Should I quit?

glegend

I've been doing some thinking and I feel that I should quit my job. I believe that I have done my part there, and now it's time for me to leave and let someone else do there part.

Now before anyone jumps to conclusion about why I think I should quit you should all know that its not cause of the bathroom situation or anything else I may have complained about the store manager.

I've been there for over a year. I've met a bunch of cool people and have made a bunch of new friends. I've moved up the ladder and I've become an unofficial supervisor of my department. I enjoy working for my manager as she understands that school comes first and she really wants us to do well. My manager and supervisor both leave me in charge when they are not there. They tell the me and the rest of my coworkers GLegend is in charge, if anything happens talk to him about it and if there still is any problem to contact her

I have two reasons for wanting to quit.

One of my reasons is that that one of the managers really dislikes me. I feel that I am being discriminated on. I have done nothin wrong but everytime that he comes around I sways get in trouble. I am a licensed forklift operator, a licensed electric pump truck operator and a licensed scisor lift operator. I have spent my time and money to become licensed. The store has spent their time and money for me to do their licensing course. Every time he comes around and I am using one of these machines I always get some sort of lecture. My manager always tells me that I am licensed and that when the store did the licensing course she singed me up for two reasons. First reason being that I am licensed and that the store wants employees to be licensed with their course so the employee can use the machine. Second reason being that in my department we have a lot of heavy products and, some products that we have a lot of are stored high on shelves that could be 20 feet high and its hard to go up with a lader, and some things such as soil come on skids and need to be unloaded off trucks. My manager tells me that I have the right to participate an to brush him off. But everytime he comes around its always like get that machine out of here I don't want to see you using it again. On Sunday he kept his eye on me. On thursday I sold a snowblower, 1200 dollar machine. When I went in on Friday someone removed the delivery sticker from the machine. I brougt it to my managers attention and on saturday my manager started to take care of it but my manager got busy with a customer and forgot about it. My manager told my co worker to build all the snowblowers so people can see them. I told my co worker to keep one in the box just in case it wasn't deliverd. Well he went and told that manager and he came and told me to take it to the back and just let my manager know in the morning. Well Sunday morning came and I was dead tired. I went to go help my dad with this job and we came home at 4 in the morning. He comes up to in the morning and asks me about the snowblower and I told him that I forgot to let her know that its in the back, that it must of slipped my mind. And he's lifts his one eye brow at me, like the Rock did in wrestling, and he goes to me how can a 1200 snowblower slip your mind. Well excuse me if I don't care that much about the store and sales and crap like that. In all honesty I was tired and half a sleep at that time. Latter that day my co worker and I got in trouble for fixing the snow shovels and just cause we were sold out of one snow shovel and put a different one in that spot. We did not get a chance to remove the label and a customer saw it and threw a temper tantrum at us, Cause law is that if a item is advertised for one price and it scans as another then you get it for the price its advertised for as long as it matches the description. So we got into trouble for that. The difference was only 12 bucks. I don't know why he should be upset for loosing 12 bucks in a sale, like its not his money, he just gets paid regardless. Then Sunday night we had to get rid of some empty skids cause they had snow salt on them. So I did that and once we remove them we replace them. Well he didn't like that and another co worker of ours started complaining to him about it and again we got in trouble. Personally I feel that for some reason I am being discriminated on for reasons unknown. I have done nothing wrong to him or others there.

Second reason that I want to quit is so that I can help my dad with work. He has so many projects going on at the same time that he can't sleep, literally cannot sleep. My mom chooses to still stay home and not work. She still chooses not to look for work. Blames it on me that I am magically doing something to the computer everytime she wants to use it. Well right now she caugt pneumonia.so since she is sick is explainable for her be home, but she wasn't sick last week. So what I was thinking is that I just give my manager my 2 week notice, and then stop working and just work with my dad so we can finish these jobs and maybe he can get some sleep one night. Like its gotten to the point where he gets up in the morning and his pj's are wet from sweeting. So I think this is a good and valid point. I feel that I am not being selfish at all since I am only looking out for my dad.

So what do you fellas think? Should I stay there until my field placement in may or just leave in 2 weeks and just help my dad out with work.

Just to add. I know there are some spelling and gramatical errors. I typed this on my blackberry pearl, as I am not home right now. So when I go home I will correct them.

Your reasons for wanting to quit are unfounded.

You may not care, because you get paid anyways, but the manager is certainly going to care about 12$ because every mistake that you make threatens his job. His job is to keep the store running properly, and make profit. It sounds like you're not doing your job to it's fullest, you're not going to get grade A treatment unless you're a grade A employee.

Your reasons for wanting to quit are unfounded.

You may not care, because you get paid anyways, but the manager is certainly going to care about 12$ because every mistake that you make threatens his job. His job is to keep the store running properly, and make profit. It sounds like you're not doing your job to it's fullest, you're not going to get grade A treatment unless you're a grade A employee.

How am I not doing my job to the fullest? And wht are my reasons unfounded? I feel that quiting to help my dad out on the job is a valid reason. My dad is the renovation business, and as we all know its hard to do eveything yourself. A second set of hands helps a lot in the run. If I quit and go to work with him, that means that more work can be done. For example, while one put the drywall up the other screws it in place and by the time one sheet of drywall is fully screwed the other puts the next sheet up.

It sounds like you're not doing your job to it's fullest, you're not going to get grade A treatment unless you're a grade A employee.

I don't know what planet you are from but you expect people to be fair and treat their employees properly when they are working a McJob?

Sorry but the use of the word discrimination seems unfounded. Nothing you explained here even comes close to that situation.

If you don't want to work there, then follow your heart and leave. But don't put blame on others for your performance or their expectations.

Sorry but the use of the word discrimination seems unfounded. Nothing you explained here even comes close to that situation.

If you don't want to work there, then follow your heart and leave. But don't put blame on others for your performance or their expectations.

Discrimination is towards or against a person or group is the prejudicial treatment of them based on certain characteristics.

My characteristics being that I can operate all that equipment that his employees cant. I am one of two greek employees in the store. The way I dress. My knowledge towards alot of products in the store, etc.

Wherever you go you are very likely to have people that you don't get along with at work.. managers especilly. From my perspective, it's good that you only have 1 manager that doesn't seem to like you. You could do a lot worse.

I'd base it on the finances. Assuming your dad is going to pay you for your work, and it is at least comparable with your present job, then why not? You move from a stocking and selling position to practiving a trade... sounds like a good deal. If you aren't going to be paid and are just doing it to help your dad out, then it might not be such a good decision... you may just try cutting back on some hours at your present job to lend a hand instead.

I can't cut back hours. I work in the seasonal department and christmas is right around the corner. So its basically I stick with it or leave. I've been helping out my dad since I was like 12 so for me its second nature. In all honesty, I don't care to get any pay from him cause I know what he will do is pay for my gas, insurance and anything else I need. I just want to see him get a break. Plus its only going to be for one semster and a half then my field placement comes into pay and I get the big bucks again.

So, your field placement has nothing to do with your current job? If that's the case, it really sounds like you are trying to make the argument for working with your dad. So, what's holding you up? I'm hearing only positives about working for your dad and only negatives for keeping your current job.

You sound like a good son. Your father must be very proud of raising a son who puts his dad first. If helping your dad out is what you want to do, then by all means, do it! The store can hire someone else, but you are all your dad has, you are not replaceable to him. I like your attitude in this situation. Most jobs do have managers who play favorites, that's not uncommon. If that was the only reason you were quitting, I'd say, "Don't do it." But helping you dad is reason enough.

I would be wary of quitting a job, especially in this job climate, if you are not sure you have something lined up. Can you do without the money? Are you really sure you will get your placement soon?

It's admirable that you want to help your dad, but I think it would be good to check that you quitting would be the most helpful. (Maybe your family needs the extra income you get from your job?)

I also agree with blue that you need to be clear with yourself that you are not being discriminated against - what you described sounds like the normal annoyances of the workplace. If you want to quit because of your father, that's fine, but be wary of adopting this discriminated/I was unfairly treated attitude. I think it could be detrimental in the future.

You hate your job - you've complained about it on several occasions - so I'd say go ahead and quit. Just make sure that you are willing to do without the extra income. Sure your dad will cover your basic expenses but how willing is he going to be to provide "fun money" (going out, "toys", etc). Maybe you could look into getting a little something extra on the side and make your primary focus working with your dad. On the whole I think you need to leave your current job, it seems to be making you miserable.

So, your field placement has nothing to do with your current job? If that's the case, it really sounds like you are trying to make the argument for working with your dad. So, what's holding you up? I'm hearing only positives about working for your dad and only negatives for keeping your current job.

Field placement has nothing to do with my current job. My job and what I study are two differnt things. The closest thing I get to my job being related to my profession is lawn mowers and snowblowers. The small engines.

I can give you some pros with my job and cons with working with my dad.

Con's with dad: I'm with dad all the time, I can curse, I can't joke around in certain ways, I can't check out any girls at stores nor hit on them, we don't get paid until the job is finished.

Pro's with my work: In my department we are pretty much all the same age, we curse, joke around, check out the girls, talk to some of them, talk about video games, cars, life, girls, everything, I have a very good manager that is very flexible with the schedule and knows that school comes first, I know there is a pay cheque being deposited every 2 weeks into my bank account.

You sound like a good son. Your father must be very proud of raising a son who puts his dad first. If helping your dad out is what you want to do, then by all means, do it! The store can hire someone else, but you are all your dad has, you are not replaceable to him. I like your attitude in this situation. Most jobs do have managers who play favorites, that's not uncommon. If that was the only reason you were quitting, I'd say, "Don't do it." But helping you dad is reason enough.

I think its a good reason to quit, to help him out. I think I am good son and I hope he really is proud of me. I dont think he is but deep down I know he is and hope he is proud of me. I really think I want to help him out. I think it would be the best for both of us. Sure it might make me a bit anti social since I will just be working with him all the time but the trade off my might be worth it.

I think this case must be the favourite thing. Cause I'm the only one who he tells these things to. But I do think some of the managers at this store take too much pride in their job and they are forgetting that its not their store and they take things in such a personal way. Like the snowblower my coworker got in trouble for a few weeks back. I showed my coworker where they were located in the warehouse, but there were like 20 skids in front of them, and when a customer asked he said we didnt have any. The merchandising managet cused my coworker out for loosing a 1000 dollar sale. If I was there I would of said "Hello its not you who is loosing out on the sale its the owner so what do you care about".

I would be wary of quitting a job, especially in this job climate, if you are not sure you have something lined up. Can you do without the money? Are you really sure you will get your placement soon?

I have enough money saved up to last me a while. So I can do without the money. I don't have enough money to move out, but I have money to pay my phone bill, insurance, gas and some other little things. And knowing that my dad would take care of some of my expenses I can do without the money. I know that I am getting my placement soon. Its part of the school ciriculum.

You hate your job - you've complained about it on several occasions - so I'd say go ahead and quit. Just make sure that you are willing to do without the extra income. Sure your dad will cover your basic expenses but how willing is he going to be to provide "fun money" (going out, "toys", etc). Maybe you could look into getting a little something extra on the side and make your primary focus working with your dad. On the whole I think you need to leave your current job, it seems to be making you miserable.

I complain about it, your right about that. I hate it and love it at the same time. I only love my department and hate the rest. You are 100 % right, it is making me miserable. I admit it. We are all miserable working there. There so much nonsense taking place that you dont hear about at other places. Heck even my manager is looking for a new job for the same reasons that I complain about.

Archived