Hows the University folk doing?

girl friend
5 Tips For Entering The Job Market ...
5 Tips For Entering The Job Market After University

Hey guys!

Its big bad 3rd year girl friend here!

Just wondering how all my fellow university folks are doing.

How are you finding the courses - what you expected?

Those of you who are leaving soon -any plans?

Is anyone else finding the future scary, confusing and conflicted??!?!

Are we happy ? thats the main thing right.

Hit back,

Love lots,

girl friend xx

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You didn't answer any of your own questions

Personally, I'm second year Biochem, and aside from a little breakdown (the whole "this is too hard, what am I doing here, I'm gonna fail everything" type of thing) mid-semester, things've been great.

Courses are hard (for the most part. Genetics is a joke), but I'm getting through them, bringing up marks in everything, and who knows, if I do well on my finals, maybe make the Dean's List (I hope there's no ceremony for that or anything, 'cause I really don't wanna go). Although, come to think of it, if anythings gonna keep me off that list, its my biochem course (ironic how I always do worst in courses most directly related to my major..)

People around me are starting to drop a whole bunch of courses, but I'm managing to stick it out in all of mine, so thats a good thing, right?

And as for the future, I tend not to think about it. It can't get me as long as I'm in my safe little University bubble.

What do you want to know?

yeah i know all about the little bubble--i'm craving being out of it tbh. But i know once your out you never get to return to that part of your life, as a 21 year old!!! Trying to live in the moment i guess. Miss home like crazy now that its stressful times!

Christmas soon! woot.

Hey!

Its not worthless.. you've just gotta remember why we're there. Living the dream remember¬! all the things that led up to these moments of your life. and hang in there!

Where/what you studying?

i'm in my third year and still clueless about what i want to do. not good!

i understand that!

I think its good when people haven't got it all worked out though!

I mean, its been often said that we'll end up doing completely different things to what we plan on right now.

And also "you must be willing to let go of the life you planned, as to have the life thats waiting for you."

So just go with the flow. sometimes the best opportunities come up soon after graduation,and the people who have planned ahead a year ago can't take them then!

i understand that!

I think its good when people haven't got it all worked out though!

I mean, its been often said that we'll end up doing completely different things to what we plan on right now.

And also "you must be willing to let go of the life you planned, as to have the life thats waiting for you."

So just go with the flow. sometimes the best opportunities come up soon after graduation,and the people who have planned ahead a year ago can't take them then!

i hope that's true.

i'm debating between a couple of things right now, but i change my mind every other month. grrr

oh yeh? whats the options?

youre going to be sorry you asked! lol..

well i've always been a naturally good writer (you'd never know by the way i write here, though, haha.) and i've always gotten awards for it in school, etc. everyone is telling me to pursue a career in writing. but it's just so hard to get anywhere you want to be with writing, and i don't want to be a starving artist! i thought maybe being an english teacher and writing on the side would be a good job, until i realized that english bores the heck out of me and that i don't want to be a teacher.

then there's psychology, which i could study all day. i have dozens of psychology related books on my shelf. but do i want to be a therapist? i'd love to study it and maybe become a professor someday but, i don't know if i could go through that much schooling.

then there's philosophy, same as above.

and ancient history. ditto.

so i'm back to square one!

i'm... also 2nd yr biochem lol. i dropped one course this semester, blah. i actually was thinking of taking a semester off but now i can't because if i do... i'll lose my scholarship. and i can't afford to lose this scholarship.

luckily, i got my drive back. one of my roommates is a bio grad student & she told me about all the research that she does... and it made me remember exactly why i even got into science to begin with. i'm really excited for next semester. i'll be taking harder (and less mundane) classes. i hate classes that don't challenge me and that's how it's been this semester. everything is just BLAH. having no lab aside from the crappy biochem one really drained me out too. i can't wait to play w/ stinky chemicals in orgo labs. wee!

i'm... also 2nd yr biochem lol. i dropped one course this semester, blah. i actually was thinking of taking a semester off but now i can't because if i do... i'll lose my scholarship. and i can't afford to lose this scholarship.

luckily, i got my drive back. one of my roommates is a bio grad student & she told me about all the research that she does... and it made me remember exactly why i even got into science to begin with. i'm really excited for next semester. i'll be taking harder (and less mundane) classes. i hate classes that don't challenge me and that's how it's been this semester. everything is just BLAH. having no lab aside from the crappy biochem one really drained me out too. i can't wait to play w/ stinky chemicals in orgo labs. wee!

In my school, there are no 2nd year Biochem. It's nice that some school prepares you for it rather than have you take a bunch of useless misc courses for 1st and 2nd year.

then there's psychology, which i could study all day. i have dozens of psychology related books on my shelf.

Same

I wasted all my money on Psyc book and have around 300 psy books ATM. A combination of self-help/success/psyc.

What do you read?

In my school, there are no 2nd year Biochem. It's nice that some school prepares you for it rather than have you take a bunch of useless misc courses for 1st and 2nd year.

well in my first year, i took what most science majors do, aside from math and physics... but i still got to call myself 1st yr biochem lol. come to think about it. i think all my courses are taken by other science majors too, except for maybe phys chem...

Well I figured Id throw in my two cents.

Im a third year student, Im still liking my major and find it interesting but I just dont have the motivation to do well in those courses (Have 2 Bs, a C, and 2 Ds). Also, this semester is falling apart. Moreso then past semesters, but good ole me never lets it get to him and am trucking along.

Well I figured Id throw in my two cents.

Im a third year student, Im still liking my major and find it interesting but I just dont have the motivation to do well in those courses (Have 2 Bs, a C, and 2 Ds). Also, this semester is falling apart. Moreso then past semesters, but good ole me never lets it get to him and am trucking along.

I admire you guys who are progressing in post secondary at such young age.

Remind me - whats your major?

lol

Also i'd go with psychology - obviously!

Aww i'm exactly the same!

I love the David Pelzer books, (and Richard Pelzer's 25cents)

Anything by Torey Hayden

real-life books, you know the ones with the white covers,

about a child growing up with autism or adhd, or memoirs of an abused childhood written by adults,

like Angelas Ashes,

or Street Kid.

well in my first year, i took what most science majors do, aside from math and physics... but i still got to call myself 1st yr biochem lol. come to think about it. i think all my courses are taken by other science majors too, except for maybe phys chem...

There are quite a few people in physchem who are in other majors though, aren't there?

Wait, we're getting back into this creepy we-go-to-the-same-school thing. I'm outta this thread.

Same

I wasted all my money on Psyc book and have around 300 psy books ATM. A combination of self-help/success/psyc.

What do you read?

i read random ones, so random, lol.

i have a bunch of diaries of people who had mental disorders. i have one on OCD, one on schizofrenia, and one on autism.

i have a few that give you psychological tests and tell you how/why they work.

then i have the general informative books... a few on mental disorders, one that's just a general psychology book, one on multiple personality disorder which i find fascinating.

can't remember titles off the top of my head except for the quiet room.

Hey!

Its not worthless.. you've just gotta remember why we're there. Living the dream remember¬! all the things that led up to these moments of your life. and hang in there!

Where/what you studying?

Studying scriptwriting at Bournemouth Uni... I'm more interested in journalism though (sport reviews, film reviews). I'm not sure. I guess I like writing but I just feel this is a huge waste of money. Nothing we couldn't have learnt from a few text books. We never get any lectures. It's made me lazy and unmotivated - I used to write more in my spare time when I had a fulltime job.

Remind me - whats your major?

lol

Anything by Torey Hayden

about a child growing up with autism or adhd, or memoirs of an abused childhood written by adults,

like Angelas Ashes,

or Street Kid.

inter-disciplinary studies for now. taking the core classes that all majors need (2 englishs, 3 maths, electives, etc.) plus a few of each of the majors i'd like to pursue so that HOPEFULLY by next year i might have a CLUE! doesn't seem like it yet, though.

Anything by Torey Hayden

like Angelas Ashes,

or Street Kid.

i'd go for psychology also cause that's where i belong, but it's a discipline that I would read up on regardless so in my 2nd year, i decided not to take Psyc and went to the health science route... lets just say it's hectic now since I'm not naturally good at science. I'd probably get a good mark by just sitting in on a psyc course and not do any study. But now, it's... overwhelming for an artsy to be in science.

Those books are categorized in abnormal psychology. Those are some books i decided not to read so much on since it's a bit depressing and not relate-able to majority of people. Personally, I focus mainly on 3 things in psyc: traps, self-growth, and focal point. I like to read up on other people's perspective on things, just not abnormal psychology. But I can see how interesting it is.

i read random ones, so random, lol.

i have a bunch of diaries of people who had mental disorders. i have one on OCD, one on schizofrenia, and one on autism.

i have a few that give you psychological tests and tell you how/why they work.

then i have the general informative books... a few on mental disorders, one that's just a general psychology book, one on multiple personality disorder which i find fascinating.

can't remember titles off the top of my head except for the quiet room.

I sat in on one of the personality psy course this term cause I was extremely influenced by MBTI. Psyc Test really let me structure my mind from chaos to order. I felt much more in control of my life as I explore further and further into the principles. I have around 30 books on it right now ordered thru CAPT and occasionally pick a few to read up on.

Another category I also explore aside from success/psyc/self-help is spirituality. In this category, it seems like people are stealing ideas off one another, and as I explore further and further up to the high profile authors, it tends to lead me to Buddhism. There seem to be a trend where western spirituality books would steal ideas from Buddhism.

A few of my recommendations that I felt changed my behaviors / way of thinking are:

Think & Grow Rich

Executive Charisma

Flow

The Direct-Mind Experience

Brain Rules

I'm a fourth year non-senior.

After changing my major 900 times, I think I finally figured out what I want to do. This summer, I got sick of the unknown and went in for some very in-depth career testing. I took 6 or 7 tests, they all came back to "Social Worker". So, I decided to take a class and it turns out it comes VERY easily to me and I LOVE it.

It's funny though. You'd think I would've figured this out earlier. My dad is an MSW and my ex is also. I guess I've just been really immersed in it my whole life so that contributes to how it comes easily.

So, this semester I've taken Social Work, Social Welfare and Social Policy... Math... Environmental biology and 2D Design.

This is also, coincidentally, the first semester where I've done WELL. Nothing below a B

After changing my major 900 times, I think I finally figured out what I want to do. This summer, I got sick of the unknown and went in for some very in-depth career testing. I took 6 or 7 tests, they all came back to "Social Worker". So, I decided to take a class and it turns out it comes VERY easily to me and I LOVE it.

It's funny though. You'd think I would've figured this out earlier. My dad is an MSW and my ex is also. I guess I've just been really immersed in it my whole life so that contributes to how it comes easily.

So, this semester I've taken Social Work, Social Welfare and Social Policy... Math... Environmental biology and 2D Design.

This is also, coincidentally, the first semester where I've done WELL. Nothing below a B

how do you like the classes you are taking?

i'm strongly considering this as a career as well. maybe one day become a psychologist. i'm torn!

where did you take those tests?

There are quite a few people in physchem who are in other majors though, aren't there?

Wait, we're getting back into this creepy we-go-to-the-same-school thing. I'm outta this thread.

omg lol sorry. i didn't even think about this when i posted. it's not very awkward for me, i'm getting used to the idea since there were a few people from guelph IM'ed me on ENA (strange.. haha). i don't mind if you know who i am. i still don't know who you are, if that makes you feel better.

where did you take these tests?

Archived