Running pains

stranded247
Quick warm up for runners with calf...
Quick warm up for runners with calf tightness!

I took up running about three weeks ago and I've been running for an hour each time 4-5 times a week. When I first started I got this feeling of tension in my lower calves, it wasn't painful but it felt like they were burning and the faster I ran the more they tensed until I would limp. So I bought a decent pair of running shoes and wore some thick socks and it stopped happening but for the past three times I've been running this week I've had the same problem. I know it cant be that I'm using muscles I've never used before because I use this muscle all the time, also I'm a competitive fencer so I dont think it could be to do with being out of shape or something. Its not too bad but it makes running a lot less enjoyable and slows me down, I still have a lot of stamina left but when my calves tense like that I just cant bring myself to run as much as I usually would. I also get this feeling but not as badly when I walk really fast or if I continually lunge in fencing. Its almost like a reflex, I cant help but automatically tense my calves so that the muscle protrudes and then it begins to cause discomfort. Anyone had this problem before? or have any idea whats causing it?

I don't know if you have been running before, but if this is the 'start' of your running career so to say, you started WAY too intense and way to fast. That is a recipe for injuries! Your muscles and tendons are not used to this. I recommend you go to link removed or link removed to fill in your information, and set up a distance. Running greater distances and training for that in a proper way requires some patience, otherwise it is very counterproductive (i.e. injuries will make you be forced to stop training all together if you're not careful).

I run 4/5 times a week in varying trainings (interval/slower duration, ...) but built this up over a year of time. I have to restrain myself too, it's a bit addictive to run...

I had an upcoming injury on the achilles tendon, and was forced to slow down from 4/5 times to 2 times and run very slowly and shorter distances (about 6 kms instead of 15-20 km). I recovered by doing long warm up / cool down, exercises to focus on my tendon and calves (google for it, I am Dutch and don't know the exact names for the exercise type in English). And ICING after training helps- but doesn't cure.

Good luck and slooooow down. You will thank yourself later on and notice that you will be able to perform really well on long distances because you took the time to build up and recover from the injury.

Hey Stranded,

^^is very good advice.

Your technique may also be causing the problems. Running correctly is the key to pain free enjoyment, short and long term. Your stride and how your feet contact the ground will have different impacts on your body. Fencing may have also caused some muscle memory so they react like you are fencing instead of running. Educate yourself like arwen says and I bet you will find you can find better ways of running with no pain at all.

PS I hope everything else in your life is going well.

lost

Oh, yes, I forgot you mentioned fencing. My ex was a top-level fencer (saber) and if there's anything I remember him telling about it, it was about how the 'explosive' side of it affected his muscle-build and which kind of injuries that triggered. I remember he often had to do physical therapy to prevent specific injuries in the foot. I think explosive sports and duration sports really train your body in very different (almost opposite) ways. So in addition to myasics (which IS great, isn't it? I trained for the 10 miles (16km) using the schema, and now I am working on the half marathon ), go see a personal trainer for advise.

Are you very committed to fencing? Are you sure you're not over training? I am asking because I have a tendency to over train- it's very easy when you're young, energetic and have a lot of steam to blow off. But it's something you should really be careful with.

Are you very committed to fencing? Are you sure you're not over training? I am asking because I have a tendency to over train- it's very easy when you're young, energetic and have a lot of steam to blow off. But it's something you should really be careful with.

I'm quite commited to fencing but not overly as I have a lot of other commitments. I only train about 3 hours a week, I'll have more training if I'm preparing for a tournament though. But I havn't had any tournaments recently. Also I am pretty much a begginer to running, except when I was 15 I ran everyday for about half an hour for about two months and then I gave it up because my legs began to hurt and I discovered swimming was more enjoyable.

I'll definitely check out link removed, thats the brand of my running shoes actually-they're awesome.

Myasics only sucks because I don't know anything about km, or kgs. LOL. Plus they use some British phrases. HA! Maybe we should jump on board with the metric system?

I didn't know it would do metric measurements on the US site. I am on the Dutch version (and for me, miles, feet and whatnot meant nothing before I moved here). It's not that hard. Find a converter online? Lbs can be rougly divided by 2 to get kgs, but not exactly.

I'm quite commited to fencing but not overly as I have a lot of other commitments. I only train about 3 hours a week, I'll have more training if I'm preparing for a tournament though. But I havn't had any tournaments recently. Also I am pretty much a begginer to running, except when I was 15 I ran everyday for about half an hour for about two months and then I gave it up because my legs began to hurt and I discovered swimming was more enjoyable.

I'll definitely check out link removed, thats the brand of my running shoes actually-they're awesome.

My guess is that also back then you were training too hard in the beginning. It's great that you have the stamina to do so, but your muscles need training (and probably some lengthening after having done explosive sports for longer times), and that takes time. Stretch before and after you run, and jog a very slow round of 400 m before you speed up to your normal training pace. Have a 3 mile (5 km) as your first goal, you should be able to run that in about half an hour at a moderate pace.

Myasics only sucks because I don't know anything about km, or kgs. LOL. Plus they use some British phrases. HA! Maybe we should jump on board with the metric system?

no way, cause then the # key on the phone would be called a kg key. lol

use a converter online.

Archived