Unemployment

A few days ago, I overheard a conversation and it made me wonder how unemployment works. I know if you get laid off, you are entitled to get unemployment benefits for a certain amt of time. Also, during this time period, you are supposed to be looking for a job. If you do find a job during your time while collecting unemployment, but the job pays LESS than what you make collecting UI, are you supposed to take the job? This guy was telling his friend that he finally found a job, but it paid LESS than his unemployment, and that he probably wouldn't take the job because it wasn't worth it and would have him working over the holidays. His friend agreed with him.

If you were in that guy's shoes, would you take a job that made LESS than your UI, or would you hold out until the right job came down the pike? I know UI only lasts for a certain amt of time.

UI isn't going to last forever and what happens if he finds himself without a job prospect when that runs out? He is going to basically be broke anyway. I would take the job and keep looking for something else in the meantime that pays more. When the economy is this bad, he really shouldn't be complaining that he would have to work over the holidays. Phhhft, he should be glad he was even able to find a job. I know many people that would kill to be in his shoes right now.

I know many people that would kill to be in his shoes right now.

Yes... me for one.

The housing market has turned in the last year. My house is now worth 25% less than it was a year ago. Why would someone want to buy it, when there are other houses down the road that may cost less.. or, there are a plethora of houses in foreclosure to be had for pennies on the dollar?

Work is the same. There are too many mice out their scurrying around desperatelyto find a piece of cheese. Employers can afford to be picky about who they hire. They can also offer jobs paying far less money than they might have paid for in the past. Just slap a different job title to it.. and there you go.

In better ecconomic times, and if you have an emergency fund... you can afford to be a little bit pickier about what job you take. These days? You're lucky to get an interview let alone a job offer.

Thanks for your answers. I'm not that familiar with UI so this situation struck me as interesting so I posted about it. I'm not sure what point of collecting UI this guy was in. I just overheard the conversation. It seemed he wasn't happy with what was out there, and that collecting UI was a lot better than finding a lower paying job, since it gave him more freedom to look for a better job and to enjoy the holidays.

How long does UI usually last? Also, do they know if you turn down a job or not?

Personally, I would take the first job I find. But I could also see his point. If you find a job that pays A LOT less than what you were originally making, and even was paying you less than your UI, I could see why you would turn it down.

Brings up a point though, how desperate are people nowadays for jobs, if they can turn down jobs while collecting UI?

How long does UI usually last? Also, do they know if you turn down a job or not? ..............Brings up a point though, how desperate are people nowadays for jobs, if they can turn down jobs while collecting UI?

Depends on the State he lives in. I think 26 weeks. And if there is rampant unemployment states may extend benefits for an additional 13 weeks.....

A few weeks ago on Nov 21st.. Pres. Bush signed a bill that would federally extend unemployment extentions from 13 to 20 weeks. In states where unemployment is above 6% and higher.. the extention to the extention is an additional 13 weeks.

How desperate are people for jobs? Well... let me put it this way. I hate snow.. yet I'm hoping it snows, so I can get creative and make a few bucks by snowblowing neighborhood driveways. I'm desperate enough to start calling "TEMP" agencies. I'm desperate enough that the idea of taking the last of my savings, buying a bill board and posting my resume along a road-side sounds appealing.

Thanks for the info. I never knew much about UI, now I am more informed. Shadows Light, I feel for your situation. I do hope you find a job soon. I hope you didn't take my comments as me being aloof or like I didn't take seriously people's situation about not having jobs.

I overheard this conversation while waiting in line for dinner when I was out in Las Vegas with my mom. It just struck me as interesting, so I decided to ask on here.

I know unemployment is somewhat high in my state, but at first glance, it doesn't seem like it either since people are still out and about shopping for the holidays, restaurants are still full, etc.

For those out there without jobs, I hope you guys all find one soon. And for the rest of us, who knows, with the economy the way it is, we may one day find ourselves without a job.

Good luck!

I hope you didn't take my comments as me being aloof or like I didn't take seriously people's situation about not having jobs.

No... you didn't say anything wrong and no I've taken no offense.

Yes, there are people out there still shopping and going out. Last night, driving through my neighborhood, I saw many elaborate Christmas displays in people's yards. And here I am, winterizing my house and trying to figure out what to cut out next.

Last weekend, I went out with a few friends. NETWORKING for me more than a social call. The conversations flowed around the ecconomy, possible lay-offs, which companies were planning on shutting down, and who was feeling the cold chill of the grim reaper creeping up behind them in the guise of a "PINK SLIP" in the next few weeks. And yet..........

And yet... to the outsider, we'd all look like we were having a good ol time. A bunch of ol friends getting together to toss back a beer or two.

One of my GF's said...."I refuse to let all the negativity seep into my life. We just need to keep our spirits up and things will turn." ideas and suggestions flew round robin about, pot luck suppers, card games, movie nights, girls nights at home etc.

So I suppose that maybe all the twinkling cheery lights out on display are NOT all just from people who are doing well and employed. But it could be people like me.... people who are still fighting to keep positive... to keep on hoping that change is on the horizon.

The gentleman's convesation you overheard. I wonder what he does for a living? age-bracket? social-ecconomic status? married? children? Living with mom and dad? I suppose if I had another income in the home, or if it was just ME to look after, I'd be more cavelier about collecting unemployment vs taking a lower paying job.

Hey... thanks for asking the question though. It's never wrong to ask a question and find out different view points. It shows that you are an intelligent person and want to be informed.

I guess I live in a very employed part of the country. All my friends are doing well, and except for retail workers, people are employed. Of course, in my area there are no manufacturing jobs, no cars are made, nothing really produced, nada. It is mostly professional jobs, restaurants, or retail. I've heard it's bad other places, though. If I lost one of my jobs now, I'd be in big trouble, but I'm up for yet another one that's a bit of a commute, but more money. I probably won't get it, but if you don't ask, you have no chance of getting. Good luck to all of you! I hope you land your dream job!

The other criteria to keep getting you unemployment checks is that you show you are actively looking for work, sending resumes, taking interviews if offered etc.

So you can turn down a lower paying job, but you must also show you are really trying to look for a job by showing proof you look constantly. I think they require you to submit a list of what companies you applied at so they can check up on you should they desire to do so.

Unemployment pisses me off! I wasn't laid off from my last job, but I quit to move back up with my parents to help them out. (my mom was going in for cancer related surgery). WELL, I have been denied unemployment three times! I even wrote a long letter stating my mom was sick, etc.

and NOW I have to go to court and appeal it in person. Its such a joke! And I look for work ALL THE TIME! and im educated with experience. Its very frustrating I can't get unemployment with a valid excuse.

So in essense if I found a lower paying job, yes I would take it. Because the chances of getting laid off from that job are probably pretty high, and thus make you applicable for unemployment.

Calidream, I am sorry to hear about your mother's health, but unfortunately unemployment insurance is designed as insurance in the event you are involuntarily forced out of your job by your employer, not if you choose to quit for whatever reason other than being forced out of your job. Insurance is very specific about what conditions are required to obtain it, and quitting your job voluntarily for whatever reason doesn't qualify you for unemployment.

I would suggest you don't waste your time and money trying to go to court over this, because legally you are just not entitled to unemployment insurance. The best analogy i can give you is that if your car gets wrecked insurance has to pay, but if you decide to get rid of the car on your own for whatever reason and drive it to the junk yard, insurance won't pay because it was your choice to experience the loss by getting rid of the car.

The same applies to unemployment insurance.

There are however provisions for dealing with sick relatives called the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) that allow you to take up to 3 months a year off from your job to care for a family member (without pay) and they legally have to keep your job open, but you wouldn't get paid during that 3 months. But since you already quit, FMLA doesn't apply to you anymore.

Actually in the unemployment information packet, quitting a job for a sick relative is a valid excuse for unemployment. This is in california, I am not sure if it changes from state to state? But i AM actually entitled for unemployment. And I have been approved for $360 a week, so I am sure going to fight it!

FMLA would not have worked for me, I lived 7 hours away from my parents.

Its really unfortunate that there is no assistance for people in general. I can't qualify for any other programs because i DONT have kids. And the most I could get from 'general assistance' is $30 a month! And I have applied to over hundreds of jobs!

But you said you weren't approved, and now you are saying you are approved? If you are approved, why are you having to appeal? That doesn't make sense.

For anyone reading this considering quitting a job and hoping for unemployment, it is always best to consult your state's unemployment agency before quitting and assuming you will get unemployment. There may be special clauses that *allow* them to approve if you quit, but you are not guaranteed approval if you quit, and they usually don't approve for people who quit unless there are really extenuating circumstances.

I looked at the Calif. webpage and it said if there is illness you have to prove that you attempted to solve the problem to keep your job (as in asking for a leave of absense or using FMLA) first, so if you quit without first going thru those channels that may be why you are getting denied. If you just unilaterally quit without trying to keep your job thru negotiation, that may be the problem. If you had been able to show that you tried to get them to give you a leave of absense for X months to help with your family til your mother was over the surgery and they disapproved it, then perhaps you would have gotten the unemployment. But if you just quit without showing that you were trying to solve the problem or return to the job later (and having written proof they rejected your attempt), then that may be why you are getting denied. There are legal guidelines, and you have to follow them.

Archived