Attending a trivia game with group from meetup.com tomorrow

hers

The only link removed stuff I've done is movie groups and a book club. I've only been to a few of the movie group but it was just going to watch the movie with strangers--ddin't seem to be a big friendship type thing. I stopped going to the book club b/c the organizer was a little snobby and/or fake and also treated the book club like schoolwork.

Since I'm on the lookout for new friends, I joined some dinner groups, a happy hour group, and a meetup group catering to people in my neighborhood (they do things like trivia, meals, jogging, movies, etc). Tomorrow they are meeting to do trivia at a bar down the street from me, so I'm going to go.

I'm nervous. Why do I feel like I'm meeting someone for a blind date?

So far only 4 people, including me, have RSVPd to this event so luckily it wont be too big that I'll feel weird. I do better in small groups. But I still feel nervous.

Any tips? It's 70s/disco trivia, which I know pretty much nothing about, but I want to go for fun. They're having another meetup for trivia at another bar the week after thanksgiving as well. Hopefully it's a fun group that'll get me out of the house sometimes!

Ah I don't rellay care mcuh about the trivia. I suck at it even when I know it! Unless it's "Friends" or "Golden Girls" or "How cute is my dog?", I won't be able to answer much!

I'm mostly just nervous about meeting new people.

I've gone to one meetup group event. Only one other person showed up and they ended up leaving halfway through, which left me sitting at a martini bar alone and halfway through the 'performance'. She did pay for my drink, aside from that, I was annoyed.

Good luck. Tips? Just be yourself. Relax and have a good time.

hers..........does this mean you're staying in ATL? I think meetups are cool.......but I feel your pain on attending that first one by yourself. It's brutal. Don't give up on ATL because you're lonely and haven't given it a shot. I know exactly what you're going through.

Anyways, trivia sounds fun! What a good way to meet some people. Small groups are the best, and if they're in your 'hood.........all the better. Let us know how it goes.

PS-is that a new tattoo?

hers..........does this mean you're staying in ATL? I think meetups are cool.......but I feel your pain on attending that first one by yourself. It's brutal. Don't give up on ATL because you're lonely and haven't given it a shot. I know exactly what you're going through.

Anyways, trivia sounds fun! What a good way to meet some people. Small groups are the best, and if they're in your 'hood.........all the better. Let us know how it goes.

PS-is that a new tattoo?

I'm still in teh decision making process about staying. If I do leave, I can't go till February, b/c my lease isn't up till then. So I'm really not sure. I'm back and forth each day. I started a solo journal on here where I'm writing some about it if you want to follow it.

What tattoo are you talking about?

That's awesome. You're dedicated to your dog. Most people would cringe at getting a gf's name tatted on their chest or leg..........you wear your dog with pride. And for that.......I salute you!

Well she is my baby girl! I lov her to death, even though I just yelled at her and told me to leave me alone--she keeps bringing her toy to me and it is time to calm down! Erg...

I also have dog paw prints on my foot b/c I love dogs a lot!

Ah I don't rellay care mcuh about the trivia. I suck at it even when I know it! Unless it's "Friends" or "Golden Girls" or "How cute is my dog?", I won't be able to answer much!

I'm mostly just nervous about meeting new people.

I love the Golden Girls and have every episode of Friends, hahaha!

IF they're meeting at a public place you could always scope them out before you attend. There are a lot of no-shows with these meet-up groups, a lot of people chicken out. Put the shoe on the other foot, the organizer is going to be there in the least, and it will surely bother them if they get stood up by everyone (which does happen at these events).

Well I ended up going, and more people than had RSVPd to it showed up, and it was actually very fun and we got 2nd place (the questions were not 70s theme; just the music was). But the group was a lot of fun and very nice and I'll be joining them again!

Good for you. I'm deathly afraid of these meetup groups. I just feel weird. I've been to a few, but never by myself. I just don't have the balls. I admire your courage!

Thanks. I had only been to a movie group and a book club but didn't go to many meetups at all. This one meets often and seems very fun and they were very welcoming and friendly. I liked them. One girl even said to me "We're gonna have to make you less introverted!" Funny but sweet.

10 Unique Date Ideas
10 Unique Date Ideas

Archived