Have I been having seizures all along?

Striker17
Persistent aura without infarction ...
Persistent aura without infarction #Short

Last night I had my first seizure, it was a "basic partial seizure" which means that I was fully conscious throughout the whole thing. It lasted all of 15 seconds, and I was completely normal immediately after it ended.

Now, I have an appointment with my GP set up for next week, as it's not immediately life threatening. But I'm wondering something.

Throughout my whole life, maybe once every couple months, my body will do this thing where it completely locks up, and then I shake violently for half a second, and I'm back to normal again. I always just assumed that it meant nothing, but now that I've had a full blown seizure, I figure that it might be related?

My question is whether anyone else has that happen to them on a regular basis? If so, that means that the seizure really was the first sign of anything happening, otherwise, it could indicate that the problem's been around for a while.

My cousin has epileptic seizures. However, he finally had one big enough that he came to realize that they weren't normal.

He couldn't drive or ride his bike for a while but since going to college he hasn't had one.

Also, he did have a collapsed lung during the first year of college and the doctors are unsure if they are related.

I guess I should also mention that his lifestyle greatly changed after dealing with the seizures. He is in the best shape of his life, is on his college's row team, and gained a good 30 pounds of muscle. So, that probably helped his seizures, being in better health and all.

My cousin has epileptic seizures. However, he finally had one big enough that he came to realize that they weren't normal.

He couldn't drive or ride his bike for a while but since going to college he hasn't had one.

Also, he did have a collapsed lung during the first year of college and the doctors are unsure if they are related.

I guess I should also mention that his lifestyle greatly changed after dealing with the seizures. He is in the best shape of his life, is on his college's row team, and gained a good 30 pounds of muscle. So, that probably helped his seizures, being in better health and all.

That's funny, because I just recently lost 35lbs, while gaining muscle, and I'm in the best shape of my life right now.

I've never had any problems driving, or riding a bike, or skateboarding or anything. Man, this really isn't looking good right now I also think that I may have fractured my toe during the seizure.

That's funny, because I just recently lost 35lbs, while gaining muscle, and I'm in the best shape of my life right now.

I've never had any problems driving, or riding a bike, or skateboarding or anything. Man, this really isn't looking good right now I also think that I may have fractured my toe during the seizure.

I meant that he couldn't drive nor ride a bike because he could seizure during those activities and seriously injure himself. His license was restricted for almost a year.

I'd refrain from driving, if you can. I have seen accidents where the driver has had a seizure and been unable to control his car.

Sounds like seizures. Are you sure they're only half a second?

Your doctor will evaluate you and probably be able to put you on something that will help control the seizures. You may have to try a few different types of medicine before you find one that works for you.

They can also be triggered by different things. A very good friend of mine is epileptic and most of his seizures are triggered by seeing or even thinking about blood, or being around too much electrical devices for too long.

He does not have a driver's license and probably never will have one. I think it's illegal to get one if you are diagnosed epileptic, for good reason. You can kill others or yourself if you have a seizure while driving.

It also might not be epilepsy at all, so just relax for now. Let us know what the doctor says

About a year ago, my brother was diagnosed with a seizure disorder, I don't think it was epilepsy, but it may have been. He is on meds and no longer has any seizures whatsoever. But he had his driver's license permanently revoked and he is no longer allowed to ride his bike. When you are diagnosed with something like epilepsy, I understand they can do this for you safety and the safety of others.

Yeah, I'm sure they're only half a second. I remain fully conscious throughout the whole thing.

I haven't noticed any common trigger amongst them, and after thinking about it, I wouldn't say that it happens more than three times a year. I just assumed they were some sort of twitching, nothing more. And they very well could be, as they don't feel anything like the seizure I had.

And yeah, I realize that nothing's going to happen to me soon, so I'm not caring too much about it until I see my Dr.

Petit mal (little) seizures may be what you were having earlier, and a grand mal (large) seizure may be what you had recently. It could have any number of causes, from drug interactions, to fevers, to brain tumors, or some other medical conditions like diabetes can trigger them. And sometimes they don't know what causes them.

So the only way to know for sure what is wrong is to go to the doctor. They'll run a series of tests to try to determine the origin, and either treat the origin or give you medication for seizures if there is no underlying disease causing the problem.

I don't think they necessarily revoke drivers licenses for life. Sometimes you have to prove you're on medication and have been seizure free for a year (or other period) and they'll give the license back. It also depends on the severity of the seizures etc. But definitely don't drive until you've gotten diagnosed and treated and gotten the go ahead from a doctor.

Archived