'

Annie's Journal of Dating and Body Hair Removal

I'm glad things are working out! That's really scary about the break in though! We live out in the middle of no were - literally - but my mom always leaves tv on if we are gone so people think we are home I guess.

I heard bathroom lights are good. Bathrooms are somewhere you can be, any time, day or night, for any period of time without it looking strange. TV is good too. people watch TV all the time.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, he just wrote. he said that the way he remembered our conversation, I was busy until the afternoon (actually, I told him I was going to a yoga class in the morning). He said that his business partners arranged this, and that his dad who has 6 months to live made the trek to see him and that his mom died at 42. He said if he was blowing me off, he wouldn't have called me back. He said he doesn't wish me luck because of my 'ill-willed message.' (I wished him good luck in his search.)

Now, I hate emotionally manipulative stuff like that. How am I supposed to know his dad is dying? And even if his dad is dying, he has time to go on link removed but not to tell me he's out of town? And what difference does it make that he has a dead mother? I have a dead father. I told him, I understand you have to cancel and that I thought it was nice his family made a surprise weekend for him, but it's not respectful to have not simply texted or called on friday or saturday.

pfffft. not writing him back. good riddance.

I've had other interesting match correspondences today. 2 guys contacted me, both of which were barely literate. I mean it, a 3rd grader could write better. As in one wrote 'funy' when he meant 'funny.' at that level, yeah. Or when we get a 13 year old poster who writes all in netspeak? yeah, one wrote his whole profile that way. Did they read I had a PhD? I was thinking about cutting and pasting some stuff, but seriously, that would be downright mean. wow. I'm not a grammar Nazi or anything of the sort, but I mean, he can't sound like an idiot.

Another guy wrote, he's 42. I thanked him for writing, but I had to tell him that the age gap was too much for me. Which it is. I do feel uncomfortable with 40 and above. Especially when it comes to dance teacher's husbands and men who don't look like Brad Pitt. If you're a hot 40 something, fine. Rotund and bald? No. no thanks.

I've been chatting with a tennis instructor my age (seems like an interesting guy!) and just wrote to a 29 year old. We'll see... I find those more promising matches....

Maybe they were looking for a sugar momma? Saw you had a PhD and went 'cha-ching!' Kidding aside, wow. I mean, I don't have the best grammar but come on people.

lol, Annie is age-ist! Did I spell that right? But I understand and am a bit myself. When I was on Match (albeit BRIEF) I ignored all requests from guys younger than me and 5 years older. 5 years older is my limit - L fit just in under the radar, lol!

The post-doc salary is not fabulous, at all, for the amount of education we have. Then again, if I go into industry, I would be making decent money, that is, if I could even find a job in biotech these days, which I kind of doubt. Oh well, I am in the protective cocoon of academia for a few more years.... but I am definitely thinking of my next job already - how to line up my skills for that, meeting the right people, etc.

My age criteria are 27-38 on my profile. Truthfully, over 35 I already feel uncomfortable with, so 38 is a stretch for me, and 42 is too much of a stretch unless I have some really good reason to consider that. Money is not that important to me, so it definitely has to be sex appeal, lol.

2 guys contacted me, both of which were barely literate. I mean it, a 3rd grader could write better. As in one wrote 'funy' when he meant 'funny.' at that level, yeah. Or when we get a 13 year old poster who writes all in netspeak? yeah, one wrote his whole profile that way. Did they read I had a PhD? I was thinking about cutting and pasting some stuff, but seriously, that would be downright mean. wow. I'm not a grammar Nazi or anything of the sort, but I mean, he can't sound like an idiot.

Ick.

Yeah, if you have a Ph.D. I would imagine it would be an instant turnoff to get messages from Ph.Duh's.

The post-doc salary is not fabulous, at all, for the amount of education we have. Then again, if I go into industry, I would be making decent money, that is, if I could even find a job in biotech these days, which I kind of doubt. Oh well, I am in the protective cocoon of academia for a few more years.... but I am definitely thinking of my next job already - how to line up my skills for that, meeting the right people, etc.

My age criteria are 27-38 on my profile. Truthfully, over 35 I already feel uncomfortable with, so 38 is a stretch for me, and 42 is too much of a stretch unless I have some really good reason to consider that. Money is not that important to me, so it definitely has to be sex appeal, lol.

I don't think that's a bad age criteria really, I know some women who will not date over a year below or under them. I'm like yikes. But it's all about the numbers. The numbers look fine and then you do the actual math of how far apart you are and it's like... yeah.

So, what else I've done today? I went to the gym in the morning, pissed off some guys in the afternoon, and also watched Twilight's Part 1 of Breaking Dawn. Yes, I know, highly productive day.

Reminds me of this thing I saw on the internet:

TYPE YOUR NAME: Aaron

WITH YOUR FIST: aAZdfiobn

WITH YOUR ELBOW: aarfkon

WITH YOUR CHIN: Aasrionbh

SLAM YOUR FACE ON THE KEYBOARD: About three things was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him--and I did not know how potent that part might be--that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

Hilarious!!!!

I've read the twilight series and watched the movies, but each movie just makes me wince more and more. I love "True Blood." Much better vampires, imho. They're not all chaste and sweet like they are in Twilight. Since when are vampires nice?!?

Oh, and I watched the Valentine's Day episode of "30 Rock." IKEA is apparently where all couples break up over fights on which table to purchase, and it's where the skeezy men go to pick up on the single, pathetic women. lol.

I've only seen the first movie (never read the books). Bella's always been a weak female lead for me and I loath female leads like that. And I never got the sparkle thing. Why do people try to make Vampires odd? Like I never liked Buffy's version of vampires either - they looked ugly when they were about to bite you. Interview with a Vampire is how Vampires should be portrayed.

I've watched a few seasons of True Blood.

True Blood is dirty and sexy and funny. That's what I like about it.

I read "The Vampire Armand" last year (kind of a sequel to the Interview with the Vampire) but got kind of grossed out with all the sex scenes with pre-pubescent boys. I know that's what they used to do in old civilizations, but ewww!!!

Wow, sorry that S turned out to be a such a jerk!

This might not be that big of a comfort but at least you know that you made the right decision to cut him loose!

I'd love to take dance lessons but I have two left feet so probably would not work out.

Have you ever tried ballet? I hear that's really good exercise and also great for posture.

Others have told me that it's really bad for your joints so I'm kind of on the fence about taking classes.

Ha ha ha at the lol cats post.

Especially like the over use of the same image portraying bella and the triangle brows for Ed.

As for the netspeak, I never understood why it caught on in the first place.

Even when I text I use full words.

Sure it is funny in lol cats though.

Sorry to hear S turned out to be S for Sucks.

Lots more fish in the sea if you like fish.

Wow, sorry that S turned out to be a such a jerk!

This might not be that big of a comfort but at least you know that you made the right decision to cut him loose!

I'd love to take dance lessons but I have two left feet so probably would not work out.

Have you ever tried ballet? I hear that's really good exercise and also great for posture.

Others have told me that it's really bad for your joints so I'm kind of on the fence about taking classes.

I have taken ballet. I do like that the basic positions are useful for so many other dance forms. But yes, I think it is bad for your joints because of all the hyperextending that they do. Bellydance is great - it's good for posture too, and isn't bad for your body.

S is for sucks, huh?!

Tennis instructor wrote to me asking if I want to get a drink. Why yes I do!!

S is for sucks, huh?!

Tennis instructor wrote to me asking if I want to get a drink. Why yes I do!!

Hm..

Maybe it translates differently over there. : /

Basically meaning didn't turn out too well.

Well better luck with this tennis instructor.

haha, no, sucks means the same thing over here - not doing so well.

happy valentine's day all!!!

Ok, I just got another wink and e-mail from a 38 year-old man who seems to have gotten his 11 year-old nephew to write his profile for him. I'm not asking for perfection, but c'mon - try to remember some of the lessons you learned about writing back from middle school! Is it appropriate for me to write to someone to tell him I'm not interested because he doesn't appear to have grasp of the English language and he doesn't have the excuse of being foreign???

I would just ignore it.

My only online dating experience was on a free site but yeah, it's astounding how many profiles and emails are badly written. It's like the internet and texting gives you a free pass to completely disregard everything you learned about spelling and grammar.

I chatted with VERY few men because of this and only decided to meet one, who became my boyfriend.

I would just ignore it.

My only online dating experience was on a free site but yeah, it's astounding how many profiles and emails are badly written. It's like the internet and texting gives you a free pass to completely disregard everything you learned about spelling and grammar.

I chatted with VERY few men because of this and only decided to meet one, who became my boyfriend.

Ever since cellphones and texting, it appears people of all ages are writing in this way.

I think some some people may even see it as cool?

I remember I think 2000?

The high school I was in allowed students to write in text type spelling to answer their exams, so they were allowed to use 2 instead of to and b4 instead of before etc etc.

Great promotion for what is prevalent now.

Oh, and Happy Valentines day to you too.

The high school I was in allowed students to write in text type spelling to answer their exams, so they were allowed to use 2 instead of to and b4 instead of before etc etc.

Awesome teaching. Sadly I see the same thing far too often. It makes people look incredibly stupid and not using complete sentences and turning words like "seriously" into "srsly" is just saddening. Generally if someone I'm messaging either on dating sites or not uses "netspeak" then chances are I won't continue to pursue them. Shrug.

Ever since cellphones and texting, it appears people of all ages are writing in this way.

I think some some people may even see it as cool?

I remember I think 2000?

Great promotion for what is prevalent now.

Oh, and Happy Valentines day to you too.

??? We're the same age and my high school sure didn't allow texting for shorthand. Actually, I don't even think texting existed back then! lol.

Happy V day to you too!!

??? We're the same age and my high school sure didn't allow texting for shorthand. Actually, I don't even think texting existed back then! lol.

Happy V day to you too!!

It was after I left school, since I had younger friends who still went to the high school I went to, they told me about it.