down on myself (feel pathetic)

mikeyboy22

I am feeling really down on myself lately about things. I just wish I had people who I can talk to, maybe a friend that would want to hang out or go do something that doesen't always involve getting drunk but thats not the case at all. When I do hang out with them it makes me feel even worse because after we are finished the bottle they don't want to hang out anymore and just ditch me, go to somebody elses house or whatever. I have social anxiety and I feel like whenever I tell somebody something they are going to judge me, its made it harder to make real friends and I just spend most of my time by myself. I want to be like other people and have friends who go places and do things but I don't have anyone. No girls want the time of day with me for a relationship or just friends I am really lonely and almost feel disgusted with myself for being like this... Almost feels like I can't achieve anything or meet anybody anymore. I was supposed to slow down on drinking but ive reached an alltime low and I think im gonna go get drunk right now, by myself...

oh man, i know how youre feeling. lately ive been pretty down on myself as most of my former friends have vanished and i have no friendships in my current city that have any sort of substance to them, to the point where i could talk to someone if i needed.

only thing you can do right now is keep on trying, i spose. maybe call up some old friends you havent talked to ina while and see how that goes? ask people if they wanna go bowling or some other recreational activity that doesnt lend itself to intense drinking. that should start building more friendships and stuff and you'd be surprised at the people you will find to help you out from time to time - they are often very unlikely.

good luck!

Do you have any hobbies or anything you've wanted to learn how to do? You could find organizations in your area based on those and it would help you meet people where the activity isn't drinking and you automatically have something in common. Also, I know a lot of people on here recommend link removed to find social groups in your area.

It's sometimes hard when you've moved past the drinking phase and you're friends haven't. But that just means it's time to expand your social base, that's all. And the more you get out there and join activities, the easier it'll be.

Do you have any hobbies or anything you've wanted to learn how to do? You could find organizations in your area based on those and it would help you meet people where the activity isn't drinking and you automatically have something in common. Also, I know a lot of people on here recommend link removed to find social groups in your area.

It's sometimes hard when you've moved past the drinking phase and you're friends haven't. But that just means it's time to expand your social base, that's all. And the more you get out there and join activities, the easier it'll be.

You must be from Buffalo!

I've been here for awhile. I went to undergrad here and then left for grad school, and came right back when I graduated haha. I've been back for a little over a year and a half. The snow is what I hate about it here. I'm supposed to go out tonight and drive to Rochester tomorrow...that snow gets in the way!

Thanks for the welcome

Sorry for taking over mikey! But see you just need one thing in common and you've got a new friend lol.

It sounds like you're growing up a bit while some of your friends are still in the getting high all the time phase. This is a good thing, but it will be a transition for you. First, forget about getting drunk by yourself, that doesn't help anything and will only leave you feeling more down.

Find something constructive to do, whatever you enjoy. Do you like working out or music? Maybe take up an instrument or something. Get out into the world and meet some different types of people, you can volunteer or join some clubs or organizations that are geared to your interests.

As people grow and leave behind old habits and states of mind, they often find that the people they once were attracted to (friends, romantic relationships, etc.) no longer fit. It sounds to me like this is happening with you and your old friends. You're moving forward while they are staying put and this can be a wonderful thing because as you keep progressing you WILL find people who suit the new you.

I know it can be hard but keep faith in yourself and know that you're moving into a better space. I agree with Greensleeves' idea of finding clubs or groups that do things you're interested in. Don't go there so much for the sake of meeting people (that will happen automatically) but go because you enjoy the activity.

Best of luck and take care.

Archived