I am a man, I have whisker on my chin. I now roar.

Clementine orange

i don't get it. girls cut their hair, dye their hair, do whatever they want to their bodies because they say "it's my body", but when a guy does something so simple as growing a beard, he's being a jerk? clementine you said you'll probably shave it in the spring, right, meaning that this beard is only temporary. a lot of guys just get the desire to grow a beard for a while then shave it off. i think your SO is being a (female) jerk.

i don't get it. girls cut their hair' date=' dye their hair, do whatever they want to their bodies because they say "it's my body", but when a guy does something so simple as growing a beard, he's being a jerk? clementine you said you'll probably shave it in the spring, right, meaning that this beard is only temporary. a lot of guys just get the desire to grow a beard for a while then shave it off. i think your SO is being a (female) jerk.[/quote']

And lots of men try to control women through their bodies. Or just sulk when the women do something the man doesn't like - hair length seems to be particularly contentious.

People are allowed preferences, and if CO's preference is to not have beard burn...

"Jerk", I believe is Clementines own word, not his girlfriends.

usually i hate facial hair. but my bf has a goatee and i've grown accostomed to it. lol.

now HATE.. i can use when it comes to him talking about growing his hair long. that is something i HATE haha.

if he grew it to piss me off and show me who's boss.. i wouldn't blame him ahaha. i think i may do the same. ok not really. but i would feel the urge to rebel.

no one wants bossy boots who tells them what they can and can't do/wear/grow.

i do think you should look representable/attractive to her. just cuz you snagged a gf doesn't mean you can let yourself go and not shave for months. how would you like it is she let her "beard" grow wild... (not intended to start a bush or no bush thread)

• 2 weeks later...

That's so funny because I wanted my boyfriend to grow a beard so badly. He readily agreed to grow it and I thought it looked SO nice on him, really framed his face nicely. Well he shaved it off the day before we were having pictures taken, grrrr! I was quite disappointed, he said he didn't feel like himself with it on and found it kind of itchy. Gown is the beard. I do miss it. But I guess we all have our own personal taste. And it does become pr-ick-ily but I think I would sacrifice the being scratched a bit.

You want to make her happy, don't you? If you didn't like something that she decided to change, how would you feel? Imagine she decide to grow her armpit hairs in again and didn't want to change it as she was being stubborn just to piss you off. Lots of girls (not me by the way, lol) like to keep their armpit hairs just like guys like to have a beard. You have to consider her feelings. It would be different if you already had the beard when she met you as you shouldn't have to change for her but you want to make her the happiest girl in the world and if that aint makin her happy then you know what will.

I grew a holiday beard. I love it, it looks awesome and I feel good - virile, manly and hairy. My g/f hates it (I cannot use that word strongly enough). When I told I was going to grow it she got mad and was against it but I grew it anyway under the theory that I own my face.

I am stubborn and will not shave it until Spring I think. The more she complains the more I don't want to shave it. I don't want her to think she can tell me what to do or nag me into doing it.

Am I a jerk?

ps: where is that poll option - I was going to do a poll. It was going to be witty (for you) and informative (for me). Crap.

LOL

I don't think you're a jerk because like you said "you own your face."

My boyfriend and I have this same debate, although I don't hate his beard. I love it for the first week or so, but after two to three weeks I just feel that it looks bad plus it hurts a little when he kisses me. He usually shaves after a month. He likes to grow it out especially in winter since he boards.

I have asked him to shave for special occasions i.e. holiday party, New Years. He usually complies, but outside that time he is steadfast and *will not* shave.

He has even said that the more I ask him to shave it the more defiant he wants to be.

Archived