College and Parents issue.

sttriber

Well I've been going to Community College now for 2 years, have gotten good grades and now I have the credits to transfer to a State University. Here is where my problem begins I've applied to 3 universities, First one is 5 minutes away from my house which is where most people in my area go to but I've decided to give a chance to 2 Universities in my state that are up north.

This is where my parents come in and tell me, your doing better then we thought so why don't you just stay here. If I got accepted to the 2 universities up north I told them I'd give it serious consideration because I want to get out of my house and learn some independence. But now they keep on just hassling me about how am I gonna make it up there when I have no family up there and I'm not a very social person & don't have many friends so how am i going to make it work up state while im living in a dorm.

I've been confronting these issues trieng to get on their good side to see if they could just give me some leniency. I told them it would only be 2 years I'd be up there. Then they mention to me why don't i just end my undergraduate program here in the university near home and then go for a master's elsewhere. I've talked to them and told them that they would give me the same slack about it.

I have a program called pre-paid in which my parents paid for the 4 years of college here in my state and so moving up north of my state wouldn't be a problem.

It just seems funny that when I entered community college they told me in 2 years I could get out of the city and now they want me to stay. Just gets me a bit angry.

Do what is best for you.

You are going to have to be away from them eventually and going to college and having that experience of living in a dorm and having that opportunity to go north and everything already having been paid for is awesome.

Maybe write them a letter outlining your feelings and explain that you need to do what is best for you.

Well I've spoken to both of my parents and we have come to a consensus If I get accepted to the school up north they will help me with rent but everything else like food,books & gas I will have to pay just like im doing now. So It seems no more conflict has arisen since the conversation. So I guess its up to the school to accept me & leave it to fate.

Archived