Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

want to travel and see the world (as much as I can)... how to prepare?

LAYAAN

Hello all,

my bkg - raised in India, currently in the US for school, 30, F, not married/relationship, no kids, no other responsibility, have saved some money and want to use a good portion of it for travelling.

my Q - I really want to travel and see as many parts of the world as I can (Presently, I'm thinking, Europe, Africa, and south America). I've seen 90% of my country and I really cherish that experience. But my Q is where to start? how to start? is it possible to visit so many countries without getting into debt? Can someone guide me? any websites? any books? How much money will be sufficient?

I'm not looking to stay into fancy hotels. I can carry a rice cooker with me and eat rice n lentil soup and save money during travel. I would be wrapping up my PhD in 1-2 years. I'll save some more money and after that for a year I just want to take a break, travel, learn some foreign languages (Spanish, Japanese, Arabic. I know 3 Indian languages) and enrich my life.

Thank you for your input.

look into countries you can get a tavel/ work visa for, then you can travel and work and not go into debt. Many volunteer progams you have to pay for on top of your travel, so they can get quite expensive, so i think the best bet is to get a work visa. I've done it in quite a few countries.

I don't know how common staying in convents is anymore... I think it used to be a cheap thing to do, but is now quite costly... or 'trendy' so not cheap.

look into countries you can get a tavel/ work visa for, then you can travel and work and not go into debt. Many volunteer progams you have to pay for on top of your travel, so they can get quite expensive, so i think the best bet is to get a work visa. I've done it in quite a few countries.

I don't know how common staying in convents is anymore... I think it used to be a cheap thing to do, but is now quite costly... or 'trendy' so not cheap.

Shikashika, I see what you are saying but I'm not sure if going to different countries for work would be possible for me. If you don't mind sharing, what field are you in?

Shikashika, I see what you are saying but I'm not sure if going to different countries for work would be possible for me. If you don't mind sharing, what field are you in?

It doesn't matter what field you are in. I have only a couple of times actually worked in my field when i worked overseas.

I've taught overseas, other jobs i've done overseas have been in hotel, retail, IT, office management, temping, labour, government work, worked at a univesity.. all sorts of things. Some jobs all I required was a pulse!! ha ha!

For example, many different countries can get a working holiday for New Zealand.. you just apply online and you get your visa delivered to you in your email. Then you show up in the country and look for a job. It may not be a job in your field, but you will be able to work, save money and see the country, meet people etc. If you just travel, you need to save up for all your costs, whereas if you go on a working visa you can work and travel and extend your stay. unless you save up a lot of money, you can't usually jsut travel for 8 months, but if you work here and there you can.

it all depends on where you travel.. in some countries I've paid $40 for a hostel where as others i've paid $1.40 for a beautiful big room, with a deck and home made breakfast.

Archived