What the hell??

yourfaceinmanila

At work today, the manager called me into the office and with a smile on his face asked, "what's with the little doodles in the staff room?"

In the staff room, there are tons of magazines and newspapers as you would expect. Some people like to draw and doodle in them. I do. Usually I draw the standard speech bubbles and whatnot, fake beards, glasses. I also like to draw swastikas on peoples' heads, or write words like "REGRET" or "TWENTY YEARS PAST IT" too. This is because it's FUNNY.

Turns out people at my work have gone to the manager and complained. Apparently - according to the manager - some of the younger members of staff (i.e. the 16 year olds who work at the weekends) found it "worrying and disturbing".

Why? How could they fail to see it as anything but stupid doodles? Also annoying is that another co-worker likes to draw huge penises on everything. If you've seen Superbad you know what I mean. But he's been there longer than me, is younger and more popular. Don't know if that's a factor but I didn't bring it up with the manager and I wish I had.

This is obviously a really funny and stupid situation. But I feel really bummed out by it. I'm sure the feeling will go in a couple of days but is there anything I could do or think about to help me along??

those magazines are for "public" use and you're vandalizing them. it seems like your manager spoke to you nicely about it.

EVERYBODY "vandalises" them. Like I said, there's a fella there who's been drawing huge penises on them for a year or so now. Everybody writes and draws on them. Just so happens that I used swastikas and someone somehow took offence.

Of course I will stop, I'm not an idiot. The manager thought it was funny.

What I don't understand is WHY people find it worrying. I don't think anyone genuinely finds it offensive; I think they feel like they're supposed to find it offensive. It's like when people speak out against movies: it's never them that will be influenced and go out and do something crazy, it's always those other people, those crazy people who will do it.

So I draw a swastika. In what way is that unnerving?

Of course I will stop, I'm not an idiot. The manager thought it was funny.

What I don't understand is WHY people find it worrying. I don't think anyone genuinely finds it offensive; I think they feel like they're supposed to find it offensive. It's like when people speak out against movies: it's never them that will be influenced and go out and do something crazy, it's always those other people, those crazy people who will do it.

So I draw a swastika. In what way is that unnerving?

you're asking WHY?

millions of people died in nazi germany...it's a symbol of those times...it wasn't even relatively long ago...that's why.

do you not know of the history of the holocaust and nazi germany?

THIS is what I expect the people offended at work to be saying. When the fact is that my grandmother was the only surviving member of her family because the rest were killed by Nazis. I am of German descent.

It's funny because... well, because it's funny to see an article about how the New Kids On The Block have reformed, except they all have swastikas on their head (except for Donnie, who has "I

And if there is a Heaven and Hitler is there and looking down on us, and people are STILL fearing a couple of lines that form some sort of symbol he used, then wouldn't he feel like he has won? What if he saw people nonchalantly using it to mock things? He'd feel a right prat.

THIS is what I expect the people offended at work to be saying. When the fact is that my grandmother was the only surviving member of her family because the rest were killed by Nazis. I am of German descent.

It's funny because... well, because it's funny to see an article about how the New Kids On The Block have reformed, except they all have swastikas on their head (except for Donnie, who has "I

And if there is a Heaven and Hitler is there and looking down on us, and people are STILL fearing a couple of lines that form some sort of symbol he used, then wouldn't he feel like he has won? What if he saw people nonchalantly using it to mock things? He'd feel a right prat.

just because you do not find it inappropriate to draw swastikas, it doesn't mean that other people don't. do you understand now though, why people comlpained about it?

Symbols carry meanings that last...look, it might not mean something to you and that is perfectly fine. That issue really isn't up for debate. Stop defending yourself, just accept that someone took offense and get over it and don't do it unless you feel like leaving your job over it.

Maybe your sense of humor is the type that some don't get...for instance, I dont know if you were joking about Hitler being in Heaven. Its not funny to me, its slightly offensive, but I am not against your right to do it as I don't see how it would cause harm. Now, if you supported Nazi ideas, that'd be another story.

What is offensive for some and not for others is a cultural thing and you have to recognize that others might not share your idea of humor. Look, you might be hilarious...but this is the workplace.

Of course I am stopping! I have made that clear. People are upset and although everyone I've spoken to thinks it's absurd - the assistant manger was even there once when I was drawing them and we were attempting to draw attractive "accessory swastikas" - I will stop.

However I don't think people are GENUINELY offended. I think people thought that they SHOULD be offended. Of course, seeing a soccer player holding a huge 3" c*ck with shaded veins and ejaculating into his mouth isn't offensive in the slightest.

well, i think that's offensive and juvenile as well and i hope that the manager talks to the person who is drawing that too.

i think it's best not to draw at all in the magazines and stay professional.

I think your points are entirely valid and correct - what I am saying is why is a swastika a no-no yet a huge penis is fine? You could have my co-worker here saying the same thing - "someone complained about my pictures of penises but the swastika guy is left alone" and it would be the same.

As for Hitler in Heaven, I don't want to get into that here. But that stems from a conversation I had last year with a pastor when I was abroad for some time. Hitler believed in Jesus and frequently confessed his sins, so technically he's in Heaven. It's one of the many delightful discussions one can have on Christianity.

However I don't think people are GENUINELY offended. I think people thought that they SHOULD be offended. Of course, seeing a soccer player holding a huge 3" c*ck with shaded veins and ejaculating into his mouth isn't offensive in the slightest.

how do you know that for sure?

and, even if they were not genuinely offended - it is regarded as an offensive symbol. if there are 20 men in the workplace, no women, but one of the workers draws sexist cartoons in the notebooks, of which none of the workers have a deep or "genuine" offense to because they are male and aren't "affected" by it-but would imagine it could offend others-would it be so wrong for them to report this to management?

the swastika is in western culture still in general an offensive symbol. it doesn't matter to whom.

I think your points are entirely valid and correct - what I am saying is why is a swastika a no-no yet a huge penis is fine? You could have my co-worker here saying the same thing - "someone complained about my pictures of penises but the swastika guy is left alone" and it would be the same.

As for Hitler in Heaven, I don't want to get into that here. But that stems from a conversation I had last year with a pastor when I was abroad for some time. Hitler believed in Jesus and frequently confessed his sins, so technically he's in Heaven. It's one of the many delightful discussions one can have on Christianity.

yeah, these aren't topics that you should be getting into at work.

Hitler was involved in the occult. He was raised Catholic but he certainly wasn't a Christian. Jesus was a Jew...how could Hitler exonerate and worship a deified Jew?

Hehe now I've done it this is too big a topic to get into here so I'm going to avoid it.

I think I have my answers now, my boss probably said it best when he said that "it CONFUSED the YOUNGER members of staff". Like the thought that maybe I was a Nazi. Basically I'm the new guy and my humour is a little too dry and ironic for them. Popular guy and his clearly comical penises pose them no threat.

Hehe now I've done it this is too big a topic to get into here so I'm going to avoid it.

I think I have my answers now, my boss probably said it best when he said that "it CONFUSED the YOUNGER members of staff". Like the thought that maybe I was a Nazi. Basically I'm the new guy and my humour is a little too dry and ironic for them. Popular guy and his clearly comical penises pose them no threat.

Well, there you go. It was just a bunch of teenagers causing a ruckus. Sometimes rules are stupid but if you want to keep things friendly in your job, you do them.

Yay I think it's got at me because I don't know exactly WHY people felt offended. If someone had said something when I was drawing them, I would have immediately stopped and discussed it with them.

But that didn't happen the first time I was 25% of the employees and we were talking about them and laughing at who I was drawing them on and why.

Or the next time with other people.

Or the next time, in front of the assistant manager.

I made a sculpture out of a banana skin today, that went down well. I'll stick to that I think.

No, in this country in this day and age amongst the people I work with, I cannot see why people would get offended at swastikas. I can understand them being offended at swastikas AND the giant penises, but not just the swastikas.

I work at a big entertainment store. We're all young, open minded people which only adds to the confusion.

Archived