I have to wake up at 5am for my first day!

hey,

i have got a new job working at a hospital, the only shifts are 6-3 and 2-10,

we have to do 2 induction shifts and send some paperwork baack before we start working regularly , mine are tommorw and thursday. the first shift is 6-3!! i never get up early and go to bed about 1am, i will have to go to bed at like 10pm and i am worried i wont be b able to fall asleep then i will be so tierd at work, does anyone who works early shifts have any advice plsssss thanks (sorry if this sounds dumb but i amreally worried about it)

I believe the first time I went to bed at 9--- and then after a week discovered I could start later. It really isn't that bad. I get off at 1 and the whole day is ahead of me. Need to go to supermarket? No lines, no wait. My husband goes to the gym.... he can get any machiene he wants... no wait!

I draw the line at 5am... anything early than that and it is like doing an overnight shift.

Ruins your health and your life style. My Dad got up at 2-3am for most of his working life, sometimes at 4am but not often. Having seen the effects I would not recommend that working time frame to anyone.

Not sure if 4am is much better but I'd never do a 3am start unless I absolutely had too.

I am also not proud of my father for doing what he did because it was just a stupid thing for him to have done.

Try not to drink any coffee or caffeinne today so you can go to sleep earlier. You body can adjust to any schedule, but you most likely will need to start training your body to go to bed earlier everyday say at 10 p.m. if you are going to be working 6 a.m. shifts.

when you do wake up at 5 a.m., drinking a smashing big cup of coffee on the way to work. if you start getting up early, coffee early, you'll readjust your biorhythms to go to bed earlier and get up earlier.

Good luck Chocolate Cake and congrats on the job!

I, too, am a 1am'er sleeper LOL. I just recently switched to a new job six months ago that made me have to get up two hours earlier than normal. I am slowly getting used to it but have found that i still stay up until 1am most nights. But i am older than you and my habits probably more engrained into my routine.

You will get used to it. YOu will likely NEVER be a morning person if you are nocturnal by nature so i wont be a suzie q and tell you sure, you;ll change in no time! becuase you might not. But...even so you will get used to it. I have adjusted to my new schedule but not the way i wanted. I thought i would adjust by compensating for those two hours i lost by going to bed earlier. Nope, i still stay up as late i just compensated by being able to get up and function and work on less sleep. NOT an ideal situation I can assure you! I hope you adjust by getting the extra sleep and tacking it at the onset of night vs dawn.

Good luck again. Keep us updated on your progress!

I get up at 4:30am during the summer and 5:30 am during the winter and it does take some getting used to. My mind sometimes doesn't let me sleep and I have to take Nyquil about 30 minutes before I want to fall asleep and it usually works. Waking up is no problem for me as I usually wake before the alarm and lay there wide awake waiting for it to go off. The bad part is as soon as it does I am sleepy and tired and don't want to get up!

Change your routine a little to allow yourself to wind down and relax and let your friends know of your new shcedule so your phone won't be beeping at you all night.

Congrats on the job and good luck

lost

I recommend setting out all your clothes the night before. Start thinking about bedtime type routines and 'winding' down about an hour before you want to go to sleep (put on PJs, make a cup of hot tea, bundle up in a blankie, turn the lights down).

And though I wouldn't recommend it for long time use, since this is your first night and you haven't had time to prep for it, I would seriously consider taking a sleeping aid tonight around 9 as well.

If you get your self to bed by 10, wake up and work a first day as a nurse from 6 - 2, you get off and do stuff, you'll probalby be able to fall asleep really easily tomorrow night.

Congrats on the new job!

hii, thanks alot for ur replies!! the main problem is that i wont be doing these early shifts everyday, and it will change from week to week because its like work via an agency so the staff let them know when we are available. So i will have to get up early irregularly, the only motivation is that i will finish work early and i am getting experience that i need, i am also nervous about the first day so will add to not being able to sleep!!!!!! ill let u know how it was, i think ill def put my alarm away from me so i have 2 get up.](*,)

Archived