what are your tricks for staying motivated?

redrose85

When you're excercising 4-5 times per week, what gets you out of bed and to the gym? For the last month, I've been good about going at least 4 days a week, first thing in the morning, but I worry that my motivation may be slipping because the scale isn't moving. Any tips or tricks?

I feel great while I'm exercising and after, so that's enough motivation. If I don't exercise for more than a day or two at a time, I don't feel good.

The scale might not be tipping because of your diet. what you put in your body is really important if you're trying to lose weight. What do you do at the gym? That's important too..

If you are meeting someone at the gym at a certain time it's harder to let yourself not go. That's what really gets me there. At my college we had a workout class you get credit for, but if you miss too many classes you will fail. THAT is motivation. You just always go, period.

And as far as losing weight, the scale doesn't tell the whole story. Water fluctuates in your body & muscle weighs more than fat, both of which can be misleading. A better test is to try on a certain pair of jeans every week that are pretty fitted. When they start to feel looser, you know you're good! If they get tighter, it tells you to work out a little longer & cut back on fast food/sweets a little more.

Number one for myself was always having a good plan for a workout routine. Be it Chest, Shoulders, Arms, Back, or Legs. And just plain old discipline.

A workout partner or two because nobody is 100% all the time. We call each other and discuss our plans for the following day. Then we push each other along during and after each workout. Teamwork basically.

Your favorite music works a bit too and crank it up. But want to mention we workout in out own home gym so that may not work for you .

Lots of small things just add up for me. And not any one thing.

Of course I'm a guy and the goals are probably a bit different.

It is a proven fact that it is alot harder for women to lose weight than men. That may be a hit point if you are working with a male partner.

I would say vary what you do and how you work out.

Cardio is not always the best, because you need a weight training regiment along with your diet.

Also, Four good supplements for weight loss....

1. Fiber helps in digestion

2. Green Tea with EGCG

3. Chromium

4. Water - lots of it

I have upped these recently after alot of research, and it kicked my metabolism up a notch.

There is alot of information out there about motivation....keep pictures, before and after.

Change what you do to work out and who with.

motivation to go to the gym. mental. completely mental for me. i have to keep discipline because of my competitions. the feel of the trophies in my hands keep me motivated. i just FORCE myself to do it. no matter how tired i am or what time it is, lifting is an inevitability.

why you are not seeing results maybe completely different story. might want to look into what your training is and what your diet is. if you could post more details on that, it would be more helpful.

I come home dead tired and there is no way I feel like exercising, but I know once I do I'll feel great and refreshed.

I tell myself it's only one day. If I can't stick to this promise to myself, I'll never be able to stick to any promise I make to myself. Also, noone else is likely to stick to a promise made to me if I can't respect myself enough to stick at it.

why you are not seeing results maybe completely different story. might want to look into what your training is and what your diet is. if you could post more details on that, it would be more helpful.

Diet is huge when you want results. I Plateau'd for a while untitl I tried changing my diet and then, BAM! lost 7 more pounds. As for motivation, I take a boxing/cardio class with some friends so we kinda motivate each other to go and it's alot of fun and I enjoy it. You should look into doing some sort of group training with other people or take a class offered at your gym. It really helped me get back into it.

To give you a better idea, I do cardio (30-40 mins) 4 or 5 days a week. This usually consists of intervals on the bike. I time the intervals according to certain songs on my ipod. When the songs speed up, so do I. I also jog on the treadmill, or hike on the treadmill. I do quite a bit of walking in addition to gym cardio. I do weights, focusing on all body parts, but especially on the core. I lift enough weight to be challenged, but to avoid bulking up. A typical day of meals for me is:

1 cup of whole grain cheerios (sometimes with a sliced banana) w/ 1% lactaid milk.

Lunch lately has been sushi, or soup (squash, veggie and bean, etc...) with cheese and crackers. Sometimes I'll have a sandwhich or a salad made with spinach, mushroom, onion, tomato, and maybe an egg. Dressing is usually nothing, or caesar.

Dinner varies widely. Some days I have meat, some days I don't. Last night I had coq au vin with roasted potatoes and a side salad with a balsamic vinagrette.

Some days, I will treat myself to something sweet. Last Thursday, I had a piece of cheesecake, but haven't had anything like that since. I've also turned to wine instead of hard liquors and sugary drinks. I have a soft drink maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks, just when I really need a caffeine boost because coffee doesn't agree with me.

I have been doing my best to keep portion sizes down, but I think I do slip up every now and again. Pasta is a huge NO for me... made pasta for dinner this weekend and ending up eating way more than I should have. I can't resist taking extra portions of pasta, so I'm just pretty much done with it.

Archived