I quit my job and feel like it's over

I gave my notice and now what? For five months now I've been working in a social service agency and the place has been horrible. To give an example, they actually wrote me up for being sick - with a Dr's note saying I should stay home. I told my Dr. about this and he said they should be reported. I honestly believe it's either this job or my mental and physical health, so I felt forced to quit.

Like plenty of people, I am wondering where to go from here. I tell myself there are worse things than being unemployed, but I am over 40 so age discrimination is a reality, there are gaps in my resume, and I don't think I can expect a good reference (at all) from this place. I try to tell myself don't worry about references, as I may never even get one phone call. I have a history of anxiety and depression and all this is just stressing me out more.

Anyway, any words of encouragement? I sure could use them. Thanks.

You had co-workers, you can use them as a reference. And you can also use someone who wasn't your immediate supervisor. Instead you can use someone who acted as a supervisor at one time while you were working there.

In the meantime, make a schedule for yourself when you can do job searching. Treat it like a job in and of itself. You can also consider doing some volunteer work (in a field related to an area you want to work.. Also a good way to pick up a reference).

Is additional education out of the question?

I guess it is pointless to say you should have looked for something new before you quit, but you are in a tough position now.

I would say grab the first job you can and keep looking from there. In this economy we all have to be tough (assuming you live in the US but it's bad everywhere anymore).

Even if you have to take a job that is below you for a while, it's easier to get a job when you have a job.

Good luck dear. You'll find something.

I don't know about the US, but in the UK it is agaisnt the law to give a bad reference against a former employee, the most they can do is refuse to give one (which has the same effect I suppose). You could always put the head office address on a reference and most likely they will just write and confirm that you did in fact work for them during the period that you did and little more. They will not likely risk any come backs either.

Or you could look for a casual part-time job where reference probably won't be asked for. But the best long term solution would be to do voluntary work and gain a good reference that way.

Thank you all. Good thoughts. I should probably add that it was either quit or get fired - only a matter of time. I'm due to get my second verbal warning next week for not making my numbers this week. Then comes a written one, then another written one, then termination. Considering I was already written up for being sick for a whole TWO DAYS, this could have accelerated things. As far as looking for another job, I don't want to make another mistake, so this time I am going to get the right job, which would have taken more time to find than the amount of time it would have taken to fire me. They just fired my coworker on New Years Eve. It's stressful for all and I know everyone feels as I do in terms of having to meet the *numbers* and this in social services, no less.

I was volunteering prior to this and I am going to see if they want me back. Meanwhile I am having anxiety issues and something is wrong with me internally. I hope it's just stress and not something serious.

I don't know the employment law in US but in UK they will not let you off a warning if you resign, they will follow through despite your resignation and you willl eave with that warning on your record.

Times like this are extremely stressful so go back and see your doctor again, you need support and someone professional to talk to, ask him/her for a letter stating that you are too ill to attend the meeting so you won't have to face it, if thats what you want.

If push comes to shove, tell your next employer the truth, that you were ill but are better now and hope for the best. Good Luck and don't feel alone.

I don't know the employment law in US but in UK they will not let you off a warning if you resign, they will follow through despite your resignation and you willl eave with that warning on your record.

Times like this are extremely stressful so go back and see your doctor again, you need support and someone professional to talk to, ask him/her for a letter stating that you are too ill to attend the meeting so you won't have to face it, if thats what you want.

If push comes to shove, tell your next employer the truth, that you were ill but are better now and hope for the best. Good Luck and don't feel alone.

Thanks so much, Amipushy. I know my Dr. is on my side and would write whatever note I asked him to, including I take the rest of the time off from work. I've never been so stressed out over quitting a job.

Yes, they will pursue their termination policies with me even though I gave my notice. Sad thing is, they allow no time off once one gives a notice (and I have the time coming), so I don't even know when I could fit the Dr. in. They would treat it as an unpaid absense and write me up again, thereforee accelerating everything. Gaad, I hate this agency. I would have probably fared better not even giving a notice, at the rate things are going. But, of course, I try to do the right thing in the face of people who just don't care, quite frankly.

Thanks so much, Amipushy. I know my Dr. is on my side and would write whatever note I asked him to, including I take the rest of the time off from work. I've never been so stressed out over quitting a job.

Yes, they will pursue their termination policies with me even though I gave my notice. Sad thing is, they allow no time off once one gives a notice (and I have the time coming), so I don't even know when I could fit the Dr. in. They would treat it as an unpaid absense and write me up again, thereforee accelerating everything. Gaad, I hate this agency. I would have probably fared better not even giving a notice, at the rate things are going. But, of course, I try to do the right thing in the face of people who just don't care, quite frankly.

Why are you even going back? You have already quit your job so what's the worse they can do to you, sack you?

Archived