As part of my New Year goals...

Lights

I have decided that instead of spending money on eating out or other un-needed things, I'm going to become a member of the WWF and the ASPCA. I chose these charities because I feel that animals are the ones who cannot fight for themselves sometimes, and they are both big, respected organizations who won't steal my money.

I told my mom this morning - it's hard for me to want to go all "green", because I feel like with billions of people still harming the world, me buying more expensive stuff at the grocery store just because it's better for the earth isn't going to make any real impact. But I'd like to send money to those charities, to know that my money really went to help a sick or homeless animal, or a species in danger of dying out.

I don't want praise or recognition in my life - but I do want a clear conscience. I do want to know at the end of my days, that somehow I may have made a small difference for a good cause. Crazy, maybe, but all the commercials got to me.

I'm going to become a member of the WWF

I'm sure the World Wrestling Federation will appreciate your support. Those big sweaty animals need all the help they can get.

I think it's great that you're supporting animal protection organizations. If that's what moves you, and what you would like to see improved, then that's where you'll end up doing the most good in the long term.

I would strongly recommend, however, that you also get involved on a tangible, personal level, in addition to just sending money. While money is always needed (and that's a good thing to do), you need to feed your own soul as well. Stuffing a check into an envelope and dropping it in the mail can be a little detached. Volunteer at your local humane society or pet rescue shelter. See if the WWF has anything you can do to help improve or maintain a local wildlife habitat, etc. You'll be more personally fulfilled, and feel that much better about the money you're sending (since you'll get an up-close look at where it goes). This means you're much more likely to stay committed for the long term, and continue to help both financially and with your time and talents in the coming years. Everybody wins.

I agree with organizations like the ASPCA but have a hard time with WWF...make sure you do your research about how much of your money goes to the animals and how much goes to overhead costs...all the advertising etc that WWF does means a lot of overhead means less money goes to the animals...there are some really great charities where there is no overhead costs what so ever...

The charity i am involved with supports orphanages in Central and South America and 100% of the money donated goes to the charities b/c the businesses that sponsor the charities take care of the admin costs...

Just something to think about...

I agree with organizations like the ASPCA but have a hard time with WWF...make sure you do your research about how much of your money goes to the animals and how much goes to overhead costs...all the advertising etc that WWF does means a lot of overhead means less money goes to the animals...there are some really great charities where there is no overhead costs what so ever...

The charity i am involved with supports orphanages in Central and South America and 100% of the money donated goes to the charities b/c the businesses that sponsor the charities take care of the admin costs...

Just something to think about...

I agree that keeping overhead low is an obligation of any NFP. However, there always has to be some indirect costs. As you point out, the only way 100% of your $$$ goes to the orphans is because sponsors take care of the overhead. So really not all of the $$ go to direct service, after all, if there were no overhead, then the sponsor money could go to the orphans.

Fact of life that things like phones, mail, salaries, printing, and yes advertising cost money.

A good rule of thumb is to make sure than no more than 20% of expenses go to indirect costs.

I also agree hands on work can open your eyes.

I agree that keeping overhead low is an obligation of any NFP. However, there always has to be some indirect costs. As you point out, the only way 100% of your $$$ goes to the orphans is because sponsors take care of the overhead. So really not all of the $$ go to direct service, after all, if there were no overhead, then the sponsor money could go to the orphans.

Fact of life that things like phones, mail, salaries, printing, and yes advertising cost money.

A good rule of thumb is to make sure than no more than 20% of expenses go to indirect costs.

I also agree hands on work can open your eyes.

well that is one way to look at it i suppose...the sponsors still give directly to the charities both with time and money...above and beyond taking on the admin costs which is more than a lot of charities can say.

I personally would give to smaller less known charities rather than the big ones you see on tv due to their large overhead costs.

well that is one way to look at it i suppose...the sponsors still give directly to the charities both with time and money...above and beyond taking on the admin costs which is more than a lot of charities can say.

I personally would give to smaller less known charities rather than the big ones you see on tv due to their large overhead costs.

No doubt, you have to feel like your giving is making a difference.

National Specially-Abled Pets Day
National Specially-Abled Pets Day

Archived