Decision making

dani_katze

Hello! I would appreciate if someone could give me some decision making techniques. I have been thinking about a big decision I have to make for months, but when I come to a conclusion I used to feel insecure and start thinking all over again. I have done a list with pros and cons with marks hundred of time...

Thanks in advance,

Dani

Hi there Dani

What is the big decision that you have to make?

That is certainly a great process - a pros and cons list. When you do this, do you reach different conclusions, or reach the same conclusion that is one that your heart is telling you is wrong and thereforee you are insecure about it?

Mark

Hi Mark,

the decision is about whether to buy a department with government help in some area that I don't know really well (downtown) and another with no government help in a area that I know very well... Both options have some maks of pros and cons, but I realized that I have to sacrifice something in both situations... downtown is good for me (near work, near gyms, which is my pation) and the other area is more expensive but I know that is prettier, quiet and I know the area, but it won't be that near of everything I want...

So I'm confused...

"The answer is no."

That's the best one I've ever learned. Whenever you're really uncertain of something, frame it as a yes/no question, and if you still can't decide, choose "no". The right answer is most likely to be no simply because of the way we choose to frame our questions. Simple as that.

Hi again Dani

Well that is a tough one isn't it.

So if you take the place downtown that has everything close at hand, how much better off will you be financially with the government help as opposed to the nicer place with no help? How much further away is the nicer place and what would it cost you to travel to downtown for work (and how long would your journey be?).

Mark

From the nice place to work is about 45 minutes during morning, 1 hour back home. And in this case I would have to wait months maybe a year to save more money and buy the department, so that I can afford this.

In downtown the help is really good and I could afford this soon. From the department to my work would be about 20 to half hour.

Hi Dani

Well, the place downtown has the advantage of really good financial help, and you would save a lot of time and money in the reduced travelling time. On top of this it is close to the other things that you enjoy.

Sounds like this option would also allow you to save some money for a rainy day.

Do you think you could be happy living in the downtown place?

Mark

Hi Dani

I think you are very sensible to consider the economic crisis because who knows what will happen there. The thing is to buy somewhere you can comfortably afford.

You say you don't know the downtown area very well, but can you spend some time beforehand having a bit more of a look around? Sometimes it can be quite exciting to explore and get to know new places.

Oh - I forgot to ask - is the place downtown considered to be in a safe area?

Mark

Archived