Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman....

brahman

I would really like a suggestion of a book that actually teaches emotional intelligence, like actually has a program for you to follow. This book was so sadly disappointing because all it is, is one giant book of case studies. the book right up until the end does not outline a plan for the readers to actually apply to themselves for developing better emotional intelligence. This book got such great reviews, but really does little for the reader who wants to change them self for the better.

i totally love the book. exactly for the reason that it was trying to understand the biology behind emotions without making judgements, without extrapolating. before we can start to change our behavior/emotions shouldn't we start first their basis?

I would say the first two chapters, and the chapters at the end dealing with emotional intelligence in schools were the best ones. but really after the first two chapters the author could have stopped and went on to explain step by step programs that teach emotional intelligence. The only thing a reader can do with this book as far as that goes is to try and mimic the things talked about in stories in this book. Understanding a basis is one thing, but now I need to know of some programs. And as for someone who was already sold on the idea of becoming more emotionally intelligent, the book is really more of a preaching to the choir. I do not doubt the knowledge this guy has, but the book was still disappointing.

Archived