How many calories do you need to consume in a day?

2,200 for the average female.

about 2,500 for the average male.

However, it really depends on your metabolism (I know someone who must consume over 3,500 calories daily to maintain their weight), what your target weight is, and your current weight.

You should never eat below 1,200 calories as a girl or 1,400 calories as a guy or you are at risk to enter starvation mode.

It really depends on so many things.

I'm a 21 year old female. I go to the gym on average about 2-4 times a week and my job consists of 8 hours on my feet. So, I need more calories than people with less activity and less calories than someone with a very high activity rate. Generally, I eat about 1 500 calories/day.

I am sure my calorie intake is about 1000 or less a day. I don't eat breakfast. For lunch I usually eat a sandwhich, or oatmeal. Sometimes I skip dinner but usually I have some cereal. I don't drink any soda at all. I drink tea, and juice.

So on that description, each day you just have some cereal (usually) and a sandwhich to eat, and that's it all day? In which case the question is: what type of each, and more importantly, how much? And how much juice do you drink? Anything with the sandwhich? Any little snacks during the day?

It is extremely hard to eat just a 1000 calories per day on a regular basis, and most people underestimate their calorie intake.

Another popular myth surrounding this type of eating disorder suggests the idea that anorexics do not eat. This idea is completely exaggerated and unfounded! Although anorexics are very restrictive with food and they indeed keep drastic diets, they are human beings after all and thereforee they need to eat! In order to achieve their goal of having a slim body, anorexics usually avoid foods that are rich in calories and thereforee they commonly follow vegetarian diets. Every once in a while, anorexics may also engage in binge-purge behaviours, eating exaggerated amounts of food at once, only to dispose of it right after, by vomiting or by using laxatives and diuretics. However, this behaviour is more common among bulimics.

Anorexia is more about the obsession with eating than eating itself.

Archived