Too little experience to commit to a long time relationship?

Minuit
5 Red Flags In Relationships
5 Red Flags In Relationships

I have been dating with my boyfriend now for some months. We both agree we like each other very much and there is no reason for breaking up (so we would like to continue dating for so long as possible). The problem is that he is my first boyfriend and I do feel attraction to other boys. I would like to experience a lot more before committing to a possibly really long time relationship. We have talked about even about doing couple swinging sometime in the future but it's not enough for me. I would like to experience relationships with even few more boys before committing to a long time relationship. I know it's not possible but I don't want to break up because I like my boyfriend so much that I can even imagine living with him the rest of my life (and that's a lot cos I'm a pessimist).

So what to do? I feel really guilty even thinking of doing something with another boy because I know it would hurt my boyfriend if I do it what I'm thinking. Still it doesn't make the want to experience things less. I want to experience relationships with others but not hurt my boyfriend.

And btw I'm 18 year old girl and he's 20 (and he has dated with other girls before me).

If you're wondering "What if" and feel the need to do this, do it.

Me personally, I am quite fine only ever being in one relationship, I have what I want and don't need to experience anyone else to be content for the rest of my life.

If you're feeling this way, its not going to go away. And the longer you drag on this relationship, the harder its going to be.

You just have to decide if you're willing to lose your relatiosnhip to explore other relationships. You can't have both, make a choice to be single and date around and be in another relationships, or remain in the one you are in. But realize that you may lose this relationship and this guy. Not many people will be content allowing their partner to date around for a year or two, and then take them back, becuase you can't expect him to just sit and wait, and if you're not committed to this relationship long term until you get more epxerience, then its time to walk away.

You won't be happy long term if you feel this need and don't do it. But just realize what you're losing and if to you thats worth it.

He's going to get hurt either way you look at it. If you remain now, you're going to be unhappy and unable to fully commit in the long run because you feel unfulfilled and wondering about other guys, thats not right or fair. But doing what you need to do now will probably give you a greater success if you two meet up in the long run.

Archived