What is REAL love actually like? What is Infatuation?

Sick

I've never really understood fully the difference between love and infatuation. IS there even a difference? I hear some people say there isn't, and I hear some people say that love is deeper and lasts longer and creates a stronger attachment, while others say that infatuation is actually the one that creates a stronger bond.

I thought I was in love with the last guy i was with. The feelings i had for him were incredibly strong, he was my entire world, i almost became obsessive and even though he treated me like crap i kept crawling back to him and i felt as if i couldn't live without him. I thought i loved him with all my heart but now looking back on it, I was just a complete idiot for staying with him for so long. And a few people i know are trying to tell me it was only an obsession i had (infatuation) and not really love. Near the end I didn't really even care for him as a person, it was more just lust driving me on. But then again, maybe that was because of the way he treated me.

So idk what to think. What is real love? What does it feel like? Maybe I'm just too young, too inexperianced, too immature, but all of this is really confusing to me...

in my experience they are two separate things

infatuation happens early on, when you just click with somebody and you really love to be around them.

love happens later, as you learn more and more about each other and grow together. when you can finish each others sentences. when their happiness is your happiness, and their failures, your failures.

it's hard to tell when the transition happens, though.

i think the best way to find out if you are infatuated or really in love is to forcefully be separated from them for a long period of time..like 5 years. i was with someone a long time ago and like i really really truly adored him because he is the nicest and most romantic guy on the planet but then i let him go. only to discover about 5 years later that i was actually in love with him, hopelessy, madly in love with him. of course this revelation came when it was a tad late. he had moved to canada (from Australia) and been there for about 4 years.

i didnt know just how much i truly loved him and couldnt imagine myself or my life without him until i lost him.

i also agree with ftheunion. when you love someone you care about them more than yourself but i also believe that when u know, u know. but i dont believe its instantaneous.

hope that helps!

Archived