Difference between dating and having a bf or gf?

GameX

I would first like to mention how good it feels to be able to move from the 'Breaking Up and Divorce' section to the 'Dating' section. I never thought it would happen, but after 10 months, I am doing so much better than I ever thought was possible.

I met this girl on eHarmony. We exchanged a bunch of emails back and forth, then started chatting on AIM, and then we went out a couple times. I am actually getting ready to go out with her in an hour or so. We are both extremely shy people, but we are both very interested in each other. We kissed on the second date. When we talk online, we can talk about anything with each other. I guess my question is, is there some sort of difference between dating and actually being bf/gf? If I am dating someone, does that mean she is my girlfriend? If there is a difference, how long do you wait before making that 'transition'? This is only the second girl I have ever dated, my first was when I was 16 which lasted over 5 years, so I am not too familiar with whats proper nowadays.

I've always felt that once two people have discussed being exclusive and agree to that then they make the transition from dating to bf/gf. If I call a guy I am dating my "boyfriend", I am not seeing any other guys with romantic intentions, and likewise he isn't seeing any other girls with romantic intentions. We're also pretty conservative in that we don't fraternize with our friends of the opposite sex without the other partner usually being there.

Sounds like this situation is on track to become something very meaningful to you...congrats!

I think dating is an early stage of being in a relationship, which means you are boyfriend and girlfriend. It's the "getting to know you" period. I use it as time to realize if I want to be in a committed relationship with them, and see if they will put that effort into it, too. You both will know when you are ready to take it to the next step (not sex per say) but as in a relationship. No dating other people, etc. It's a commitment!

I think dating is an early stage of being in a relationship, which means you are boyfriend and girlfriend. It's the "getting to know you" period. I use it as time to realize if I want to be in a committed relationship with them, and see if they will put that effort into it, too. You both will know when you are ready to take it to the next step (not sex per say) but as in a relationship. No dating other people, etc. It's a commitment!

But are you boyfriend and girlfriend? What about the "dating other people too" bit that's a possibility?

Archived