HIV fears

mdp0858

I am new...stumbled accross this site while researching. I am terrified right now. I have never been tested for HIV before, and I am sexually active. 10 days ago, I participated in a blood drive. My boyfriend also gave blood that day. I've never given blood before but thought I should try. I guess one never knows if they have HIV, but I didn't really have any specific reason to think I did. I have had unprotected sex, so there is always the chance.

My boyfriend received a letter in the mail 4 days after giving blood giving him his blood type, etc. I still haven't gotten a letter.......

I guess surely there could be other reasons my letter is delayed??? Or maybe not. Of course I am worrying that I have HIV, that they are testing it further, and that I'm going to get a call that I'm not okay. It's been a horrible 10 days, well, 6 since I saw his letter, of me stressing out. I can't even eat normally, and I cry and cry. I hope I'm getting myself worked up over nothing, but why else would I have not received my letter yet??? If I hadn't seen that he got a letter, I wouldn't have even been worried now. I don't want to tell him that I'm worried, and I have friends, but I wouldn't want them to know it's a possibility yet. So I'm here. I'm a wreck.

welcome to enotalone. i agree with hersmudders - this could be as simple as a delay in mailing/shipping etc.... if you aren't an IV drug user, if you haven't dated IV drug users, and you've had heterosexual partners, your chances of getting HIV are lowered. have you engaged in some high risk behaviors? i wouldn't panic just yet. if they haven't mailed you the letter in a week, maybe call them up and see where it is? or, you can also schedule a doctor's appointment.

Thank you so much for replying so fast! I'm a stressed out mess.

I think I'm immobilized with fear right now, meaning I'm so fearful that I don't want to be proactive. It's like I'd rather hide and wait for a call or obsessively check my mail than to call and find out that my fears are true. I guess that doesn't get anyone anywhere.

But hearing that you didn't get a letter for 2 months is kind of reassuring. I wonder if since I'm a new donor if it's taking longer?? My boyfriend has donated many times with them. Maybe I'll get the guts to call....

You can't calm down if you are constantly in fear. Take a step back, calm down, tell yourself you are probably ok, and make the call. Do it for your peace of mind.

Do you often have hypochondriatic (if that's a word?) thoughts?

Archived