Should I buy a car or fix my old one?

Jetta

I'm driving a 4 door 1997 Chevrolet Cavaliar with a spolier. Should I let this car go for a new one? I'm debating about leasing a new car or really buying a used car. This all started because my mom is kind of pushing the idea of a newer car for safety reasons. I think I can afford it but I'll have to curtail my spending, which won't be easy. Current problem is the brakes. Just looking for thoughts or opionions.

Brakes are cheap. Gas prices are down. Keep the car.

Lease payments are a hassle and combined with insurance cost a lot of money. Owned cars cost you nothing other than insurance and maintenance (a cost you still have to bear with a new leased vehicle).

Buying a newer one means getting a loan - meaning monthly payments and interest. Again, not cheap.

If you can afford it though, newer cars are much better on fuel, and of course there's that whole feeling of pride and accomplishment involved with owning a new vehicle.

I'd advise leasing over owning. If you buy, you lose money on the depreciation, plus you own a vehicle that already has problems. Leased vehicles come with warranty and at the end of the term you get anotehr new vehicle

I agree with ready. And do not lease! you pay x amount of dollars a month for so long and when the lease is up what do you have to show for it? You can buy it at the end of the lease but the balance may be more than what the car is worth. Just do your research and you will find what best suits you. Speaking from experience don't buy a new car because you want one only buy if you need one. Hope this helps. Happy Holidays

I'm driving a 4 door 1997 Chevrolet Cavaliar with a spolier. Should I let this car go for a new one? I'm debating about leasing a new car or really buying a used car. This all started because my mom is kind of pushing the idea of a newer car for safety reasons. I think I can afford it but I'll have to curtail my spending, which won't be easy. Current problem is the brakes. Just looking for thoughts or opionions.

Get the old one fixed. 1997 isn't that old. People ruin themselves on car payments. I cannot stress enough. Keep the old bom.

keep the older cars...they are gold now..i have a 92 mazda and i love it because i get so much better gas mileage right now compared to my eclipse. i was going to buy a new car also but i decided to wait till this mazda dies but its still kicking strong.

Cavaliers are decent cars. They are not the best cars in the world but they do the job. They get the job done, they are practical and they are gas misers. A brake job is not that much to be done to a car, so I say just get the brake job done. In comparison to what I had to do to my truck to fix it so its safe to be on the road, this is nothing. We all would like to have a new vehicle, I want a Acura RSX. But I can't afford it right now. Just remember one thing about your vehicle in comparison to replacing it with a used one, you know what problems (if any) your vehicle has you dont know what your going to uncover with the replacement vehicle.

I've never understood that whole drive a crap car in the winter phonemena. But I'm glad I'm not the only one driving an older car. Someone gave me a good rule of thumb. He said if repairs are costing me more than $1000/yr than to junk the car. So far repairs aren't and if they were to get that expensive I would.

Thanks for all the responses. Really helpful.

Try to avoid leasing or buying used. Since brakes are a simple, fairly cheap repair (ask around for companies in your area who will sell you the best brake pads or brake disk rotors, depending on what you need, for an acceptable price) just change the brakes.

If you have to change your spending to pay for a car it's not a good idea just yet. Start setting a little bit aside with each paycheck so you have enough for a down payment when your car REALLY needs to go. Also, you should keep a $500 base in your bank account (not always possible, I'm aware) for emergencies, including car issues.

I've never understood that whole drive a crap car in the winter phonemena.

Some people like to drive these pieces of crap during the winter so their ride doesnt see snow or salt. Some people drive certain cars that are better desinged for the winter and thats why they do that.

Personally, if I were to get my RSX, it probably wouldnt see much snow. Until I lower it, then I would drive it in the winter. But once I start working on it, I will drive it until there is too much snow on the ground and then it driving my truck for the winter.

I would keep it...I still drive my ugly 87 towncar that I had since hs.

Very nice car. Honestly. My dad had a towncar, I believe it was either a 69 or early 70's model, I can never remember. He he was pretty much my age at the time. My grandparents wanted to buy a car and my grandpa wanted something worth wild so they bought the towncar. At the time when they bough it the town car was going under the Continnetals name. Then my grandma went through the windsheild and he replaced it with a 1984 Continntal. Was supposed to be mine but some things happened and he had to get it towed and thrown out.

Now is a great time to buy a new car... there are all kinds of deals on financing and thousands of $$$ off. The car companies are really hurting now and are basically giving away a lot of cars at cost just to move inventory.

So if you do want a new car, now is a great time to buy. So some online shopping for customer incentives, and you'll see the bargains out there.

There are a few things to consider. What is the general value of your car right now? Would you make some money selling it or not?

Can you afford the payments of a new car in the long run, or do you have a down payment for one?

You could perhaps buy a used car that has 1-2 years being a "demo car" so that it has lost most of it's value already and don't find yourself paying the big price. Usually you can get it at half price from the year's model if you can bargain correctly. The demo cars are usually well kept and maintained so you shouldn't run into too much issues.

Are you planning on keeping the car in the long run? If so, I'd suggest you to buy rather than rent.

I got a demo Mazda 3 2005 last year. It's not the newest model nor most luxurious car, but it works well, is safe and I will be able to use it for a while. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new car which I would have paid 175% more than I did for mine.

5 Ways To Help Your Car Last Longer...
5 Ways To Help Your Car Last Longer And Break Down Less

Archived