Why are people so rude??

icstarz11

This is probably a very minor event, but it really upset me! I work at an engineering firm, executive assistant to our V.P. One of my duties is answering the phone. So I am obligated to be nice, no matter what because my demeanor reflects our company.

I just had a woman call me and ask for someone who does not work here. I politely told her no one of that name works here and she flat out said "yes he does". It caught me off guard because i know my co workers. So again I said no, he does not.

She then told me just to send her to extension 3726. Our extension numbers here for example 82822 or 82823 etc. I told her we do not have that type of extension number. She said "yes you do".

At this point, I am getting a little angry trying to be polite to this person because she keeps telling me i am wrong when i am not.

So when i again said no we dont have those extensions i think you have the wrong number. She said "whatever just give me stephanie love". Again i said no one of that name works here. She laughed and said yes she does i just spoke to her.

I told her she might have spoken to her but not at this number. We have neither of these employees. She corrected me yet again by saying "i just spoke to her", while laughing. I got silent for a minute because i didnt know the nice way to tell her off, so i said no mam, you didnt.

To which she laughed and called me a f**** idiot and hung up on me.

I waited on her to call back because apparently she believed she was right and she never did. Maybe she figured out, oh i did have a wrong number.

Sorry for the ramble, it just really ticked me off.

I wouldn't get mad about that. I'd just say, Okay whatever you say, and send her somewhere. If it somehow came up you could just explain it to someone. Sometimes people aren't being rude...they have urgent business nad need to get to their destination...she shoudln't have said the fword or called you a name but you shouldn't have argued with her. When people are stubborn like that, you just do what they want and let them figure it out themselves. If she called back, I think its okay to be firm and tough with her. Its not impolite after she escalates it. I've dealt with lots of rude secretaries before who think that they are the end all be all...so it comes from both ends. Especially when you're looking for a job...a lot of secretaries know you're in a vulnerable spot and act like total jerks to you...like you're some kind of pee on for them.

THing is, just ignore idiots, don't argue with them.

Wow, there is no need for that kind of rudeness. I'm surprised you were able to keep your cool with her. Anyway, I do think it's hurtful when a complete stranger says something so vulgar and hateful. I know it's hard but try not to take it personally. There are lots of jerks out there unfortunately.

People that are rude are just miserable and try to make you miserable. Dont let it effect you. Its one thing to be nice to customers/clients/co workers etc but you should have hung up on this chick after the 2nd time you said "he does not" lol

Happens ALL the time here. I'm a receptionist, so I get rude phone calls all day, too. What I usually do is, when someone is really pissing me off...I act extra nice. I sound super enthusiastic, while they're bi*chin on the other line, & it really pisses them off loll If she called me a "fu**in idiot"...I'd say "have a great day ma'am =]"

Don't let it get to you. You should feel good for keepin your cool.

People can be really nasty over the phone or in person. Where I work I overheard one lady yell at our receptionist. If that where me up there, (and I sometimes do reception) I would put my foot down and tell her to either talk to me in a calm way or I'll will have to ask to leave. You have to be a little aggresive with these certain people if they go a little too far. If that nasty lady calls again just hang up on her. Don't let these ignorant people upset you too much..

Happens ALL the time here. I'm a receptionist, so I get rude phone calls all day, too. What I usually do is, when someone is really pissing me off...I act extra nice. I sound super enthusiastic, while they're bi*chin on the other line, & it really pisses them off loll If she called me a "fu**in idiot"...I'd say "have a great day ma'am =]"

I usually wave and smile at people who cut me off or tailgate me in traffic.

Hopefully it makes them stop and wonder what they're so angry about!

Thats awesome! I love it ...they get more mad at that than anything, way fun.

Thats awesome! I love it ...they get more mad at that than anything, way fun.

LOL I know. Also, one time a few months ago, I got a call from this woman who insisted that the number she's calling is a dentist's office (it's a real estate office). I kept telling her that there's no way there's a duplicate number for a dentist's office. After a few minutes of her insisting & me trying to convince her, I asked, "Ma'am, just what is the number you're dialing?" & when she repeated it, she was a number off, so she said "Ohhhh", & I said, "I forgive you" & hung up.

What!? She was annoying!

LOL I know. Also, one time a few months ago, I got a call from this woman who insisted that the number she's calling is a dentist's office (it's a real estate office). I kept telling her that there's no way there's a duplicate number for a dentist's office. After a few minutes of her insisting & me trying to convince her, I asked, "Ma'am, just what is the number you're dialing?" & when she repeated it, she was a number off, so she said "Ohhhh", & I said, "I forgive you" & hung up.

What!? She was annoying!

lol, thats great! you sound as smart ass as I am.

Yeah acting nice is the easiest way, but I had situation with a guy at 7/11. Was a total * * * * * , really bad person who threw cigarettes on the ground when I purchesed them and was just plain rude.

so the next time I saw him I told him to cheer up and don't be so angry then I reported him to management.

He was a worker there and threw your stuff on the ground? Seriously?

Archived