Blood Donation

Hi, I turned 17 in December which means I can now donate blood (in the UK). I really wanted to do it so I went along to a local centre on Monday 12th to donate. When I got there I filled out all the forms and they were fine, and my iron test was absolutely fine aswell but when it came to actually donating none of the nurses could find a vein big enough/strong enough to take my donation from.

I don't know if anyone here knows anything about this/has experienced the same problem before, but I just wondered whether there was any point in me trying again? And if so, is there anything I could do to improve my chances?

I did look on the UK blood donation website but I couldn't find any relevant information and I couldn't find any means of contacting them about this kind of query.

Thanks Any feedback at all would be wonderful, I'm really passionate about doing this.

They did suggest originally that it may have been caused by dehydration but I pointed out that it's been a problem before when I've had blood tests.

Is it worth trying again though? And just drinking lots before hand? If my veins are just naturally small will I just have this problem every time I go? I don't want to waste their time if I'm not going to be able to donate.

I hadn't thought about low blood pressure.. This is going to sound dumb but is there anything that can be done to get blood pressure to a good level? My biology classes don't cover it!

They did suggest originally that it may have been caused by dehydration but I pointed out that it's been a problem before when I've had blood tests.

Is it worth trying again though? And just drinking lots before hand? If my veins are just naturally small will I just have this problem every time I go? I don't want to waste their time if I'm not going to be able to donate.

Maybe you just have small veins then. Give it another go, make sure to drink lots of water before you go. If your veins are small, you will have a hard time donating blood, but try again.

It could be dehyrdation, but this has happened to me as well... several times in fact. I have hard-to-get-veins. You could ask them if they have someone with more experience on staff. I know how you feel -- I've ended up with some bruised veins because of this. Usually they bring someone in special just for the purpose! It's embarrassing, but it works.

I feel your pain!!

As one that performs phlebotomy... dehydration could be it... but it could be you just don't have the veins.. They use 16 gauge needles (hmm might be 12) and that is considerably bigger than a routine blood draw.

I agree, fill up on water, try again.. if still no luck...wait a year and try again.

Archived