Calling her back - What should I say??

relm

I met this girl and we went out for lunch and seemed to hit it off well. She left me a voice message asking to call back but I am nervous. Any advice? I know I have to call her back soon (no later than tomorrow) otherwise I will blow it. I told her I was interested in her and she seemed receptive. My problem is just I'm so introverted that I don't have any idea what to talk about without a script of some sort. Its just not natural for me so I would appreciate some steps from people before I call her. How can I not be so shy and how what do we talk about? I can ask her about her day, her week, but a minute into the conversation then what??

Just call, let her know you enjoyed lunch, think she's special, want to do it again. Then set up the next date. Let her know your not good on the phone but really looking forward to seeing her again in person.

You need to call her back today if possible, if she left you a message and she likes you too, then shes been waiting all day for your call.

ooh, congratulations! now you definitely know that she is interested.

you don't have to say anything special, just be yourself. call her and say "heyy, sorry i missed your message i was a little busy with __fill in the blank__. how've you been? i had fun the other night. i hope we can do it again soon."

Thanks. I called back and we will go out again in a few days. Nothing too stressful, just movie and dinner. But I have to say, I think we are both shy people so the conversation is full of stressful pauses and me thinking "quickly say something..." so I jumped topics alot. In all, 5 minute phone call felt like 30 minutes and she probably said 15 words. Lots of long pauses and my mumbling something incoherent. I took Looking_up's advice and asked her out again which was pretty lame. One of those "let’s do something Saturday, maybe a movie, but I don't know where or when so let's coordinate later this week to finalize the details." Ugh!

Don't stress it. Tons of guys put too much thought into this, and it ends up just making things worse. When talking on the phone with girls, or in person, just relax! It's not like you're taking a painful crap, or performing open heart surgery. Be calm, and just be yourself.

You just have to gain some confidence, my friend. Confidence is key, remember that.

During that second call, I might have caught her at a bad time because the next time I called her I had a long list of topics and it was pretty easy to keep things going. I do think for those who are especially shy, it really really helps to have the list of topics written down before calling. I also think it helps to keep the topics somewhat related so you don't come accross like a crazed person who can't stick to the topic. For example:

Topic 1 - how is your day going?

Topic 2 - How my day is going...

Topic 3 - Somethign funny from yesterday

I know this sounds obvious, but I choked up on it a few nights ago and went from how is your day to something I say last week to our lunch to my day to something that had nothing to do with anything each time the conversation stalled and I quickly realized this wasn't going to win the award for smooth and flowing conversation. I think this helps at the early stages when you are super nervous and don't really know what to say. Obviously, I don't have this problem with friends I've known for years. I've tried thinking of her as a friend I've known for years, but it just didn't seem to help me not be nervous nor know what to say without thinking too much about it...

Don't write topics down! You need to quit putting so much thought into this, and just let topics in the conversation come naturally. When you're on the phone with a girl, you need to be completely focused on the conversation at hand. So make sure you've got the TV turned off, make sure you're not on the computer ... just make sure you don't have anything to distract you.

You definitely need to figure out how to make an interesting conversation, and then you need to learn how to make the conversation flow for however long you want it to.

Asking Someone to Call You in Engli...
Asking Someone to Call You in English || ESL Conversation Practice || ESL Advice

Archived