When everything started faling into place and you were ready for a relationship, how did you know your boyfriend/girlfriend. Were you already friends and taking it to the next level or did you meet them through a mutual friend, online.....?

I feel like I can't find anybody who I'm interested in. Maybe its the whole: "you can't find it when your looking for it" thing. maybe I'm looking to hard and when it happens it happens.

But I was just curious how most of you met you boyfriends/girlfriends

I met mine through a mutual friend. It's funny because I never thought I'll ever get to know him the way I do now. Physically and look wise, he's not my type, and I was still getting over my previous relationship. Never even had the intention to be his friend. But eventually, after several months, we started hanging out more often and my mates were actually trying to hook him up with our other friend, but then I interrupted the whole process by having the guts to tell him one night that I'm starting to fall for him..and the rest was history =)

When I had healed from the breakup of a 5 year relationship, (this took a couple of months), I decided I didn't want to take the chance and meet someone in person who turned out to be incompatible with me. So, I made a list of what I wanted in a man and went looking online. My bf's ad popped out because it was written very well and seemed to be from an intelligent man. He said he didn't care what a woman weighed, what color her hair was, what she did for a living, or anything like that. He said he was looking for an honest, intelligent woman who didn't play games and was looking for a relationship based on this. I answered his ad and we wrote back and forth for about a week. He said I was the only one who understood his ad, (if you hadn't taken some science classes, you wouldn't have gotten his meaning). Then, we exchanged phone numbers and called each other for another week. We made a date to meet for dinner at a very nice restaurant near my home. When he walked into the restaurant I decided to break the ice by going up to him and kissing him. Any man that I will be with has to know I am in-your-face honest and upfront and if he didn't like what I did, I wouldn't be wasting any of my time on dinner. Well, his face lit up, we had a delightful dinner (he made me laugh so hard my stomache hurt the next day), made a date for the next night (where we had sex for the first time), and have been seeing each other ever since. Last month we celebrated our nine year anniversary.

We met through a mutual friend but didn't start dating until a year later when he randomly offered to help me with something. We just connected at that point.

Even after hanging out a few times I didn't think anything would come of it because 1- I've dated several guys & rarely did it result in a relationship. 2-I had to move accross the country a week later for the next 6 months & 3- he just didn't seem like my type. He's barely taller than me, pretty thin, doesn't exactly open doors for me. But he's great. I'm lucky I wasn't dumb enough to not give him a chance, because if it happened a couple years earlier I probably wouldn't have!

Don't exclude people as a possibility if you have no reason to other than "eh, I don't know. He's just not the type I normally go for". Obviously if "your type" isn't working for you maybe you should try a different type!

because I'm bi and I wasn't really clear in my post. But I don't care the sexual orientation of who posts I'm just looking for... hope maybe? I wasn't aware that new threads are posted on a separate page other than the LGBT one. sorry about the confusion.

I went to the theater for a ballet to watch my (then) partner dance. I noticed this guy in the audience, not far back from me, who was staring at me and me back at him. Turns out that he recognized me, and actually knew quite a lot about me already from things he had read.

We ended up meeting again randomly and I agreed to go out and play pool. He was incredibly shy. We became good friends, and then as my other relationship fell apart... we grew closer and got together. Still together, many ups and downs.

I met my girlfriend on an online dating site for lesbians. It was a LDR for about a year. She moved closer, and we continued dating. About a year and half ago, we moved in together. We've been together for three and a half years. She's someone I may never have considered if we didn't get to know each other through long distance, first. I definitely agree, keep your mind open. The list of who you want isn't always what you need.

The list of who you want isn't always what you need.

I really like the way you put that!

How hard is it to be in a long distance relationship though. I always think it would be hard to connect with somebody, but I guess for some things distance doesn't matter.

I really like the way you put that!

How hard is it to be in a long distance relationship though. I always think it would be hard to connect with somebody, but I guess for some things distance doesn't matter.

I did a long distance relationship for two years. Then my next relationship involved long periods apart, due to jobs. I actually really enjoyed it. With my LDR, we had most weekends together. It meant that I always had plenty of "me" time and we were always left wanting to spend more time together.

We used to play online games together, and chat etc... during the week - so it wasn't too bad. Like I said above, it was actually quite enjoyable.

We did the long-distance thing for about a year, until she moved closer. She didn't move in--she got a job and an apartment and we continued to build our relationship, which turned out to be a good thing. Even while LD, though, we saw each other at least every other weekend, though. I didn't want to have big stretches of time between our meetings--I wanted us to get to know each other as well as possible. I had two other LDR's which just didn't work, in part because we could spend very little time together. On the other hand...I also liked my alone time, with myself and with my kids. Mixing us all together has had its challenges.

Archived