Girlfriend lost her job...

Ouch... great way to start the new year, huh? She works at an ad agency where 80% of their clients are home-builders. So when the housing bubble burst, we got concerned, but they gave every impression they loved her there, and honestly, I believe them. They let go two others, as well.

They offered her a position when they get stable again, but a promise doesn't pay our mortgage. She's got 2-weeks notice, a month of pay, and 6-months of medical benefits. We also have a couple months worth of savings we can stretch thin, so we're not desperate (yet). But we certainly can't survive on my salary alone even with massive budget trimmings.

She seems to be taking it rather well all-in-all... but add us to the growing number of people affected by this lousy economy. I went through it a few years ago and it's always hanging over my head now that I might lose MY job as well (I'm in Advertising, too).

Wish us luck... ugh.

My dad is a home builder back in ontario...it's scary times in that industry. He hasn't sold a house since October, they had to lay off a whole bunch of employees, he's super stressed and it's hard to see my family struggling like this.

I am sorry you are going through the same thing and i hope she finds work soon...you guys strike me as a really great couple from your writing and i know you will make it through this...i admire your relationship a lot...

best wishes for both of you...

Sorry to hear that. The economy is pretty rough now-a-days.

How is her getting another job looking?

Dunno yet... she just found out about 10am this morning. I've asked around with my contacts and already have a couple leads. May not be exactly what she wants but if it gets desperate enough...

My dad is a home builder back in ontario...it's scary times in that industry. He hasn't sold a house since October, they had to lay off a whole bunch of employees, he's super stressed and it's hard to see my family struggling like this.

I am sorry you are going through the same thing and i hope she finds work soon...you guys strike me as a really great couple from your writing and i know you will make it through this...i admire your relationship a lot...

best wishes for both of you...

Thanks...

It's in the nature of economies to "fix themselves" after bottoming out, the difference between now and the era of the Great Depression is that we're a more educated society overall and the media, despite being less than positive, is far from the doomsday reporting prevalent at the time.

If you want to look into a market to get in to:

Energy Market

Technologies

Medical Professions

Teaching (not the best money-wise at first but the benefits and security outweigh it, especially in the science fields)

You girlfriend should look at this as an opportunity to do something she has always wanted to do, but never had the time. Start her own consulting biz, change careers, etc.

Being laid off isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes it is motivation to move forward.

Look at it as positive as you can...

There is no quick solution to this. It is going to take time before the economy starts to lift up again. Be thankful that you have some savings to tap into for now. Your girlfriend seems to be taking it OK so far. You're probably in a much better position than a ton of people out there right now. Keep a good attitude and don't lose it just yet.

Thanks everyone...

Day three and the sadness has hit. She's pretty down right now, but has spent the last two nights updating her resume. Nice thing is that her boss and co-workers are helping her search and giving suggestions. One of their best clients has already expressed a serious interest in hiring her. Of course, the client is a home-builder so we're not sure that is a great move unless they can guarantee a steady job for at least a year. lol

But we've had a very steady stream of support, suggestions and contacts so we'll make it through.

You need to assume the economy will never bounce back and look for work that will create obvious value. Like becoming an electrician or a teacher.

While I understand what you're saying, the economy WILL bounce back eventually. Housing will always be needed, just not to the degree that is was. This particular company has been in business for well over 30-years so they're more stable than most. And our city continues to be one of the fastest growing and more popular places to move to. Still and all, we ARE aware of the risks and by no means are heading that route unless we get 100% guarantee of stable employment.

Starting a new career path takes both time and money both of which we don't have. She needs to stay in her current career-track so we can keep paying our mortgage. I know she would love to go into nursing but it requires a significant amount of time and money. When we get stable again in the future and have some savings built up, then she can pursue a new career.

Week one of two is over, and she's feeling really discouraged. She's been cranking at her resume, contacts and looking for jobs but it's scary one week has already passed. Her co-worker who also got laid off is applying for the same positions she is. And a rival Ad Agency just laid of 7 employees, so they're out there vying for the same jobs, too. Crossing our fingers she gets lucky. She's got an awesome resume and everyone she works with loves her... we just hope something comes up.

I relate so heavily to what you and your girlfriend are going through. I was laid off of what had always been an extremely stable career back in October, in a tiny field and in an absolutely struggling job market (I'm in Seattle/Metro area and there are thousands of WAMU people out there looking for work).

I've applied for 150+ jobs in three months, anything that would pay a decent wage since I made decent money. My boyfriend and I also own a house together, and we got a roommate right away to help with the costs (although I admit that has been trying at best when it came to mending what was a rocky relationship around the time this happened). We are making due, but lately I am SOOOO discouraged.

If I had once wish, it would be that my boyfriend would be willing to listen to my disappointment and frustrations - but it's almost like he can't bear it because it stresses him out too much. Keep listening to her if she wants to talk. Be there for her and make sure that no matter what you don't get after her about not financially contributing as much as she did before - It's not something that she probably feels very good about. I know I don't given that I was financially an equal contributor before this.

I am sorry for what you are going through, as well. It is tough for sure, and this week has been trying for both of us emotionally. Thankfully we have awesome communication so there hasn't been any emotional outbursts or anything.

It is starting to look more positive, too.

She "interviewed" at a Temp Agency and they were incredibly impressed with her so that might bring something. She also has an interview on Monday for a part-time receptionist at a Raquet Club. It's not what she wants but it would bring in a little income while she finds what she wants. And last, our biggest hope is one of her clients. As I mentioned in the first post... they said they want to hire her and so far they're staying true to their word. The contact is on vacation but he said "not to worry" and that he would get right on it the moment he gets back.

Fingers crossed, and best of luck to everyone else out there in this situation.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's job loss. A job loss is like any other loss...it takes time to get over. It's hard to focus on looking for a new job when still trying to recover from the loss of the past job. It's not just the job/financial security that is lost...it's the co-workers and environment, which are often anchoring things in a person's life.

It sounds like you're doing a great job of supporting her. Given this economy, it's going to take time. Be patient and work together as a team. Encourage her to do as many things as she can to keep her spirits up and to stay focused. There are even support groups for people who are unemployed. I've heard they're a great way to network too.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Update: My girlfriend got hired yesterday! She's spent the last month canvassing the internet, craigslist, local job searches, etc and sent out a dozen resumes for all sorts of positions. Turns out the very first employer interested finally got everything in order and officially presented her a position yesterday. A small raise, great benefits, they're nice and stable, and there is big room for growth/promotion. They seem to be VERY excited to work with her.

She starts next Tuesday... going in today for a drug test and paperwork, etc.

*whew*

Thanks to everyone for your support and for those still looking... keep at it. Don't let a single day go by where you don't do something, and don't let a single contact go to waste.

Update: My girlfriend got hired yesterday! She's spent the last month canvassing the internet, craigslist, local job searches, etc and sent out a dozen resumes for all sorts of positions. Turns out the very first employer interested finally got everything in order and officially presented her a position yesterday. A small raise, great benefits, they're nice and stable, and there is big room for growth/promotion. They seem to be VERY excited to work with her.

She starts next Tuesday... going in today for a drug test and paperwork, etc.

*whew*

Thanks to everyone for your support and for those still looking... keep at it. Don't let a single day go by where you don't do something, and don't let a single contact go to waste.

Congratulations........I hope this serves as inspiration to others that are in the same boat....

Archived