Is weight a deal breaker when dating someone?

boozy12
5 Red Flags In Relationships
5 Red Flags In Relationships

Honestly, I think it depends on both people. Like, someone who's very superficial probably isn't going to one day say, "Well, s/he's got a great personality, so I'll overlook the weight thing."

But for someone who might not necessarily be attracted to an overweight person, a great personality might tip the scales in the latter person's favor (no pun intended). What I mean is that a chubby/overweight guy or girl who has a great personality would have a better chance of winning the affection/interest/etc. of someone who's somewhat neutral about their partner's weight.

Personally, it depends on the person for me. I know it sounds like a cliche, but I've known some absolutely gorgeous guys that I just wanted to punch in the face, lol. And then, I've known overweight guys who I could honestly see myself dating because they're just all around nice people.

Sorry to be wishy-washy, but that's the best I could do.

It depends on the person's overall health and lifestyle, what he is doing about the weight problem and also whether I feel attraction for that person. I was very attracted to an obese man but regularly concerned about his health. Sometimes, overweight has been a turn off to me and to me there is nothing wrong with needing to be physically attracted to someone you date who could be a potential partner.

If I was in a relationship with someone who then put on a lot of weight my guess is it would be more of a health concern than an attraction issue, but if the weight gain was due to psychological issues that could have an affect on the relationship and my attraction. Again it would depend on what he chose to do about it.

I have always been slim and fit, and into working out/being active and that is important to me in a partner.

Overweight female friends of mine have had more trouble dating than those who are not.

Guys/Gals - would you date someone that was over weight? (round about 40 pounds). Is being overweight a deal breaker?

For me, yes. I won't give you crap that I am concerned with their health or anything because every person can do whatever they want with their life and body but visually speaking - I am not attracted to overweight girls (not to say something worse).

P.

Depends.

Is he overweight as a result of sitting on the couch, eating poorly and not taking care of himself? Then yes, major turn off.

My boyfriend has always carried a little extra, but he's also 6'5" so it's not a huge notice on him because he is generally pretty solid. But the bugger is active as can be, at the gym, plays sports, we have a very active relationship, and we're outgoing. So is it unattractive? No. Not at all for me.

I would say it mostly depends on if i was attracted to them. Looks are not that big of a deal to me however i have to say that if im not attracted i do not see how it would ever work out. Even if they were the best person i have ever met, but i was not attracted how could i want to have sex with them, how could i consider them more than a really great friend?

The last girl i talked to might of had a few pounds on her, i heard someone mention she was a little chubby, but honestly i did not notice or care because she was still very pretty.

I also agree with Asti, if they are not even trying to take care of themselves and as a result it could get worse, yes a deal breaker. If their trying but just cant shed much off what else could i ask for?

I agree with those who said it's more about lifestyle. I like to hike and run and other outdoor activities, so if a guy who was forty pounds overweight was keeping up with me, I likely would not care too much about the extra pounds. I also like to cook/eat really good food, so if he was just interested in takeout and junk, that would be a problem, too.

Some people have reasonably healthy lifestyles and just bad genetics.

Wow, guessing from the answers in this thread, many people must be in super model shape! LOL.

I think personality is key. My ex had a little bit of a belly and I didn't care. Better cushioning, I suppose. I keep myself in pretty decent shape, but a few extra pounds won't chase me away if we click.

But to each their own.

I guess it wouldn't be an issue for me if I was overweight too. But since I'm not, then yes I think I'd be less attracted to someone who's overweight. I don't mind them having some extra meat on their bones, but 40 lbs overweight might be too much for me personally.

Wow, guessing from the answers in this thread, many people must be in super model shape! LOL.

The question wasn't whether someone required supermodel looks in a partner, but whether someone would date someone 40 pounds overweight. The reason I bring it up is that I see many people perpetuating their unhealthy lifestyle by rationalizing that since they will never look like a supermodel, that they should just give up.

To answer the question, totally depends on the size of woman, 5'7" or taller with more athletic frame? 40lbs overweight is not a deal killer. 5'4 or shorter, no thanks unless she has a really good hip/waist ratio.

Archived