Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Plane tickets

george237

So I am going to Miami this new years. I have a free place to stay and some spending money saved up for the trip, only problem is as of now I don't have a plane ticket. I had to wait for a buddy that I am going with to get off of work, as of now the tickets are $600 and up. I was planning on paying about $300 which is what the prices were about 2 months ago.

My question is do the prices go down as you get closer to the departure date? I really don't feel like driving 18 hours.

Prices will not go down as you get closer to departure. In fact they will go even higher. Especially around the holidays. Your best fares come when you buy at least 2-3 weeks in advance.

You might try something like Priceline which lets you bid on plane tickets and try to get a cheaper rate that way.

I second the priceline avenue, especially if you do it within a week or so of the flight.

You can get an idea of how booked flights are by going through the process to book then checking the available seats. Not many seats, low chance you'll get a great price. Lots of seats, better chance you'll get a good price.

link removed is the best regular (non-special-discount) website for looking at airfare, it's very versatile and searches all the other travel sites (Orbitz, cheaptickets, swa, Expedia, etc) it's done by some type of travel organization and does not profit anyone.

Oh yeah they definitely get higher as you get closer to the date, have you tried priceline as avman suggested? You bid on a price, but they wont tell you what time you leave so usually they give you a time like overnight or something. Even a few lay overs but its cheaper and sometimes worth it.

I always use orbitz or travelocity, usually has good deals.

umm... no, they won't go down. But look at all the websites that sell tickets... cheaptickets, orbits, hotwire, expedia, travelocity, priceline.. I'm sure there is more. One website will let you see the day but not the time before you purchase the ticket. It is for people with a more flexible schedule, which results in you getting a better deal. Check all of the websites & check the prices of leaving & arriving at different airports. Sometimes flying into Fort Lauderdale is cheaper than Miami International. Check with the different airports to depart from in the area you live.

Also, how flexible are your departing & returning dates? I think Mondays & Fridays are more expensive than other days. Flying on actual holidays is cheaper, too. If you fly on Christmas Day or New Years Day it will be cheaper than other days.

It takes some time to play with the websites, airports, days & times. But I bet you could find a decent deal if you keep looking.

Prices will not go down as you get closer to departure. In fact they will go even higher. Especially around the holidays. Your best fares come when you buy at least 2-3 weeks in advance.

You might try something like Priceline which lets you bid on plane tickets and try to get a cheaper rate that way.

Yeah I looked into that but it doesn't let you choose the time. I have ticks to the birds/cowboys game and I can't miss it.

Yeah I looked into that but it doesn't let you choose the time. I have ticks to the birds/cowboys game and I can't miss it.

Oh yeah then you cant use priceline, they dont tell you the time until your bid is accepted, paid for & then you have to go lol

Other options include Southwest Airlines and JetBlue. You have to go to their websites directly because they generally don't show up on the big sites like Orbitz, Expedia, etc. But sometimes you can get a reasonable price from them even on short notice.

This is not always true...the general rule is that it does get higher as it gets closer, but air prices do fluctuate. Today it might be $600 and then 2 days from now it can go down drastically.

I was just about to book a trip to go home on a day and a half notice, and the prices were great!

i'm not sure if you are a member of travelocity, but they have a feature called farewatcher alert that will alert you when prices go down.

My best friend never buys tickets early...she always buys them last minute because she can oftentimes find tickets at a reasonable price.

However, remember that you are buying around peak holiday time for a major port city, so you might not be that lucky.

Start looking at other options, such as seeing if there is another airport nearby you can fly into or even another airport you can fly out from for a cheaper price.

Too bad you're going to Miami....Jetblue has some great fares going into Florida right now, but none for Miami.

Priceline is another good option as well if you don't have a preference for the time you depart and arrive. My friend has used priceline for airport and hotel and it's turned out well for her

Philadelphia or surronding. Dec 28th Jan 3rd.

Could you leave Tuesday on the 30th and return Jan 6th?

They have much cheaper prices for that timeframe....i found $406 flying into Miami

and cheaper than that flying into Fort Lauderdale

Also, if you can fly out of new york, they have the timeframe you desire and for $331

Could you leave Tuesday on the 30th and return Jan 6th?

They have much cheaper prices for that timeframe....

Yeah I know but I have a free timeshare from 27th till the 3rd and I also want to got to the birds game on the 28th. I could go on Monday as a last resort but I wanted to be down there as long as possible since my next vacation isn't until June.

Tuesday, Wed, Thursday are lower priced. I tried but Jackson ville is pretty far from miami.

$313+ $55 taxes & fees = $368 per person

Act Fast! Only 2 tickets left at this price! Details

Leave

Sat, Dec 27 US Airways 3575

operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-AIR WISCONSIN

Depart: 10:55pm

Arrive: 12:13am Philadelphia, PA (PHL)

Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)

2 stops in RDU , ATL

1hr 18min | Canadair

Change Airline. Time between flights: 5hr 17min

Delta Air Lines 1699

Depart: 5:30am

Arrive: 6:55am Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)

Atlanta, GA (ATL)

1hr 25min | Boeing 737

Change planes. Time between flights: 0hr 37min

Delta Air Lines 1667

Depart: 7:32am

Arrive: 8:38am Atlanta, GA (ATL)

Jacksonville, FL (JAX)

1hr 6min | Boeing 757

Total duration: 9hr 43min

This is an overnight flight.

Return

Sat, Jan 3 United Airlines 2716

operated by US Airways -- US 1507

Depart: 7:00am

Arrive: 8:18am Jacksonville, FL (JAX)

Charlotte, NC (CLT)

1 stop in CLT

1hr 18min | Airbus A321

Change planes. Time between flights: 1hr 7min

United Airlines 1812

operated by US Airways -- US 1846

Depart: 9:25am

Arrive: 11:02am Charlotte, NC (CLT)

Philadelphia, PA (PHL)

1hr 37min | Embraer 190

Total duration: 4hr 2min

omg that flight makes me cringe.... and Jacksonville is really far, like 344 miles far, 5 hours.

Okay, so for more constructive advice. If you can spare time you could take greyhound for $218 7-day advance purchase, it takes 1 day and 7 hours.

Wow I would rather drive, but thanks though. Google says 18 hours from my house. If me and my buddy pull shifts we can pull it off. It will just be a miserable drive home.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived