Annie's Journal of Dating and Body Hair Removal

I know, seriously.

I had a weird dream last night that I was pregnant and didn't know who the father was (I met him at a club, one night stand, didn't use a condom) and then I decided to abort because I didn't want to be a single mom. Weird dreams....

I have a friend who lost a decent amount of weight and she is really proud (rightfully so!) and posts her nude photos on facebook. She will put an emoji or whatever over her private parts to get past the censors. I mean, she looks great, but recently she posted one of her in the bathtub and the bathtub had mildew in it and i was like, "arrghh! so gross." I just can't.

I can’t either! And if you were pregnant those photos surely would have triggered morning sickness lol. Forrest Gump was on last night and it was the scene where he learns that his one time love had a son from their one night together.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's better than my dream (actually nightmare) - I dreamt that I woke up with a bunch of live rats at the end of my bed!

Ugh! I’ve had dreams like that. Sorry!

I had the worst case of food poisoning this week (or was it norovirus - who knows?) It started on Tuesday night and I was up all night, it was awful, I wanted to die. I was also out of town for work so this was all happening in the hotel bathroom. I wasn't able to make it to my work meeting the next day, but my coworker covered for me. but it wrecked havoc over my entire schedule this week. Today it's Friday, my stomach still doesn't feel at its best. I'm eating yogurt to get the good bacteria back in there. I was in a town that had a big festival going on, and I couldn't check it out after hours, I was just feeling too miserable. I also don't want to eat ever again, lol. It was so awful on Tuesday night, I was watching a Law and Order marathon to take my mind off the nausea, then there would be commercials for food on, and I wanted to throw up again.

Dating and traveling for work - do they mix? This past month has been so busy. Most of the month of July will have been spent in hotels. I haven't even bothered signing up for any sites at all, but I will again at some point. My weekends are pretty free, I'm back home by then, but during the week, it can be unpredictable.

Dating and traveling for work - do they mix? This past month has been so busy. Most of the month of July will have been spent in hotels. I haven't even bothered signing up for any sites at all, but I will again at some point. My weekends are pretty free, I'm back home by then, but during the week, it can be unpredictable.

I traveled and worked long unpredictable hours when I dated. I dated men who did the same which meant less time to see each other but less risk of hurt feelings (which could happen even when I carefully explained how our plans might be tentative especially if they fell on a weeknight. When my husband and I were dating long distance we both also traveled which helped in the sense of meeting up in different cities- was fun and that way we multitasked. We definitely had dates where we were in one of our apartments or a hotel room and working!

• 2 weeks later...
I traveled and worked long unpredictable hours when I dated. I dated men who did the same which meant less time to see each other but less risk of hurt feelings (which could happen even when I carefully explained how our plans might be tentative especially if they fell on a weeknight. When my husband and I were dating long distance we both also traveled which helped in the sense of meeting up in different cities- was fun and that way we multitasked. We definitely had dates where we were in one of our apartments or a hotel room and working!

I'll have to revisit that in the future - for right now, I'm happy just being single and being with friends and working. :) I'd like a nice-drama free relationship, but I feel a bit too burnt right now from too many negative previous experiences.

In other news, my friends and I are planning our trip to India in 4 months. Most of the hotels and flights are booked, next I need to apply for a visa and get my shots and all that. Carol is bummed, she wants to go with us, but she is currently job hunting right now and it's difficult to make plans for a long international trip if you don't know where you will be working or when. I told her that in her shoes, I would save money while job hunting and perhaps trying to buy a new car, if the job requires it. She says she can afford it (has enough in savings) but there's also the issue of if she finds a new job soon, if they will be ok with her leaving for 2 weeks so soon into her working there. For many jobs, you have to build that time off before you can take any time off. Depends on where (and when) she winds up finding a job.

Wow -cool! I didn't mean to suggest that you "should" date just how it can work ok even when you travel a lot. I thought you were asking about whether they mix. Would you go to India even if your friend bails?

Wow -cool! I didn't mean to suggest that you "should" date just how it can work ok even when you travel a lot. I thought you were asking about whether they mix. Would you go to India even if your friend bails?

Yeah, it can work, I guess it depends on how flexible the other person is and accommodating.

Yes, still going to India. Right now, 3 of us are going, flights are booked, we've booked 1 large hotel for all of our cities (room with 3 beds). If she decides to come, we'd have to get a second room so that could get more tricky if any of our hotels are sold out. It's doable, but I think in her shoes, it's best to find a job first and then plan a big trip. You don't want to pass up a good job because they want you to start ASAP and you are going on vacation. Or you can't take an interview because you are on vacation.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much going on with me, just the usual. Traveling for work, then vacation. I have some upcoming work trips that should be fun, including our yearly national meeting, so I'm excited about that. This guy has been texting me a bit lately but hasn't asked me out, he's a friend of a friend, we've met a few times at random parties. He's nice, my friend says "he's too square" for her. She said he's on some dating sites including Catholic Singles or something along those lines, so I don't think I'd be a very good match for him if he's looking for a religious woman. In any case, he hasn't asked me out so I don't have to "worry."

I read some article on the internet about online dating and how women are most attractive and desirable at 18 and it goes downhill from there and men are most attractive at 50. One of my coworkers said something along those lines to me last week. Oh well, I can't help getting older, so can't stress about that either, lol.

That’s interesting although I don’t agree at all about the age thing. I’m glad you’re going to be traveling soon! Do you enjoy chatting with that guy? Maybe he has some non religious friends for you?

Hm, when I was away on vacation (and he knew I was out of the country), he was texting me some kind of odd stuff including kind of weird getting to know you questions (as an example, "if you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 items would you bring?") Not the actual question, but something equally odd to text a person who was out of the country at the time. :/ I mean, he seems nice, I don't know him too well.

I think that the online dating study was using the number of messages as a metric to gauge who was most and least desirable. Online dating wasn't really a thing when I was in college - the only people who did it were the real weirdos. Now everyone's doing it, and you're weird if you're single and aren't online!

Gosh, I had dinner with a few coworkers. One of the guys is married and seemingly unhappily married. At the end of the night, he whipped out his phone and played on Tinder for a while. He said he liked to know what is out there. I sure hope that he and his wife have an open marriage.

Not much going on with me, just the usual. Traveling for work, then vacation. I have some upcoming work trips that should be fun, including our yearly national meeting, so I'm excited about that. This guy has been texting me a bit lately but hasn't asked me out, he's a friend of a friend, we've met a few times at random parties. He's nice, my friend says "he's too square" for her. She said he's on some dating sites including Catholic Singles or something along those lines, so I don't think I'd be a very good match for him if he's looking for a religious woman. In any case, he hasn't asked me out so I don't have to "worry"

Depends on how involved he is in the practice of his religion. It would be great if you can get that information from your friend. Too square - does it mean that he is super religious? or he is just traditional may be with gender roles?

When I went to Christian schools, I observed that some people were looking for partners from the same religious community, primarily because they didn't know any different. They had been in that system all of their life. Once some of them realized that there are good people out there that are not exactly the same in every single aspect of their religious practice, but are that are still datable, some of them actually married those not-so-religious people.

I wonder if religious men are more likely to take marriage seriously because God is a part of that marriage. Prayer for guidance, patience, what the holy text says about loving your spouse, talking to the pastor - all guide their marriage journey especially during the hard times.

Few of my friends tried to set me up with some religious men and I told them straight up that I wasn't looking to convert anytime soon and if it had to happen it would be only because I was convinced that that was the right thing to do. Someone I knew from my school decided to convert to marry a guy and the marriage has been going strong for 9 years now. They also have a kid. Noone thought that it would last. I wonder if I could just manage to suck it up, my life would be different.

The guy, I'll call him Sean, did invite me out last night for tonight (tuesday). He asked if I wanted to go to a show. I said no, I already had other plans, but thanks for the invite. I wound up cancelling my plans anyway as I'm feeling under the weather and I'm just at home with a headache. I don't know him too well so I don't know how religious he is or why our mutual friend "Kate" calls him a square. She's not really a wild-child herself so if she's calling him a square, lol....

Carol asked me if I wanted to go to the same show and I told her no for the same reason. I then said she should call up Sean. She's like, 'ew.' Not sure why she said that. Carol decided not to go to the show because she didn't want to go alone. Carol's job contract is expiring in a few weeks which means she will be unemployed if she doesn't find something else. She wants to stay in the city but doesn't want to apply at any of the local universities besides our own (the one she currently works at and the one I used to work at). There are plenty of local universities but I think she feels like it would be beneath her to work at one of them after working at this one. The problem with a PhD is that you can get very specialized and then it can be hard to break into industry because you need to show you have transferrable skills and know how to do more than just your narrow field. I think it would be good if she spent some time working at another local university in a different lab to pick up some more skills, even if it is at a "lesser" university, just to get the experience on her resume. But, ultimately, it's up to her and where she will be happy. She has money saved up so she can afford to be out of work for a while. I remember being in her shoes a few years ago and I was definitely scrambling to get anything, it was a nightmare. I'm glad it turned out well and that I wound up with a new boss I liked better than the old boss.

I wonder if religious men are more likely to take marriage seriously because God is a part of that marriage. Prayer for guidance, patience, what the holy text says about loving your spouse, talking to the pastor - all guide their marriage journey especially during the hard times.

eh, I don't know. there are cheaters everywhere - religious or not. Sean and I are still texting a bit, haven't made plans to see each other. We'll see, going slowly.

My visa to India was approved yesterday and my friends and I booked the last of our hotels and flights and a couple of day tours. My period will fall during our time at the beach (boo!!) so I need to go to the doctor to get back on birth control so I can skip that period.

I'm just venting here because I can't really vent anywhere else. I've been asking my friends if they have leads for Carol. One told me yes, there will be something available soon at his company, work is easy, pay is 100K+ with a large yearly bonus. I told him to email her about it and then she tells me that the job sounds weird. Sigh. Granted, it's not her dream job, but I mean, this is certainly an option that is worth exploring and putting in an app for, especially if you have no job lined up right now. Reminds me a bit of Logan when I would forward jobs to him and he'd find something to nit pick about. And then the second he found a job, he broke up with me. Fun times.

Other minor rant: I went to the movies by myself a few days ago. I live very close to a movie theater and I have a subscription pass there. You can buy your tickets and reserve your seats, so you get an assigned seat number. I saw that in the theater, only 3 other seats were picked, including some in the same row, so I had plenty to choose from. I picked a row with no seats in front of me, there were 2 seats taken in that row, but on the end. People start trickling in, I don't think that there were more than 15 people in a theater that was easily for 150-200. A couple walks in during the previews and the guy says to me that I'm in his seat. No, I said, "I'm in my seat, E9." He's like, "oh sorry, we have E5 and 6" and then they walked to their seats, 3 down. Which to me was silly. Like, let's say that I was sitting in his seat - there are literally 150 open seats at this late night showing. You're going to make me move??

Other minor rant: I went to the movies by myself a few days ago. I live very close to a movie theater and I have a subscription pass there. You can buy your tickets and reserve your seats, so you get an assigned seat number. I saw that in the theater, only 3 other seats were picked, including some in the same row, so I had plenty to choose from. I picked a row with no seats in front of me, there were 2 seats taken in that row, but on the end. People start trickling in, I don't think that there were more than 15 people in a theater that was easily for 150-200. A couple walks in during the previews and the guy says to me that I'm in his seat. No, I said, "I'm in my seat, E9." He's like, "oh sorry, we have E5 and 6" and then they walked to their seats, 3 down. Which to me was silly. Like, let's say that I was sitting in his seat - there are literally 150 open seats at this late night showing. You're going to make me move??

So, two things. First with the Carol thing I actually had the opposite experience recently. Someone on one of my mom groups posted about a dream job at her doctor's office. At the same time on another group someone posted that her unemployed mom just moved here and needed a job. So I tried to connect them up. I replied to the post with the job details. Nothing. I gave the woman's email to the job seeker. She emailed -it bounced. It was right. I messaged the job detail person on FAcebook. Nothing. I felt badly that I'd gotten the other person's hopes up.

Second, when my son was 7 we went with some of his friends and parents to see a kids movie. The theater wasn't overly crowded, plenty of seats. The kids wanted to sit together while the grownups sat nearby but not right next to them. Fine. I was two seats away from my son sitting with my friend. This single person comes in. She immediately gets an usher. The usher goes directly to my son - who is 7 and small for his age - and addresses him directly, telling him he has to move because that woman has a reserved seat. There were plenty of other seats in that row. And it's a kid movie (which is fine, maybe she had nostalgia for it or whatever). I think my son was right in the middle of the row but there were other nearby seats and middle seats one row behind and in front. I said to the usher "excuse me I'm his mother" - the woman made us all move so she could sit in that seat. We already had all our food, drinks etc (previews). Yes, I went and still go to movies on my own. No, I wouldn't make a whole group of people move like that and especially kids. I think she apologized to me after but after we all moved. Which was nice but um, a bit too little too late.

People are so weird. :o why would you tell a little kid to move when there are plenty of other seats? Unless it was a handicapped seat and he was sitting in it, but seriously.

People who talk during movies bug me too, but I guess that's just part of the public experience. Some couple was talking most of the time behind me, i'm like, "what is there to talk about??? just watch the movie!!!" that's just me. I didn't try to shush them, that rarely works anyway.

People are so weird. :o why would you tell a little kid to move when there are plenty of other seats? Unless it was a handicapped seat and he was sitting in it, but seriously.

People who talk during movies bug me too, but I guess that's just part of the public experience. Some couple was talking most of the time behind me, i'm like, "what is there to talk about??? just watch the movie!!!" that's just me. I didn't try to shush them, that rarely works anyway.

I agree and it wasn't all for people with disabilities -we wouldn't take that seat. I also hate the talking. When T was under 6 or 7 I'd only take him to kids movies where talking (by the kids) was acceptable -and only during the day. I chose movie times that weren't popular if possible. Also of course I trained him early on not to talk but I was ok with him whispering questions to me about the movie. Now I will let him whisper a question if it's a kid's movie but he rarely does it and not in a disruptive way.

Oh gosh, who is the train wreck I dated 2 years ago? Can't remember what I called him here at all. But we went to see a movie and he wouldn't stop whispering/tickling me. I should have just ended the date right then and there. Dealbreaker! lol

In other news, my apartment building is apparently being bought by another company who is going to turn it into "luxury apartments." :o yikes. I don't know what's the timeline on the rent skyrocketing, so I may have to move sometime in the coming year. Ugh.

I'm just venting here because I can't really vent anywhere else. I've been asking my friends if they have leads for Carol. One told me yes, there will be something available soon at his company, work is easy, pay is 100K+ with a large yearly bonus. I told him to email her about it and then she tells me that the job sounds weird. Sigh. Granted, it's not her dream job, but I mean, this is certainly an option that is worth exploring and putting in an app for, especially if you have no job lined up right now. Reminds me a bit of Logan when I would forward jobs to him and he'd find something to nit pick about. And then the second he found a job, he broke up with me. Fun times.

May I please know more about the job? :)