Got laid off today

Bummer, I was planning on putting a sept transfer to sydney in today at my job. I come in and have a meeting with the boss at 9 telling me that they are cutting down and it is a good possibility I will get the axe in a month. I was given a choice of 30 days paid with benefits or wait it out and see. Not too worried about finding another job, I called my previous employer and the main boss wants to take me out to dinner to consider reemployment there. I am going to see what else is out there before I just jump back there.

I am just pissed I can't move to Australia, I just put my house up for sale and finally had the motivation to do it.

On the up and up I can take a few weeks off and still get paid or start a new job next week and make double for 3 weeks.

That's really too bad. Could you still talk to them about transfering to Sydney? They might need people down there.

Well the house just went on the market so I need a steady job to pay the mortgage till I sell it. I can still go to sydney with my exp but it will be a harder transition since i will be going from a global firm, current employment, to a national firm, old job.

I just feel like a bum, I have been working since 14 or 15 and never got fired.

george - don't feel bad, getting laid off is NOT getting fired, your company is likely as sad to see you go as you are.

Having to decide where to cut headcount in a company is not fun and is typically not done due to performance. It is a painful process, it's like looking at your belongings and deciding what to sell b/c you need money, nobody wants to do that. Just because you have to sell your car due to the costs, that doesn't mean you don't like it, or that it did a bad job, you just can't afford it and having a roof over your head and food in your belly is more important than having a new car.

You've done nothing wrong in this scenario. Right now it's scary, but have confidence in yourself, you will make it through this and will probably be very glad this happened 5 years from now.

george - I would consider a while before taking that role at your old company. Like an ex-SO, they are usually ex's for a reason and even if you can't remember now, you will soon enough.

I moved to the city and it didn't seem feasible to commute and hour when I could have a 10 min bike ride. I had it good there, I was treated like gold and was paid more then most at my level. Once I sell the house I can move in with one of my friends that are a bit closer.

Well the house just went on the market so I need a steady job to pay the mortgage till I sell it. I can still go to sydney with my exp but it will be a harder transition since i will be going from a global firm, current employment, to a national firm, old job.

I just feel like a bum, I have been working since 14 or 15 and never got fired.

Relax.... I was getting laid off every couple years for a while (aerospace ups and downs). It's normal nowadays and no one will look at you crosseyed because of it. I know it's hard to realize it often is about salary and benefits, but it's all accounting. One of my bosses was crying when he handed me my walking papers - the only reason they cut my group was that we were being paid out of program funds - when the program was cut, all the employees were let go because they didn't want to keep us on as overhead. And we had won awards as one of the top performing groups in the industry.

So be gratefull you have opportunities - that alone must mean that you are recognized for your work. If you want to move to Australia, set it as a goal and find a path to do it.

I was laid off on Friday, the 9th so I'm kind of pissed but have to start getting ready to go out there and fight so I can remove the unemployed label off my resume. The only small bright spot is that the unemployment period doesn't begin until february because I get two more paychecks in January. So i have a 22 day head start for job searching

I was laid off on Friday, the 9th so I'm kind of pissed but have to start getting ready to go out there and fight so I can remove the unemployed label off my resume. The only small bright spot is that the unemployment period doesn't begin until february because I get two more paychecks in January. So i have a 22 day head start for job searching

Sorry to hear this. I know how tough it is to be looking for a job. Hopefully it won't take you long to find something even better than what you had.

I'm willing to go down $3000 in salary once the job search begins

Hopefully it won't come to that...hopefully it will be a salary increase not decrease. $3000 down means $250 less a month (before deductions)...while it won't make the difference between being wealthy and not wealthy, it does make a difference in monthly savings because the cost of living goes up not down.

When I moved from one city to the next I ended up taking a $5000 cut in salary. However, the cost of living was cheaper in the city I moved to, my rent was a lot lower and I actually ended up saving more despite my salary being less.

Hopefully it won't come to that...hopefully it will be a salary increase not decrease. $3000 down means $250 less a month (before deductions)...while it won't make the difference between being wealthy and not wealthy, it does make a difference in monthly savings because the cost of living goes up not down.

When I moved from one city to the next I ended up taking a $5000 cut in salary. However, the cost of living was cheaper in the city I moved to, my rent was a lot lower and I actually ended up saving more despite my salary being less.

But if I don't have a job by 3 months then taking a job that's $3000 lower is not that horrible if I know hat's it no gauruntee that I will get another job offer in the final 3 months of unemployment. Then I would risk having NO INCOME after another 3 months so I'm not in a position to be picky right now, have to do the smart thing which is remove the unemployment label off my resume.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived