How long would you wait?

DollFaceLove
2021 Wedding Trends What to Expect...
2021 Wedding Trends What to Expect if You’re Tying the Knot Next Year

I would say minimum of a year of dating before getting engaged, then however long it takes to plan the wedding so another 4 or 6 months. But that is if both people are ready & certain they want to get married.

If a couple has been together 3 or 5 years but they don't feel the marriage is right or they aren't ready for it, they shouldn't do it. There is no limit on how long it takes to get married. I just think people definitely shouldn't do it if they've been together less than a year because it takes a while to get to know someone. You need to know what you have after the excitement of a new relationship wears off.

Why do you ask?

I would give it max. 3 yrs but no more than that, don't wanna waste my youth on only emotions and feelings but no stability. I see no point of dating 3 plus more yrs. and no marriage planning/proposal. We did talked about it on several occasion, it was say that when he comes on Dec. 2009 to my home country, then we get marry. Obviously if he were to only come to visit me, not do what he promised and wanted to get laid, he would be heading back to the airport before opening his mouth again, I'm not a yo-yo to be string along with.

why..........?

That's me, I want stability after 3 yrs., plus I don't like the idea of dating 4-8 more years (by then I'll be 25-30) only to get later dump like it was I was yesterday's newspaper, I'm not a garbage disposal you can easily get rid of, I'm a person with feelings. And well I wanna get marry before I get to my late 20's. Hell if he doesn't come to marry me like he say he would, his behind is heading back to the airport.

Then let's say ok, I were to spend 6 yrs., later gets dumped, then start again, spend 4 yrs. and get dumped, see my point. I wasted my youth on that because I would no longer be in my early 20's but already 30+ yrs. old.

That's me, I want stability after 3 yrs., plus I don't like the idea of dating 4-8 more years (by then I'll be 25-30) only to get later dump like it was I was yesterday's newspaper, I'm not a garbage disposal you can easily get rid of, I'm a person with feelings. And well I wanna get marry before I get to my late 20's. Hell if he doesn't come to marry me like he say he would, his behind is heading back to the airport.

Then let's say ok, I were to spend 6 yrs., later gets dumped, then start again, spend 4 yrs. and get dumped, see my point. I wasted my youth on that because I would no longer be in my early 20's but already 30+ yrs. old.

Why in such a hurry to get married? That puts you in a position to possibly marry someone that isn't right for you just for the sake of getting married.

Why in such a hurry to get married? That puts you in a position to possibly marry someone that isn't right for you just for the sake of getting married.

I'm not saying that you gotta marry after 2 yrs. or so but I'm serious when it comes to future plans and not being string down like a yo-yo. Though you can wait more if you desire but definitely not 8+ yrs. Why is he not right for me? Also it's not for the pure reason of me jumping into it right away but because of love plus he made it clearly that's the reason he was coming to my country.

We'll probably have been together for about 5 years before getting engaged. It seems like a long time to me, but that's what happens when you meet someone when you're so young. It doesn't really matter though, because we're basically married without the party. A deeper sense of commitment and a deeper sense of being a family, plus changing my name and wearing a pretty ring will be the only real changes.

Well, the way things are laying out..it'll probably be within the next year for an engagement and that puts us around 5 years of being together.

I think its wiser to put time in BEFORE, then put the time in AFTER and then realize there's issues and problems. Do the work first, not after. That's my opinion.

That's a really good point, asti. That's what my bf and I are doing. Smoothing out the bumps, learning the best ways to communicate and treat each other, so we can take these lessons and use them for a happy marriage. If we'd have jumped into marriage like we originally wanted to, we'd probably be over already.

Archived