Don't know what to do anymore

jennygirl27

My boyfriend lost his job a few months ago. Since then, he has become more and more depressed, Our relationship is still very strong but he is very hard on himself and it's come to a point where all he does is sleep. He has applied for other jobs and there have been no calls. I don't know what to say to him anymore. I feel out of control because i can't do anything. I love him more than he could ever know and it kills me to see him like this. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Talk with him, ask him how he's feeling. Let him know you'd like to help and you believe in his abilities. It's okay to say you think he might be depressed. Ask him if he's just in a short slump or if maybe he needs help. Offer to go on walks or whatever activity he enjoys. Accept that life has it's ups and downs.

Be his biggest fan. That's all you can do. I'm really sorry to hear that--seems that these days a lot of people are in your bf's shoes. It's just such a hard time to hold down a job with layoffs happening all over the place. Just be there for him and support him. I know this advice is nothing new and it's a frustrating position that you're in, but like with anything else where your partner is hurting or having difficulty due to something outside of your control, all you can do is just be there.

Archived