I think I might actually being having a mental breakdown... Sorry, a little long.

thebunny21
Lost the Love Of Your Love? Watch T...
Lost the Love Of Your Love? Watch This!

So, Wednesday, I found out that after almost 2 years of service at my job, I can't do my job. So I have a month to find a new job. Since then they are making it extremely obvious I really am no longer needed and actually removed any work that was previously my responsibility. So I have been just sitting at work with nothing to do. At all.

On top of losing my job, I have been broke. I mean literally broke, where I'm negative almost a hundred dollars in the bank and just change to my name. And this has been the last few weeks. So, financial and losing my job are just enough factors to make me lose my mind.

When I told my boyfriend, he took it great. He was really supportive and really made me realize how great he was. He told me I needed to go talk to my boss and ask them some questions about why I was being fired. I haven't talked to my boss yet because I know I'm going to cry and I hate crying in front of people.

Today I had a job interview about 30 minutes from my current job at 12:00. Not knowing how long it will take, I told my job I wasn't going to be back for the day. I told my boyfriend yesterday that I'm taking the day. He made nothing of it yesterday. Now, today, I was all done with everything about 12:45 and I had just left. So I wasn't getting back there until 1:15, without any traffic. With there being no work to do at work, I wasn't going back.

He sends me a text telling me that I'm not being responsible about work and I'm not doing anything to make them not let me go. I told him they 100% made their mind up about the situation. Just by the way they are avoiding me and treating me overall. We stopped the discussion because I was going to lunch with my mom.

I get back on the phone with him asking him if we were meeting up. He tells me he's going back to sleep for two hours. He was up for an hour, then is going back to sleep????? I texted him and asked him if he was really going back to sleep or did he just not want to see me. He said he was going to try to go back to sleep. I told him it wasn't fair that he was mad at me for my decisions. He said he wasn't mad but just upset about the whole thing. I wrote back to him telling him I can't do enough for everyone that try to make happy. and told him to call me. All he wrote back was he'll call.

Anyways, to sum it up, no job, BAD job market, being let go right around the holidays because I'm a failure, and because of all this, I'm losing my boyfriend too. Not to mention, my job won't even just lay me off to just collect unemployment and not endure the embarrassment of going into a job that they are completely relieving me of.

I think you need to go to your 'happy place.'

First, I'm sorry about your job situation. You're right, it is a horrible job market, but your bf made a good point. If nothing else, understanding the reasons they are letting you go will be helpful for you in the future. A lot of companies do it, just think of it as an 'exit' interview.

Second, I'm confused. Your boss told you that you have a month to find another job but you’re not being laid off?

Finally, I'm not sure why you think you and your boyfriend are ending. I see no such thing based on what you've written. I think he's just annoyed that he spent time listening to you and advising you on what to do and your simply dismissing it.

Just relax and take a deep breath. Things will be OK. I hope the interview went well.

They aren't calling it being laid off. They are technically firing me but because I'm in a management position, they are giving me a month to find a new job.

He has gotten so frustrated about the situation, I feel like he's going to see me as a failure. And I not somebody that can just go ask people to tell me what I can't do and just keep telling me how much I screwed up on stuff. I'm trying to work up my courage to speak to them, I'm not just going to leave without getting a reasonable answer to why I'm being let go. They haven't given me one. That's what I'm trying to explain to him.

Has your employer given you anything in writing? I think that you need to speak to your HR department and have them provide you with clear reasons as to why they're letting you go. Typically when people are fired, they aren't kept on the premises for a month...this sounds more like a layoff or constructive dismissal to me.

If you don't get action for your HR Department,contact the Minsitry of Labour, or whatever government agency is responsible for these matters in your area and tell them what's happening. They should be able to advise you as to what your rights are as far as the terminology of your job ending and the possibility of collecting unemployment.

As for your boyfriend, it doesn't sound like the relationship is ending. However, if he does back off from you because you've lost your job, he isn't worth your time anyway.

Thabk you greensleeves. My boyfriend isn't backing off cuz I lost my job. He's just stressed cuz of the economy. My job has been treating me awful since they gave me the notice so I can't tell if it's a layoff or I've just screwed up so much and because I'm a manager they gave me a month.

What are you a manager of? What industry do you work in? This will help us better undestand the situation...

Have you done anything you can think of as to why they would get rid of you - performance related?

You definetly need to find out why they are getting rid: it could be cost cutting due to the economy.

These are scary times for a lot of people. Your boyfriend sounds great and supportive. i think your anxiety over your lack of a job, future, debts etc is going to mae you unsettled as a whole...and thereofre place doubts over your boyfriend too...try not to let it... as this could result in the relationship ending...

Archived