down and cry?

If your marks are good enough to pass, I'd finish the program since you're so close to the end.

As for feeling discouraged and getting picked on... at some level you just have to have confidence in yourself and your abilities regardless of what people say. I think you said that you like what you do (right?) except for the profs and classmates, so you just need to tell yourself that you are doing the best you can do, and if people aren't cool with that, that's their problem, not yours.

I wouldn't use this as an excuse to slack off. One of the things that's tough about being a student is that people are always telling us that we suck at what we are doing, in an effort to get us to to do better. We have to realize that people don't necessarily do this to be mean, but to help us to get better at what we're doing. And as for the ones that just like to be mean... well, screw them.

At some point in your life you are going to have the boss from h***, and he's going to try every possible method to make you feel worthless about your work, and you need to have a place inside yourself that you can go and say to yourself, "You're an idiot, my work is fine, and I'm proud of what I do." You do have to develop a bit of a thick skin.

Does that make sense?

My faculty advisor was my professor for my thesis class for my B.A. No matter what I did, he berated me and put me down. I hated him with a passion but refused to quit, I'm tougher than that. I never quit! I plugged on, got my thesis done with and pledged to never see him again unless I absolutely had to. I ran out of scholarship money my senior year and had to work an extra job for a year to make enough money to finish. When I finally graduated, none of those professors who always stroked my ego and gave me As were there to congratulate me. But this man was there, and he met me in the receiving line and gave me the biggest hug! He said, "I knew you would do it, you've got the brains and the drive! Congratulations!" No one's congratulations meant more that week. I realize he made it hard on me so I would grow strong and determined, and I did. These are the best professors, really. Please don't quit. You're stronger than that!

There's nothing wrong with quitting, but you're obviously quitting for the wrong reasons. There's a lot of bitterness in your posts on this subject. If you were truly quitting because it was the right thing to do, you'd be at peace with this and the bitterness would not be present.

If you quit in your current mind frame, you'll only make the bitterness worse, sorry to say. Don't quit unless you can find peace with this decision.

Are you going to quit everything you do because of a few slackers and people you don't get along with?

I want to quit because I'm not doing well. I'm trying my hardest to do the best and its not enough. I'm getting attitude on top of that by the prof. I just feel that I don't need that type of headache all the time. I don't need to be coming home every night, sit and cry wishing I die in my sleep because of how crappy things are. On top of that I just feel that I don't really belong being there.

if you've only got one more semester, you should finish. who cares what they think of you, if you get passing grades, even if you only pass by a little.

sometimes winning means just putting one foot in front of the other until you're done. i would take the attitude that you've put so much into it, you deserve to finish, even if you don't finish at the top of the class, they didn't force you out and you finished and have something to show for it.

perhaps you could get some counseling to help you get thru the last semester? this sounds like it has become an emotional stumbling block for you, and you might just need a little emotional support to get through it.

I agree with the others who say you should tough it out and finish. You're so close. You will regret it later if you quit. It doesn't matter in the long run what your grades are. Employers never ask about your grades. They care about whether you have the commitment to your goals, so that's why finishing is important. It shows you can face difficult challenges.

You are paying to learn, so if you are not learning it is up to you to ask for help. Don't let your money go to waste. You can talk to your program coordinator or an adviser or you can get a private tutor (I'm not sure if tutors are available for your types of classes, but it can't hurt to ask). Go to student services and see what options are there for you.

You can do it! Don't give up!

I had a TA who thought I was cheating during quizzes. I've never felt so much hate, because I felt my pride and spirit were being shattered. That was freshman year of college. I got an A on the first midterm and felt that I got vengeance by showing him how smart I was. But at the same time, I didn't really care for the class anymore so long as that TA was moderating it. I stopped going to class, and barely passed it, despite the good start I had.

But it was all emotions that got in the way of my judgment. I shouldn't have to care about an inconsiderate TA who would always frown upon me. You shouldn't care either about what your professor says about you. Just suck it up for another semester and ignore those emotions.

Archived