All I want to do is sleep...

anya85

I've noticed here lately that all I want to do is do to sleep... I work pretty long hours usually, about 11 hour shifts most days, 8am-7pm, but I've found that when I get home I don't really have any interest in doing anything but eating dinner and going to sleep. It's not that I'm particularly tired either, my body is just urging me to sleep. Like last night, I went to bed at 8:30pm and I slept until around 7am---plenty of sleep right? It still took me a decent amount of time to pull myself out of the bed. I felt exhausted even though I got a good 9-10 hours. So I worked a short shift and here I am at 2:30pm and I want to go back to bed!!! I hate doing that though because when I go to sleep right after getting home from work, I feel like I just work, go to sleep and work again like I have nothing to look forward too--like all my waking hours are spent at work and that's a miserable thought.

I am still recovering from a break up, so that keeps me in an odd state of mind, some times fine, other times quite upset--- but I don't don't see what that would have to do with sleeping. What is going on???

I am like that lately too. I know it is in part because of the weather. Its been getting colder and alot more rain lately. Its darker in the morning because its been raining so much so its hard to get out of bed.

When I go home after work (and I only work 7.5 hours a day) I just want to eat and then sleep! But I usually force myself to go to the gym and then I feel great.

Also, I find if I sleep too much then I am tired for the rest of the day. I don't like getting any more than 9 hours sleep. During the week I usually get 7-8 hours. Just search the web for oversleeping and you will find some hits about how when some people over sleep it leaves them sluggish and wanting more sleep.

Are you overweight? Do you snore?

I'm thinking about "Sleep Apnea". With Sleep Apnea, you drift off, your throat closes off, you stop breathing, you wake up, you breathe, you drift off again, and this cycle continues all night long. Because you keep waking up every few minutes, you never get much real sleep. And you don't remember doing this because you went right back to "sleep"

Reguardless of the suspected cause. I think a call to your Dr is in order.

Maybe it is the break-up that did something to you.. but at the same time, maybe it is work lol. I wouldn't know for sure, but I know that my bf has to get up at 5:30am every morning, drives about 50 miles to work and comes back at like 5pm ish, and he's tired as well. He doesn't really have time to do much but I know he gets tired often and goes to bed early. It could just be combination of both.

Wow. I'm going thru this too. And I'm in a pretty happy relationship.

But ever sinceI began working a month ago, I come home, go to the gym, eat dinner, see my bf and want to sleep by 10 or 11 pm till 7am. And even with 8-9 hrs sleep I wake up exausted.

And on weekends (like this past one) I slept quiet a bit. On sat+sun I slept about 20 hrs or so. I only work 8 hr shifts so I can imagne it's probably the amount of time you are working which is making u just want to rest

I think it is that you are getting too much sleep coupled with the fact that your body has got into a routine of basically being lazy, going to work, eating going to bed.

Its hard but you need ot kick start yourself out of this routine, so go for a walk or a run, put some music on and do some cleaning or head down to the gym. Then on the night before your day off, go out for a meal or to see a film or something so you distinguish between having early nights before you have to go to work and the odd treat of a late night where you say up a bit longer.

It will hard at first but give it a try. If you do these things for a few weeks and nothing has changed then maybe you want to get your thyroid chekced.

Getting out in what little sunshine we have in the winter will give you a boost, and will help you with the little bits of depression you get about the breakup.

Good luck and feel free to PM if you need someone to vent to when u feel down x

How is your diet?

When I was going through my break up the same thing happened to me and is kind of now. I believe it was a combination of the stress zapping my adrenal glands (check out adrenalin fatigue syndrome) and poor diet (I had not appetite and was eating very little). I was too tired to exercise, think, always in a foggy state - it was really only taking huge doses of vitamin C, vitamin B, and vitamin B1 and magnesium that helped me snap out of it. During the winter month, I add extra Vitamin D.

On top of that, I've also been taking 5-HTP but only for a few days. I can't say that I've seen dramatic results, however, after taking it for about a week it seems like things that would normally send me into a depressed, miserable and hopeless state seem to have less of a dramatic effect now. Although this is partially due to that I've been trying to retrain my though process as well to focus on the positive and not the negative, so I'm sure this is a part of it.

I suggest you try this, b/c about two weeks ago I was seriously considering going on anti-depressants, now I feel like I can get out of depression myself.

Timelapse of Stockholm at Night
Timelapse of Stockholm at Night

Archived