Latin poetry applied to picking up women

Imprecision

An innovative method of pick-up:

1. Memorise some lines from Horace.

2. Print out the lines onto a few sheets of paper.

3. When you see a girl waiting in line or at the bus-stop, say, "Hey, I have to recite this Latin poem. Do you mind checking if my recitation is correct?"

4. Hand her the poem and begin to recite.

5. Transition to normal conversation.

Notes:

-Intended for when you two will be standing around waiting for a long time.

Personal notes:

-I don't actually use this for pick-up, even though I do this all the time (e.g. recite to random strangers). I'm actually interested in memorising Latin poetry. I find that by reciting to many different people, the poems stick in my memory better. However, other guys might use this for pick-up.

-Women love Latin poetry. Many personal anecdotes about this. They also love Latin proverbs.

-If anyone is interested in forming a Latin-proverb/poetry-memorisation study-group, please pm me. We'll have a lot of fun.

It's a good idea. I'm not sure how it would work in reality, though. I'm trying to picture myself standing in line somewhere, having a man initiate a conversation by reciting Latin poetry. I'd definitely be intrigued! But if I sensed it was just a seductive pick up tactic, I might be turned off. I think if you added humor in there, it might work.

ready2heal,

Thank you for your comment. It's interesting how you brought up Shakespeare - Shakespeare was, of course, heavily influenced by his Latin-grammar education. Elizabethan-era people consciously compared their country to ancient Rome.

But of course you know that already. If you're into Shakespeare, then we have a lot to talk about. (Which's your favourite play? And why?)

stella74,

It's a good idea. I'm not sure how it would work in reality, though. I'm trying to picture myself standing in line somewhere, having a man initiate a conversation by reciting Latin poetry. I'd definitely be intrigued! But if I sensed it was just a seductive pick up tactic, I might be turned off. I think if you added humor in there, it might work.

For instance, tonight, I was waiting for the bus. I spotted a girl nearby. I went up to her and asked, "Hey, there's this Latin poem I have to recite by heart. Can you check up on my recitation? Handing her the poem on paper. It's pronounced as it's written. Simple stuff."

She said yes, so I started reciting. It was a long poem. The bus came, and we got on. Then I continued reciting. When I was finished, I asked, "Have you ever heard Latin poetry before?" She replied, "It's a lot more like Italian than French." Then I said, "So you speak French?"

etc.

At first we made good conversation. Unfortunately, after a few minutes, I realised I'd talked with this girl before. In fact, we left on very bitter terms the last time we met (I made fun of her ignorance of existentialism; she felt I was an arrogant jack.ass and ordered me to leave). Around this time, she also realised that we met before.

Crazy coincidence.

Anyway, right now I'm focusing on school, work, and self-improvement, so I'm not trying to pick up girls too much. When I ask strange girls to check up on my recitations, I'm sincere - I actually want to improve my Latin recitations. I think if I memorise a few lines everyday, then in a few months, I will have a sizable repertoire of Latin poetry. I can then refer to it at various social occasions.

Plus, I'm seeing two girls right now anyway. I'm interested in this other girl in my class. I actually brought her to my house for a tea ceremony once. My mom wholeheartedly approves of her. She's really innocent - She's never had a boyfriend before, even though she's twenty. If things work out between her and me - I intend to be good to her.

(And no, none of these three girls has heard me recite Latin poetry.)

But how about you? Have you ever recited poetry to a guy before? Did that work out?

Imprecision, I didn't know that. What I know about Shakespeare I learned between the ages of 12 and 18 in school. We literally went line by line translating into modern english.

My favorite is the Merchant of Venice because it is the foiling of a diabolical plan and addresses the problem of greed by overexaggeration:

thereforee prepare thee to cut off the flesh.

Shed thou no blood, nor cut thou less nor more

But just a pound of flesh: if thou cut'st more

Or less than a just pound, be it but so much

As makes it light or heavy in the substance,

Or the division of the twentieth part

Of one poor scruple, nay, if the scale do turn

But in the estimation of a hair,

Thou diest and all thy goods are confiscate.

Great, r2h. I had to translate Shakespeare into modern English in high school too. I loved it.

I wish I had learned Latin in high school. Because of my love of France, I took French instead and only took 19th & 20th century poetry classes. I only had one class where we read anything older. I loved ancient Greek plays like Sophocles' Antigone. My teacher showed us a film of it and made it easy to learn that way.

I think it's great you're trying to learn to recite Latin poetry for yourself. I bet the girls you're dating, or the one you brought home, would love to hear you! How come you haven't tried it yet?

My ex would recite poetry to me when we first started dating and it was so romantic. I tried to recite to him but he was much better than me. He was an English teacher.

• 1 month later...

Archived