Can My Work Do This?

glegend

Im gonna keep this short as possible.

Here in Ontario we are expecting a snow storm. One of the managers at my work was crapping his pants about it and since I was the only in at the time who can drive an electric pump truck (or pallet truck as some know it as) he asked me to bring in the salt from the garden center. Its not like we didnt have enough in the store but I'm not gonna argue with him since he is really tight with the general manager of the store.

Basically this is what happened. Where the salt was located in the garden center it is under these metal racks. I clipped 3 bags again the shelf. I ripped them open and some of them fell out. He tells me "ohh dont worry about it, I'll just tell 'M' (M being the general manager) to take it off your pay when next pay week comes" Before he told me that we discussed that it was alright and they will just use the salt for store use instead of opening new bags.

Now I'm wondering if I am actually going to get deducted for those bags. We`ve all broken stuff and its never happened. I have no problem paying for them as I did rip the bags; however, if I pay for them I want them in the end.

My question is this can then deduct me for the cost of those bags, which only a bit came out, but use them for the store use. OR since I am paying for them should I be able to get them instead.

Because I see it this way. If I pay for them, they are mine. If I pay for them and the store uses them, without me giving them to them, they are stealing from me (not sure if stealing is the right word here.)

If he's going to pull the old "you break it you bought it" trick with you then you own them.

Thats how I see it.

And in the end I dont want to have bought 3 bags of salt that I don't have. On top of that I don't really want to make a big issue there at work, cause I don't know what will happen.

Are you sure he wasn't joking?

I have no clue. Its hard to read this guy. He is a bit of a joker. But he has the brain the size of a peanut, with a short fuze. He's a * * * * sucker, thats why he's tight with the general manager. So really I have no clue, its hard to tell if he is or not. Persoanlly, I think he might be. However, he told me that he's been charged for things he's broken in the past. Which makes me think that he is not joking.

Conversly, if the store uses them then all you owe is the for the amount that was unusable.

Are you sure he wasn't kidding? I've had bosses joke about deducting stuff from people's checks before and they weren't actually serious.

Again, not sure if he was kidding or not.

If the store wants to use them then they can buy them back from me, just by deducting less from my pay. Realistically, there would be no point on deducting me cause maybe 20 cents worth of salt came out of each bag. They were 20KG bags that reatil for $2.99 each.

Well many of your posts i don't agree with you. In this case, i say that if they dock you for those bags, you should own those bags. If you find they take it out of your check you should get the salt to do with what you want.

If they use the salt for the store, and would have anyway, they shouldn't charge you for it.

Accidents will always happen on the job and employers have insurance for this. I don't think he was serious, probably joking, but if he was serious and you are docked you should get to take the ripped bags home with you.

Just to add, it would be ridiculous for them to deduct me pay for two reasons. (1) I stayed beyond my scheduled shift, which I didn't have to, so I can help him out. (2) I did him a huge favour, leaving the retail floor to help him out, which my manager doesn't like us leaving our department to help other departments out. When he asked me if I was busy and if I could help him I said yea, which I could of said no.

Just to add, it would be ridiculous for them to deduct me pay for two reasons. (1) I stayed beyond my scheduled shift, which I didn't have to, so I can help him out. (2) I did him a huge favour, leaving the retail floor to help him out, which my manager doesn't like us leaving our department to help other departments out. When he asked me if I was busy and if I could help him I said yea, which I could of said no.

and this exactly what you say if they try to deduct your pay.

I hope the guy was joking or will at least forget about it. If he turns out to be serious, you definitely need to fight this. Some employers will try to get away with murder when it comes to certain employees...

and this exactly what you say if they try to deduct your pay.

I hope the guy was joking or will at least forget about it. If he turns out to be serious, you definitely need to fight this. Some employers will try to get away with murder when it comes to certain employees...

So just tell them

1) I stayed beyond my scheduled shift, which I didn't have to, so I can help him out. (2) I did him a huge favour, leaving the retail floor to help him out, which my manager doesn't like us leaving our department to help other departments out. When he asked me if I was busy and if I could help him I said yea, which I could of said no
if they want/try to deduct me pay?

I hope he is joking as well. I'm going to fight it if it comes to them deducting me the cost of the salt. Some might argue that it would be stupid to argue for it, since you don't want to cause problems in the work place, but if thats what it comes to then so be it.

I just found out today that last night two of the carts guy fired. They needed gloves cause it was cold, and came into the store asked him for gloves, he told them get them from the shelft, they got gloves off the shelf and put them on he got the LP (loss prevention) to catch them and he fired them on spot. Now this makes me wonder if he's 2 faced like this, whats to say that he's not going to turn around and get them to doc me pay.

When my manager gives me my pay stub and I notice I was deducted for 3 bags of salt, I'm going to explain the situation to her, and see what she can do. Knowing her she will either get me my money back or give me the salt.

The glove incident was different, tho, because Loss Prevention saw him take something off the shelf and use it which is considered stealing. As forsomeone telling him to take them off the shelf, unless you heard a manager say that you only are hearing that employee's story and most people who are fired NEVER tell the whole truth.

The difference in your situation is the damage was caused by an accident, not an act of theft.

"I just found out today that last night two of the carts guy fired. They needed gloves cause it was cold, and came into the store asked him for gloves, he told them get them from the shelft, they got gloves off the shelf and put them on he got the LP (loss prevention) to catch them and he fired them on spot. Now this makes me wonder if he's 2 faced like this, whats to say that he's not going to turn around and get them to doc me pay."

What??? this is the same job, right, that was goign to time how long you guys took bathroom breaks right?

I'm thinking this is not legal for them to do.. is there a government agency in Canada where you can see about worker's rights?

I'm mean, geez... they tell the company they need gloves to do the work, they tell them to get it off the shelf, then accuse the company workers of theft?

That's messed up...

Glegend. I got a big work dilemma... can I PM you? I think you always have a good head on your shoulders.

Yea man its the same crappy job that does monitor bathroom breaks. There are only two agencies that I can think of to complain to here in Canada. Ministry of Labor is one of them. However, I cannot call the Ministry of Labor because they take your information down. Once the store gets the complaint from the ministry then they will see my name on it and I'll get in some trouble.

The second one is this hot line that the company has where employees can call in an file there complaint. Basically head-office has this number and you give them your complaint, and you don't have to leave your name, and they forward the concern to the general manager and store owner and they address it and if nothing happens then head-office deals with it.

Now if you also want to talk about them doing illegal things, check this out. For us to use the bathroom we have to swipe our name tags that has a UPC on it. Once the UPC is scanned, it knows which employee it is and unlocks the door. For them to install that mechanism that unlocks the door they had to cut through the door that leads into the bathroom/change room. Here in Ontario, the Ontario Building Code (OBC) states that there must be a fire-rated door in all commercial building, just in case there is a fire. Well that door that they cut through is a fire-rated door. And guess what your not supposed to do? Cut a fire rated door. Guess what, they cut it. To make things worse, for them to repair the door they went to the automotive department of the store and got a piece of sheet metal for small auto-body repair and soldered it on the door and put some auto-body filler at the corners. Now this illegal.

Now if I call the ministry the door thing is something that I cannot tell them, because I am the only one in the store that knows the Ontario Building Code (OBC). Majority of the people know I know the OBC and that my dad does renovations. They can catch me again.

Just to add I might be even be able to get them into trouble with their sales of wood burning stoves. Here in Ontario, you must have a building permit for the installation of a wood burning stove. The hardware manager does not know this and I've brought it up to him and he is so set in his ways that he disagrees. He's one of those managers that thinks that just because he is the hardware manager he knows everything. I can also get the hardware manager in trouble. His employees broke a fluorescent light bulb in the store and we all know it contains mercury and that your supposed to call poison control, well he didn't he just made his guys clean it up.

Now to the gloves situation. By law they are supposed to provide: jackets, eye protection, gloves, safety harness, back brace belt, etc... The guy they got permission from is an assistant manager of the store, he manages the cart guys department (somewhat) along side the other guy who fired them. They had permission, they got the gloves which were priced at $1.99. They took them, they put them on, and the LP caught them. Not only did their manager (who fired them) find out they had permission to get them, he called the cops, pressed charges for theft on them, and fired them. To make matters even worse, one of the guys parents called in and spoke to the manager that fired them. They set up a meeting for today (Sunday), and he told them he will be a the store, it was his day off and they came for no reason. Tomorrow (Monday) they are going to speak with the store manager. They are pretty much set on pressing charges, even though they might only get a settlement. The other cart guy is also going to press charges.

To be honest with everyone, I would really like to see them press charges. I really think they should not have lost their jobs. I also want to see this manager, who told me that I'm going to be charged for the salt, and who fired them (same manager), to fall and loose this job and be on the street begging for money. I know it sounds harsh but he is such a looser, you see him and you know there is something wrong with him. I really think there is a chemical imbalance in his brain. I've seen this guy flip out on boxes before, he was cursing at them and kicking them and treating them like scum even though they are only boxes. You see this guy and the way he walk you can tell there is something wrong with him, and he also walks like a loser. He uses a pair of pliers to lock the deadbolt on the sliding door to the garden center on the nights he is closing, when my manager is not there. Like who does that, I easily turn the deadbolt and lock and unlock the door. I also want to see him fall cause he acts like he is all that. He comes with his new wife and acts like she is the hottest girl in the world in front of all the employees. She has a good body but she is a butterface, pure nasty like no wonder she went for someone way older then her, cause no on wanted her. She is 2 years older then me and I turn 19 in 2 weeks. He also acts like he is all that but doesnt have a car for himself.

Anyways feel free to PM anytime you like. I'd like to think I have a good head on my shoulders and I never mind helping out other ENA members.

If they are doing the illegal stuff with the doors and crap, when inspections are done it will be picked up on and if it is truly illegal they will get in trouble for it.

As for the other issue, yes, if they are going to pull the "you break it you buy it" policy it's yours. However i'd make sure he wasn't joking.

Seems like you really hate this job, if it's that bad where you are constantly having problems maybe it's time to look for a new job somewhere else? I know they are hard to come by but can't be much harder than dealing with the stuff you do.

Hopefully there will be an inspection soon. Corporate has been in the store a few times since the door system has been put in place, but nothing has happened. I would really like to see them get in trouble for it and like I said about about the other manager, I would like to see the store manager fall as well.

Hopefully, he was joking. One of my co worker friends who works in his department told me that he jokes around like that. He says that he has broke things and has been told the same but has not been subjected to any pay deductions. I believe him, but I'm still waiting for my pay to find out.

The only part about the job I like is working in my department, for my manager. The rest of it, I hate. Its really been up until recently, that I'm starting to hate the job. Mostly, its these rules that they are just now implementing and how they are starting to treat us.

Well when I quit from there I'm gonna file my complaint. I'll be quitting in a few months anyways. This month is almost done, then the next two months its going to be a dead and only 2 shifts a week maximum, then were going to set up for the spring/summer and pretty much when the setting up for the spring/summer is done I'm gone.

I'm going to do some further research into who I can really complain to about the door thing. I'm going to see if I can get in touch with a building inspector and talk to him or her about the door situation. And see what they suggest.

well.. them selling the wood stoves without a permit, sure sounds like a def. safety issue to me.. Are they also putting their customers in danger???

Wow... and the fire door thing.. say, suppose there's a fire..that person in the bathroom is going to be like a marshmellow..

we have something called OSHA here... gosh... seems like there's GOTTA be a way you could report this anonymously!

I gotta go pay a bill and get some exercise, but I will definitely PM you! You think your company is bad!!!! LOL...

we can compare notes.. Mine is NUTS! Anyway.... I cannot believe the damn company FIRED those workers, then CALLED the COPS on them!

Oh, this is a superb lawsuit in the making. Hope the parents of said fired workers know an excellent attorney. Just by the way you describe it.. I've love to see them fry in court too!!

Man, oh, man..don't you have corrupt companies! Well, we got scads of them down here, otherwise, we wouldn't be in this financial mess we are in.

Hang in there. I need to start hunting for a new gig too. This one don't pay crap and they treat us like dirt besides!

well.. them selling the wood stoves without a permit, sure sounds like a def. safety issue to me.. Are they also putting their customers in danger???

Wow... and the fire door thing.. say, suppose there's a fire..that person in the bathroom is going to be like a marshmellow..

I personally think its a huge safety issue. Not to many people know they need a permit to install it. Of couse they could install it without the permit but if something goes wrong and the house sets on fire then the insurance will not file the claim because there was no permit pulled to install it. Its legal for them to sell the wood stoves, dont get me wrong. However, I know the type of people who are buying them. I've delt with them before, last winter the stoves used to be in my department and I always informed customer that they need a building permit. Some may say well your costing us a sale if they have to get a permit, but that contradicts what they tell the guys who work in the sports department. They tell the guys push people to buy helmets, for safety. In a way they are and are not putting the customers in danger. As long as the person knows what they are doing to when installing it and they install it according to code then no they are not really putting themselves in danger. However, if the person does a crappy installation then yes they are putting themselves in danger. I really think the real danger is not informing people about the building permit.

The door you pretty much summed it all up. The door is now weak from its fire protection. The door is rated to resit "X" amount of time if there is a fire. With a piece about 12x6 cut out and replaced with autobody sheet metal, its lost some of it fire retardant durability. Thus, putting our lives in danger in case there is a fire resulting in the fire being able to get it to the change room/bathroom.

Archived