How many breakups have you had with one person?

awakeintx

What is the most amount of break ups you have had with one person?

Please do not criticize me for this too much, but in my current situation I have broke up with my girlfriend 3 times (her idea), 2 of which were for more than 48 hours. I am pretty much at my end though. She is very very unsure of what she wants, very emotional, and honestly I think she could make use of seeing a therapist to work out some issues. But I still love her.

I don't know if it is worth it anymore.

Keep trying to love her and make it work? Or suffer the pain and loneliness of permanent separation. Obviously it is not just my decision, to make things work or not, but I am just looking for some advice.

My GF for almost 2 months now already planned to break up with me twice (same reasons as yours), 1st on our 3rd day, 2nd is just last friday though I'm still being able to change her mind co'z I don't want to lose her... I really love her very much...

We'll be having our X-Mas break in college, it will be 2 weeks long, I think I'll give her the time and space she needed during that time, I think it's enough time for her...

How long have you guys been together (not counting the break ups?)

I broke up about four times with my ex boyfriend, the fourth being the last. (Some times I was the dumper, sometimes the dumpee, sometimes it was mutual.) They lasted anywhere from one week to three months.

In the end it wasn't worth it. The same problems kept happening over and over again. Trying so many times just prolonged the healing period in the long run. I'd be over him by now if I'd stayed broken up with him two years ago like I should have.

Hey there ... I'm on I think officially my fourth break up with the same person - and I aim for this to be my last break-up.

One thing I want you to realise that isn't a true fact in what you've said above - it isn't loneliness in a permanent separation - you WILL meet someone else but should try not to feel lonely with yourself - if that makes sense. I'm quite sure now that loneliness is not a good reason to get back with someone.

I do also believe in what's meant to be will be - but how many break-ups are you meant to withstand? I know I withstood too many (I posted my very long story on here today). I think each one (in my opinion) deepens the crevasse between you - I think you lose more and more trust and faith in the other person ("is this time for keeps?") and I guess a break-up is called that because it's broken.

Oddly, my Mum always said to me "never go back" as a child - and in every other circumstance I've followed that advice - other than with this r/ship. It doesn't help that she's also in the same cycle of on/off abusive r/ship now (with a woman) and no amount of advice seems to help - she's now in the position where she's chosen this woman over everyone else and we can all see her heading for a huge fall but no longer are willing to pick up the pieces. I don't want to follow that example.

My tuppence worth - not sure if any of it helps mind

Good luck you. x

Oh Abbygail has totally hit the nail on the head - I wholeheartedly agree with what she's said above. Nothing was ever "fixed" when we got back together and now the healing process is much longer than I ever would have hoped for. I should have finally called a halt to it two years ago.

Roughly the number of times my ex and his previous ex have broken up and gotten back together, I think. They're back together again, but...I'm wondering if they'll be adding another digit onto that number shortly.

I agree with the poster who suggested that breaking up repeatedly weakens the relationship. I'd have to wonder, if I was in that situation, when he was going to break up with me again, whether it would be permanent, etc. It would seemt to be a very shaky existence -- I don't think I could take it.

Roughly the number of times my ex and his previous ex have broken up and gotten back together, I think. They're back together again, but...I'm wondering if they'll be adding another digit onto that number shortly.

I agree with the poster who suggested that breaking up repeatedly weakens the relationship. I'd have to wonder, if I was in that situation, when he was going to break up with me again, whether it would be permanent, etc. It would seemt to be a very shaky existence -- I don't think I could take it.

Well yes, it is childish. And I would never put up with it again..

Thanks for all the replies

I agree with the idea of what is broken most likely can not be fixed.

Well what ever happens happens I suppose. If she was not so emotional I would never got back with her the other times. All of the reasons to break up were never serious though so I was willing to try again in the past.

It hurts to say this but I fear it is over for good now. She is one of those people who you wonder if they will ever find someone they are completely satisfied with.

You can only show someone so much love, and if they can not show unconditional love back to you there is probably no hope I will have to accept that and suffer through the recovery process.

But you are probably someone who will find someone who you are completely satisfied with and deserve that rather than waiting around on the offchance that someone else will one day "wake up and smell the coffee".

We're here for you thru the recovery process - either way, you'll come out the winner xx

I am with someone now that I got back together with. I think sometimes things can be fixed. But we had a lot of time apart (3 years to be exact), dating others, growing as individuals. We simply aren't the same people we were back then. I used to think that I would never get back together with him, but it happened and things are really good. I think it really depends on the two people involved and if they are willing to change and do things differently and if the reasons for the original breakup(s) are resolved.

4-5 times, I THINK.

They have lasted anywhere from 2-3 months to a couple of weeks. Never have we broken up for "just a day" or less.

However, a few times, he literally just stopped talking to me... this time, we have not spoken for 2 months.

It gets confusing & in the long run, you beat yourself up because you KNOW you should've ended things when you had the power.

Now I'm hurting for the millionth time... ](*,)

" First chances are given. Second chances are earned. Third chances don't exist"

I follow that rule. I dated a women for 7 years, and during that time we split once. We got back together without sorting anything out, but in love, and needless to say we split permanently a few months later.

the women I'm pursuing now, is an ex. This would be my real second chance with her, and I've been turning myself inside out to work out the issues that broke us up in the first place. That can be read here. I'm of the belief that this is the only chance I need.

I've never broken up with someone more than once. I just don't see the point. Maybe I'd be open to a second chance with someone if we really did have something great, but in general I think there are just too many people in the world to keep going back to the same one that it already didn't work with. I'll never understand these couples who break up on a seemingly weekly basis and are always back together within 24 hours. I'd think that once you've broken up and gotten back together so many times, the whole concept of "breaking up" would lose its meaning. At that point, it's not a relationship. It's an addiction to drama.

two too many... he walked on 2 weeks ago... but the first time was in June... but I wasn't strong enough then... ripped my gut into shreds for 4 weeks until we got back on track... but also had a $$$ trip coming up that we agreed to go on... which was great, and brought us back together... so I thought.

there will be no 3rd break-up... because there will be no 3rd chance.

I broke up with him too many times to count. I just knew in my gut I couldn't trust him, but I had scant evidence to that effect. Then he'd grovel or figure out some convoluted excuse, and I'd take him back.

Well, I finally got the evidence that he'd been cheating on me with his ex back in March. Then the ex confirmed it. So...that's the last break-up for me! I don't need any more heartbreak with this guy.

Archived