I need ideas for spending time with my 2 year old son

tom_duley

My wife and I are getting divorced and I have to learn a new style of parenting. I always used to play with him at and around the house, but now I have a hard time staying home. I would take him to the park but it has been so cold and windy lately. What other healthy activities could we do?

is there a near by museum... a childrens museum? or perhaps an indoor play place... we happen to have one of those so I am lucky!

is there a McD's with a playplace?

is there a local church near by with play date types of things with parents with young kids?

sometimes the mall is a great place to get out and get some exercise but this time of year I wouldn't want to take my two year old to such a crazy place... but at other times it works well.

What about a friends house? or your parents house... get out of your house and visit with grandparents (if you can stand your parents) might be the way to go...

Also look for activities - our zoo hosts parent child classes indoors at the zoo... it's educational and focoused on the age group at hand. They bring in animals for the kids to get a close look. My son loved this!

Also there are programs out there - for a fee... kindermusik, little gym, gymboree... etc.

Look at craft stores for parent child art classes.

Good Luck!

A few suggestions:

Children's Museum - do you have one closeby?

Local Library - Often has specific times/activities for 2 year old and parent.

Local Gym - Sometimes has activities for 2 year old and parent.

Local Mall - Just take him and browse or walk around in the common area's. This one obviously isn't the best but - if you have no other options, this will work and he'll enjoy the time with Daddy none the less.

Out to dinner.

Out for ice cream.

((How is it that it takes me so long to post.... sorry Girls! Didn't see your posts before I posted!))

My town only has 6000 people in it, we are 65 miles from a town with a wal-mart and it closes at 9pm. My parents live 400 miles away. I do have some friends here that we have visited. Also we do have a museum, and a public library. I will check them for activities. Thank you for all the helpful advice!

I think it's great that you are looking for ideas. Wish that my "X" would have been so creative.

* Coloring - get some fat crayons and butcher block paper. Butcher block paper is cheap... and it makes a great canvas for your little guy to

scribble on.

* Finger paints - again with that butcher block paper.... kids love getting their hands all mooshy with colors and see what they can do.

*Tempra - Tempra paint can be found at just about any craft store. It's safe for kids.. so you don't have to worry. Roll out that butcher block paper on the kitchen floor. Then let him go to town. Help him even. Have him use it like finger paint if he wants. Have him walk accross the paper in his feet and leave foot prints.

NOW... here's the best part. When he's done... you take your son and give him a bath. Then you take that butcher block paper thats had a bit of time to dry... and hang it on your kitchen wall. To dry all the way through. and then... you use it for "CHRISTMAS WRAPPING" for Grandma and Grandpa's gifts.

Next idea... build forts in the house. Get a bunch of blankets... and

build forts around your living room... kitchen table.... whatever. get the flash light out and play space man or something.

Boxes. Kids love boxes. don't ask me why... they'll play more with boxes than the toys that were inside. If you can find big big boxes... the both of you can use them for crafty stuff. LIKE... building a garage for his match box cars, or dump truck. Heck.. you can arrange them like a whole city in your living room. And the best part... CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. .. and offfers hours of fun.

there are tonz of books at your local library on games to play with children. Crafts to do with children. Google it on Amazon... a book dealer... and then go to your library directory on net to see if Library has it. Try googling... "FAMILY FUN"... and I"m sure you'll find tonz of ideas.

There's also a recipe for playdough you can make for cheap at home.

I can't remember the exact recipe... its flour, salt and water. The dough is non toxic....so it's great for a 2 year old. You can roll out the dough... and cut out xmas shapes..add a small hole so you can attach a string later... the dough gets dried in the oven overnight... and you use tempra paint to paint it... attach your string and VOILA.. he's made a christmas ornament. AND.. they make great gifts for grandma and grandpa or who ever.

Community Centers and churches in your area may be offering "PANCAKE" breakfasts with Santa this time of year. (fairly inexpensive). Call your community center or city hall and see if they have any children's programs.

Have you gotten yourself into a divorce recovery program? Look to see

if there is one available where you live. Local churches. Great place to find inner healing.. but you'll also run into single divorced parents like yourself who are looking for things to do, you might be able to pair up

and do play dates.

When I was Newly Divorced and looking for cost efficient things to do with my girls.. (ages 5 and 2)...we did ALL of the above mentioned.

WE also did "HAWAIAN" Luai day. I was fortunate and still had a "Y"

memebership. The girls and I went swimming... on the way there

we played HAWAIAN music, LILO AND STICH.. Elivs that sort of thing.

We danced in the living room and ate pine apples. Went swimming to the

pool, had tonz of fun.

Kids love music.. you can get some great CD's for kids at the library.

The key is your involvement and having fun with you. Be silly with him,

dance, sing.... and ya know what? it's a great stress reliever for you too,

and you get to RE-LEARN how much fun it was to be a kid again.

You get to re-learn the world.

I don't think we have a divorce recovery program in this town. I wish we did. I think I will start shopping churches though, we have lots of them.

Many churches offer divorce recovery programs. Dont' know how churchy you are or religious....the programs that were available to me through the churches, they tried proselytizing pretty hot and heavy... I'm just resolute in my belief system. And that was ok with them.

Great ideas but I think he was looking more for something to do outside of the house?

but why go out when home is so much cozier, relaxed, and safe? The little guy needs to get used to his dad's home. Seems like spring and summer are better times to get out there -- he's right, it is getting colder now. Best to be off the streets when the black ice forms. Gosh, I love little kids. They grow up so fast. When they are little, they are so easy to please. *sigh*

but why go out when home is so much cozier, relaxed, and safe? The little guy needs to get used to his dad's home. Seems like spring and summer are better times to get out there -- he's right, it is getting colder now. Best to be off the streets when the black ice forms. Gosh, I love little kids. They grow up so fast. When they are little, they are so easy to please. *sigh*

Because he mentioned that him and his wife were seperating so it was tough to stay at home????? Read the original post it's right there. If there is tension in the air, it's better to be outside of the home.

Because he mentioned that him and his wife were seperating so it was tough to stay at home????? Read the original post it's right there. If there is tension in the air, it's better to be outside of the home.

Dear MS: I DID read the original post, please excuse me, but for some reason I thought he might also have his own apartment. Sometimes you get a bit aggressive, no need to be rude.

I do have my own place now. He and I stayed there for the first time last night. I guess I was trying to think of things to do away from there because it does not feel like home. I will have to spend a little time while he is with his mom trying to make it a little more comfortable for us, then I will not mind it so much. The suggestions for staying at home have been great too. I now have a roll of butcher paper and some fat crayons and I look forward to using them. I have also looked at the schedules for the local churches. Thanks for all the suggestions, they really have helped.

It will feel more like home when you and your little one get in there and start playing.

Can you set up a play area where just the two of you "escape" to and just spend quality time together? Maybe play with his favorite toys, or read books together, watch movies things like that.

I also just want to add, I think it is great that you are looking for ways to spend time with your son. You sound like a really great father, he's lucky to have you

Do you have an indoor pool in your town?

I can only imagine how difficult it is to think of things to do. I live in a city and quickly run out of ideas.

You could also try to make your new place feel more like home by letting him help you decorate (esp. for Christmas - get a tree, presents, etc.) and by bringing some of his favorite things over (toys, wall hangings, blankets, lamps... anything that will help him understand that this is his new home too).

Archived