I'm stuck

redrose85
OMAD + Keto Diet - Fitness Journey ...
OMAD + Keto Diet - Fitness Journey (Day 7) ft. Cooking My Meal

I started working out 4-5 days per week on Oct 16, and have stuck with it. I admit that my diet has become a bit lax in the past couple of weeks, but for the most part, I eat healthy. I am sitting at the exact same weight I started at. I have upped the intensity of my workouts, but can only do so much because I have kind of a bum knee that protests when I try to do too much. I just don't get why my weight is being maintained when it should be dropping (logically!) Do I have to cut out ALL junk foods to see results? I always though moderation worked, but it's not working for me. I don't feel I'm at a healthy weight for my height- I'm 5'0 and 135 lbs. I have great muscle tone since I started this new "program" but the flab won't go away.

I've got the same problem! I think going to the gym is keeping me at the same weight and if I didn't go I'd put on weight, but I want to actually lose weight! It's hard...I'm trying these detox pills which are supposed to make you lose water retention so hopefully that will help. I'll let you know if it works

It's quite possible that, since you've been working out, you're gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat, so you're substituting fat for muscle, but since muscle weighs more, your weight isn't going down. This is just a guess. My trainer told me that a lot of women GAIN weight when they first start working out with weights/doing strength training, and that they freak out as a result, so she assures them that they're most likely gaining muscle.

What kinds of stuff do you do other than cardio? Strength training and doing weights are extremely important, as they build a lot of muscle, which in turn burns more fat.

My traniner says that some of the best exercises you can do are squats and lunges, that type of thing, as they build the quadriceps and the gluteal muscles -- very large muscles that help you to burn a lot of calories even when you're not working out. She taught me how to do several different variations on squats and lunges, and I can't believe the difference I've noticed! She also has me do a lot of really serious ab stuff -- not situps or crunches -- but different ab exercises involving weights, resitance balls, medicine balls, etc. I'm super sore right now, but I feel great!

Also: Keep in mind that the scale isn't necessarily the best indicator of your fitness.

Case in point: My trainer, who is roughly the same height as me, weighs a few pounds more than I do, and she LOOKS as if she weighs 20-25 pounds LESS, and I know she wears at least two clothing sizes smaller than I do. She told me people routinely guess that she weighs 25-30 pounds less than she does, and it's because her muscle tone is so good and her body fat percentage is low (not abnormally low, but MUCH lower than mine!) Of course, she's been training for years, and was even a step or so away from being an Olympic gymnast at one point, so it makes sense she'd be really fit.

I look at her and KNOW I need to eat better. I don't eat a ton of crap, at least not compared to other people, but I need to cut some stuff out (like the squares of chocolate I just ate)..

I get most of my protein from eggs, shrimp and chicken. Sometimes I eat red meat, but not too often anymore. A typical day would be:

Gym from 8-9:00

1 or 2 cups of cheerios with 1% lactaid for breakfast. If I have any bananas, I'll slice one up.

Lunch really varies. I know I eat lunch too late (2 or 3 pm on school days) a lot of the time, which leads to me being starving and eating too much. I have definitely been hungrier than normal lately. I carry snacks with me, such as carrots, but they don't even put a dent in my hunger.

Dinner- stir fried veggies with rice or noodles, and a little bit of sauce. If I need protein, I throw some shrimp in. Tonight, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and a bit of spinach with an oil based dressing.

Snacks are where I do badly- I crave crunchy things, so instead of buying chips I buy crackers and fresh veggies, but I overeat on those things, I know I do. When I got back from the gym today I boiled up an egg and ate that for a snack, instead of turning to carbs.

I also overdo it on carbs. I will sit there and eat a big bowl of noodles, knowing that I shouldn't be, but doing it anyways. Leaves me feeling gross and guilty, yet I still do it.

I do weight train about 2x a week, working from top to bottom. Some excercises I am avoiding right now (lunges, and other things that are really rough on the knees) because I have a gimped left knee and it acts up when I use it a lot. I used to take a fitness class where we used free weights, medicine balls, stability balls, etc... and it was all centered around the abs and back, but we used literally every muscle in our bodies. I definitely saw results from that. I don't go to that gym anymore, but I'm considering going back to that class once a week.

did u know a banana has 70 carbs?

and cheerios, 2 cups have about 45 carbs. your getting 105 carbs just for breakfast.

the stir fried veggies with rice/noodles actually sounds so gooooood (since i'm starving now) and if you lower the amount of carbs your having for breakfast i think it should be no problem if you just keep havng this for dinner.

1 cup of rice has about 40-45 carbs in it btw.

honestly the only thing which let me lose weight last yr (a few kg) was counting calories and lowering my carbs. i tried keeping it around 100 even though i know it's low. i only did it some time and it really helped me. and then i gradually ate more (but i still make sure not to eat more then 1 cup of rice with my lunch. i used to eat 2 or more.)

i suggest eating your cereal if you want but with no banana. put strawberries in if you can.

and take an extra fruit to school with u to snack on so ur not starving. maybe 2.

Hi, I feel like I can relate. I used to be able to lose weight (and see the results) very quickly, but within the last year this seems to have changed I have spent the last few months eating healthier foods and I have cut out almost all junk foods, but when I look at the scale, the numbers haven't really changed. Physically, it shows that i have lost a little weight, but not much I don't really know what's going on.

I would agree that it's a good idea to keep a food journal though, like the others said, and also makeup a menu for yourself. List all your favorite healthy foods to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and that way you'll be less likely to just reach for random things when you're hungry. Also, when you eat breads or pasta/rice, try to eat whole grain versions - they fill you up faster in smaller portions, and your body is satisfied for a longer period of time (which will help to prevent over-eating). Drink lots of water! Other than this, I don't know what else to suggest..i have no idea what is going on myself with my situation lol. I will comment again if i remember something else

Some of my favorite healthy snacks: Baby carrots/whole wheat crackers with hummus; smoothies (I just use skim milk, a bit of low fat yogurt, and i like to add frozen fruits, and you can add some honey or maple syrup for a bit more sweetness); fruits dipped in vanilla yogurt. I also like Bruschetta (i just use chopped tomato, garlic and salt/pepper, olive oil) : ).

Thank you! Bananas are pretty evil I guess. What about apples?

I'm pretty hungry right now, but I just don't know what to eat. I had a small snack of cheese and crackers (there were samples of gourmet cheeses at a concert I was at tonight, yum!) but I'm still hungry. Maybe if I ignore it, it will go away.

G84- you listed some of my favorite snacks I am seeing a physical difference, but the scale just keeps going back and forth. I'm trying to hold out hope that next month the numbers will start dropping, but I dunno

Cheerios gotta go I hated oatmeal's but they last so much longer in terms of keeping you full and with less calories. Stay away from anything that's processed (or try to) even if it's a healthy snack. And snack on fruits between breakfast & lunch. You don't want that big four hr gap between each meal.

And absolutely no eating two hours before bed time. I would up your weight training schedule to at least three times a week. And vary the cardio in both intensity and program if you haven't & keep it fun of course I know it's hard during winter and not being able to go outside often but sometimes you gotta do something drastic to shock the body.

Bananas are pretty evil I guess. What about apples?

Apples would be good! They contain fiber which will keep you full longer. I think bananas would be good to include in your breakfast since they provide good energy - good way to start the day

Even if they're whole grain cheerios? The ones with just a little bit of sugar? I'm going to have to find something other than oatmeal. I ate it every morning for a year, and I can't stand the stuff anymore. I am thinking that through the christmas holidays I will TRY and go 7 days a week to the gym.

That is why I put some banana in sometimes, because those things keep me full like nothing else.

Why are you not supposed to eat 2 hours before bedtime?

I'm not saying it's BAD but it's better since you get hungry too easily with processed carbs which of course you end up eating more of it later.

They say you shouldn't eat an hour before bed time or two hours (ideal) to prevent the body from storing the excess calories as fats. Carbs are the worst at night. Whatever you don't burn during sleep all ends up somewhere you don't want it.

I try to drink water first to make sure I'm not thirsty. Or shove a piece of gum or something to keep me from eating late at night...and I know, it's very difficult! I ate 1/2 cup of ice cream last night and boy was it good while feeling a bit guilty hehe.

It does look like it's changing. Bit by bit. I am going to try really hard not to eat before bedtime. That's when the munchies kick in the most.

Since I had cheerios for breakfast, I am having a beef and broccoli stir fry with orange sauce with no rice or noodles

Hmm.. You can try other alternative cereals if you want to lose weight. Special K for instance tastes good and doesn't require you to add banana for a better taste.

Apples are GOOD! Fiber! And they taste pretty ok. Oranges, baby carrots, cucumbers and almost ALL fruits are just fine for snacking on. It's bananas and potatoes which are 2 fruits/veggies that contain a TON of "those evil" (but oh so yummy) carbs.

If I don't eat late at night I already notice a difference the next day. What time do you sleep? Let's say it's at 11pm, try eating around 9 or before. In the beginning you'll get the munchies but if you stick it out your body gets used to it.

I used to eat junk or heavy meals at night and when I stopped, nothing filled me up aside from a whole value meal (roughly 1000 calories). So I just tried to stick to it and now sometimes I just have a sandwhich for dinner.

Or if a fruits (or 2) don't leave me satisfied I have a stoasted andwhich with cheese and tomotoes. Only occasionally of course.

Archived