has anyone ever been bullied?

mikeyboy22

I was just wondering if anybody else on here has ever been bullied? I have a hard time dealing with people on a daily basis and think that all those years of being picked on might have something to do with it. For me it started out in early years of grade school and went on all through highschool until I ended up dropping out so about 11 years of being bullied by different kids. Whenever I tried to stand up for myself I was told that I am too stupid to know what im talking about, weak, ugly, etc... Kids would call me a fag or crack jokes about me for having red hair and I never really did anything to deserve that. Even the teachers would sometimes make jokes about me not being that smart or athletic and I always felt like whenever I tried to accomplish something I would fail. I think the years of abuse changed me as a person and I get really paranoid around people I don't know, especially girls and I get the impression that girls think I am really ugly (ive never had a gf). Since these girls that I went to school with would always rip on me about my hair all the time (I have red hair) I can't even talk to girls now. Maybe if I ever met a girl that likes red hair we could become friends or more I don't know just talking out of my ass. Anyone else that wants to share there story or can relate to me feel free to post, just needed to vent I know we should leave things in the past behind us but I can't erase all the painful memmories sometimes I still dream about it and those thoughts haunt me all the time.

I was made fun of every year from kindergarden through my graduation senior year (3.5 years ago). I never knew what the point was. I didn't do anything to deserve it. It ranged from height to weight (5'10" and ~120lbs - very skinny), the shape of my glasses (really? come on), to my monetary status since I didn't come from a rich family.

It has taken quite a toll on me, mentally. I just discovered this year that I really AM good looking (even after having my ex tell me for 2.5 years and several other girls tell me the same).

It's just something that we need to move past and not let get to us anymore. You need to move past it and accept that people are jerks and its all superficial anyhow.

My situation is similar to Steve's, the only difference is I don't think I'll ever truly believe I'm good looking or valuable...I just go through times where I'm able to deny it/deal with it better.

It is what it is. Society sets the standard and you either live up to it or you're bashed for failing or you become insignificant and ignored.

I'm just glad to be out of the hell hole that was K - 12.

I think a couple of people called me names once or twice. I escalated and they never did it again. I was willing to back up my threats with fearless aggression. lol

Today whenever somebody says something mean to me I just slowly move away from them, literally and figuratively both.

Same, but I guess you need to find a way to cope with it.

It's hard but sometimes people reap dividends from childhood difficulties. eg. Much more preceptive people-wise; don't take things for granted; a good (actually funny) sense of humour; better at reading people; more grounded etc. I find it also gives you a manipulative edge (should you choose to use it to your leverage). Not to mention, nearly all great writers grew up with difficulties eg. William Thackery was bullied in school; Charles * * * * ens etc.

I guess one core attribute one acquire may be the determination to go out there and challenge the status quo (success or failure). And you learn not to put too much faith in other peoples' opinions - a great way to think because it gives you freedom to how you want to percieve your own world.

Good luck.

I was made fun of every year from kindergarden through my graduation senior year (3.5 years ago). I never knew what the point was. I didn't do anything to deserve it. It ranged from height to weight (5'10" and ~120lbs - very skinny), the shape of my glasses (really? come on), to my monetary status since I didn't come from a rich family.

It has taken quite a toll on me, mentally. I just discovered this year that I really AM good looking (even after having my ex tell me for 2.5 years and several other girls tell me the same).

It's just something that we need to move past and not let get to us anymore. You need to move past it and accept that people are jerks and its all superficial anyhow.

It's great that you have come to realize you are attractive.Despite many people telling me I am attractive I have never come to believe it or I never used my looks to my advantage all as a result of the bullying I received when I was younger.

I was called names in school and it hurt then but now i think "why should i care? they aren't near me now!"

Maybe you need counselling or therapy, to try to overcome the thoughts you have. life is not easy, of course. But life is short and we shouldn't spend our lives feeling distraught.

Reading this thread makes me so sad. I wish that people who bully realized the impact it has on the person they're directing their comments and actions towards.

When kids bully, I don't believe they even mean the things they're saying...they'll just say whatever they think will hurt the person....kids can be so cruel. I also think there's usually a ringleader who has very low self esteem, but can come accross as confident and others may follow to avoid being the object of the bullies attentions.

Mikeyboy...I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that and that it's still having an effect on you. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to let the worthless people who did that have any further influence on your life....they just aren't worth another moment of your thoughts. By the way, I think red hair is absolutely beautiful and I can tell from your post that you're a really good person.

Archived