Annie's Journal of Dating and Body Hair Removal

annie24

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg. I just pieced something together. Last year, there was a horrible tragedy in my apartment building, a young girl fell to her death while looking out the window (I'm on a high floor). I didn't know about it when it happened, but my friends who lived in the apartment building last year remembered it and said it was horrible and there were police and everything. I just looked up the name of the man I still get junk mail for --- it was his daughter. There are no guard railings on my windows, but why would there be - usually those are on the 1st floors here to keep burglars out.

I heard many stories on the news about youngs partying and going on balcony and accidents occurring all the time. Especially in large Resort like Cancun or Ibiza. The girl and incident you are talking about as tragic as it is is less frequent as I guess she wasnt drunk at all and it was really unexpected. Thanks god I dont live on 15st floor. I have terrible vertigo btw.

You open your windows and hope for a breeze haha. I have no balcony, central air, or pool. I also live in a converted Victorian house. I'm sure the homes where annie lives are older apartment buildings and probably don't have those kind of amenities. My best friend has lived in LA, Durham and now Alexandria and she has always lived in apartments like what you are describing.

How do you guys get any fresh air in your homes? Every apartment in Cali, after the first floor, has a balcony. It is just expected and almost demanded. Like AC and a pool.

I dunno where Annie lives. For all I recall of visiting LA you dont have much tall appartement building aside from downtown business building. Correct me if Im wrong... But its different to NY or Chicago for that matter. Or else live on ground floor. Usually more pricey though.

How do you guys get any fresh air in your homes? Every apartment in Cali, after the first floor, has a balcony. It is just expected and almost demanded. Like AC and a pool.

My windows open, but I live in an old building. I don't have a balcony. Those are pretty pricey around here. However, I haven't kept my windows open for most of the summer because it's been so hot and humid, that it's just gross. I have the AC (window unit) going all the time. I do keep my bathroom window open, however. Pretty soon, I think, I can stop running the AC all the time and open the windows.

Great, now my friend Lila is mad at me. She called me on Friday night to talk, I was asleep and didn't pick up. Same on Saturday night (Why does she have to keep calling at 11 PM??) She sent me an email on Sunday morning saying that her mom was sick and was having surgery today. I wrote back just saying hope she is ok. Now Lila texts me again to ask what I'm doing - I tell her I can't talk now but let's talk tomorrow. She says, "Don't bother." I wrote back telling her that I'm usually asleep at 11 but tonight I'm doing some work and am on a deadline at work and just can't be a good listener right now, but let's talk tomorrow night. Sigh. I feel like a jerk, since she wants to talk about her mom, I guess. But I really wish she would stop calling this late at night to talk, and I'd be happy to talk at another time. gah. At work, people are always asking me for xyz, asap, and now i've gotten into the habit of saying, ok, but wednesday at 3 PM or whatever. I've had to do the same with friends.

When people's loved ones are sick, they turn to their friends and family for support. However, sometimes those we seek support from have their own things going on and simply aren't available when we need them. I think it's unreasonable for her to expect you to talk at 11 pm if you're usually sleeping then, or if you're on a deadline. I've been there, and some people simply get pissed off when you don't respond right away, but that's because they need comfort and an ear. I get it, but at the same time there's only so much we should expect from our friends.

In my opinion if someone takes a couple days to respond or offers to talk the next day it's okay, but if it takes them weeks and months to respond then it is unreasonable. I've experienced both, and neither is good. When people say "don't bother, whatever, blah blah" that is just passive aggressive BS and they would be better of speaking with a therapist than expecting their friends to be available when they simply have their own stuff to deal with. You responded to her email; it isn't like you just ignored her, if she can't understand your situation, then that's her problem. Do not feel bad.

I can't talk at night either unless it's an emergency. I tell people this. I shut my ringer off after 9pm and stop checking email often around that time too. I have had friends get put off by that despite being available at other times. I think as long as you told her when you would be available then, no, you don't have to be available at 11pm. It was not an emergency in that way because she was able to call the same time the next night.

I dunno where Annie lives. For all I recall of visiting LA you dont have much tall appartement building aside from downtown business building. Correct me if Im wrong... But its different to NY or Chicago for that matter. Or else live on ground floor. Usually more pricey though.

You're wrong. They're everywhere. Where did you visit?

It sounds like it was an emergency. I don't like to take calls that late either but if it were an emergency, I'd rather that my loved one would call ASAP. I think most people would be okay with that, provided it's a genuine emergency.

If she's doing it regularly, well, I would just to be honest "I'm asleep then and can't talk but I can talk at x, y, z times. I care about you and want to talk to you and support you."

I can't talk at night either unless it's an emergency. I tell people this. I shut my ringer off after 9pm and stop checking email often around that time too. I have had friends get put off by that despite being available at other times. I think as long as you told her when you would be available then, no, you don't have to be available at 11pm. It was not an emergency in that way because she was able to call the same time the next night.

My husband does the same thing. On an iPhone, there is an option to mute calls from everyone except the 'favorites' group in the 'do not disturb' tab. Perhaps this would be a good option for you, Annie. Because he wakes up at 5 am for work, he doesn't want to stress himself out and get wrapped up in other peoples problems/drama as that would keep him awake. This gives his 'favorites' (myself, our parents, siblings, best friends ) people that do respect his schedule and would only call in an absolute emergency later in the night during business days the option to call in case of an emergency.

My husband does the same thing. On an iPhone, there is an option to mute calls from everyone except the 'favorites' group in the 'do not disturb' tab. Perhaps this would be a good option for you, Annie. Because he wakes up at 5 am for work, he doesn't want to stress himself out and get wrapped up in other peoples problems/drama as that would keep him awake. This gives his 'favorites' (myself, our parents, siblings, best friends ) people that do respect his schedule and would only call in an absolute emergency later in the night during business days the option to call in case of an emergency.

What a great function on a phone! I don't have an Iphone but that really would help me!

Venice, LAX.. downtown and Hollywood. Cant claim expert knowledge about other parts of LA. Sorry.

That's okay, that's Westside, downtown now has many, many, multi-storied condo buildings. I think they are trying to make it a mini-NYC. It sure is starting to look that way. Pasadena is all multi-floored condos on Lake now. It's just the trend. Venice is still Venice, no gentrification there. It's nice that some things stay the same. I live just a few miles east of Pasadena.

That's a really good idea.

• Top Discussions this Week

• Our picks

• 3 Simple Strategies To Ditch The Imposter Syndrome
      Have you ever felt like you're a fraud who doesn't belong? According to a recent article published in the International Journal of Behavioral Science, seven in every ten people have or will experience impostor syndrome at some point in their lives. We couldn't see our tribe suffering from this anymore, so we brought in the person who'll help you ditch this feeling for good. In this video, peak performance expert Shadé Zahrai joins Vishen to discuss how to supercharge your life and improve your self-esteem by constructing your own reality, leveraging your self-awareness, and regaining control over your inner critic

• 0 replies
    • 5 Things People Who’ve Been Mentally Abused Do
      Do you know how common mental abuse is? According to The National Center for Biotechnology Information, 80 percent of the population has experienced some form of abusive relationship and behavior. However, despite how frequent it is, emotional abuse is still hard to spot. Unlike physical abuse, mental abuse doesn’t leave any visible scars; instead, it affects someone’s behavior, mindset, and mentality. This means some people deny they’ve been mentally abused, and others may not even recognize the toxic behavior. So, whether you’re reading this to be able to recognize emotional abuse in others or recognize it in yourself, these a few things people who’ve been mentally abused do are sure to help you be more empathetic and kinder.

• 0 replies
    • 5 Polarity Secrets to Attracting Love that Makes you Magnetic AF
      In this video, I'm going to show you the 5 most powerful ways to create polarity in order to attract love. Think of it like a magnet. If you have a magnet, it is going to attract, but also repel based on its polarity. If you have a positive and a positive and you put them together, guess what's gonna happen? They're going to repel each other. Same with a negative and negative. But when you have a positive and a negative, they clink right like this. The key to attracting love is embodying your own sense of polarity, which really is the authenticity of who you really are, letting go of what you are not so that you can attract love easier than ever. These are things that completely transformed my own life.

• 0 replies
    • 10 Signs You Are Fake Happy
      Are you happy, or are you putting on a fake smile? Fake happiness can be hard to detect, but if you know the signs you can spot it.

• 0 replies
    • Do You Gaslight Yourself?
      Do You Gaslight Yourself?
      • 0 replies